Portable dac for iRiver
Jun 8, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #32 of 38
I use my Rockboxed H140 as a bedside rig playing FLACs into a Beresford MkIII DAC and it sounds very good. Not portable, though.

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #33 of 38
The Micro DAC sounds excellent, and is a big improvement on the line out (IMHO it's also better than a lot of non-portable DACs). It is slightly on the warm side but this can be offset by choosing the right cable between DAC and amp... I use a Wyvern AG16.

Source is Rockboxed H180 (yes!), amp is a non Class A modded Larocco PRII with black gate caps and ceramic AD744s, into Ultrasone Edition 9s.

Audio nirvana.

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #35 of 38
Woah, caramelsoul! Looks like you upgraded a bit since you convinced me to join Head-Fi! Upped the drive *AND* traded in the SR-71 for a Tomahawk. Nice! I've upgraded pretty much my entire setup since I joined, save for the H120. If I ever have extra cash again (and after building a more satisfactory battery solution for my Monica DAC), I'll be looking into upgrading the H120. 20GB is just a bit constricting. Heh.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the RCA out is not that big of a deal. You can find RCA - mini as easily as mini - mini.

I have an excellent Blackmax RCA to mini connector. But going portable, each of these little inconveniences counts againts you. RCA jacks actually add a lot of headroom requirement. All things being equal, I'll use my cardas right-angled mini ti mini.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexnasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Micro DAC sounds excellent, and is a big improvement on the line out (IMHO it's also better than a lot of non-portable DACs). It is slightly on the warm side but this can be offset by choosing the right cable between DAC and amp... I use a Wyvern AG16.

Source is Rockboxed H180 (yes!), amp is a non Class A modded Larocco PRII with black gate caps and ceramic AD744s, into Ultrasone Edition 9s.

Audio nirvana.

Nice kit, Dude! What did you pay for that 80 gig hard drive?

Jun 9, 2007 at 10:25 AM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by lexnasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Audio nirvana.

could you please show photos of your killer rig?

Thanks
ito

Jun 9, 2007 at 10:54 AM Post #38 of 38
My Monica II cost 125 and maybe about another 40 in parts for truly portable with 6 AA bateries and some nice Black Gates for the output in Super E configuration. I did everthing myself but even at 3 or 4 times the price as a portable or home dac it would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back