Portable dac for iRiver
Jun 7, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #16 of 38
My Monica came out to about $300 total after all was said and done (parts and labor). That's not including batteries and the cost of other experiments I've been doing with power delivery since then. It also took a lot longer.

Mazuki (who built my Monica, and did a great job I might add), had offered a recommendation of trying the Super.Pro as an alternative before we ordered the Monica parts. Neither of us have heard the Super.Pro, though. I'm definitely curious, and would love to do some comparison listening (of course, no locals have responded to my post about wanting to compare with a Micro DAC yet either). It may be OK. Will it be better than the H1xx line out? Dunno, honestly. Could easily be, since my H120 is probably my second- or third-worst sounding source, though it's a pretty big step up from the god-awful sound of the headphone out on my laptop, and a noticable step up from the mediocre line out of the M-Audio Transit (the optical on that is great, though). My Cowon A2, Monica 2 DAC, and even the line-out from my work PC all sound better than the H120 line-out. *shrug* The Super.Pro COULD be an improvement, but there's no guarantee.

If you want a guaranteed, bullet-proof improvement, the Micro DAC is the way to go. If you don't mind something more fiddly, and can deal with the DIY aspect, the Monica really does sound great. The Micro DAC is plug and forget, the Monica is more involved. Both sound wonderful.

Jun 7, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #19 of 38
Looking at the site, I don't think that the DIYKits.com DACs (both PRO.DAC and Super Pro) actually take internal batteries but rather an external pack. So that could be a convenience issue. It would be great if someone tested these though.

Jun 7, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #20 of 38
Just worth nothing that the Monica also requires external power, and if memory serves, so did the Piccolo. I believe the Micro DAC is the only "Truly Portable" external DAC, which is only true for the current generation, as the upcoming models will require external power as well (the upcoming Micro Portable is combo DAC/Amp, and I don't think it has a line-out for use with a different amp).

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(the upcoming Micro Portable is combo DAC/Amp, and I don't think it has a line-out for use with a different amp).

Which is really unfortunate. Man would they have a killer product if they also provided a DAC out. With that flexibility, how could you not buy it? As it is, I'm still mighty curious. I have been saying that I won't bother going portable with a DAC and the H140; the Micro Portable which kills two birds with one stone is a possible exception. (But it's a bit big compared to a Reference or a Hornet...)

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which is really unfortunate. Man would they have a killer product if they also provided a DAC out. With that flexibility, how could you not buy it? As it is, I'm still mighty curious. I have been saying that I won't bother going portable with a DAC and the H140; the Micro Portable which kills two birds with one stone is a possible exception. (But it's a bit big compared to a Reference or a Hornet...)

I also didn't like the sound of the Micro Amp. I thought it was muddy. But I also was using Future Sonics EM3, which have noticeably rolled-off treble and are bass heavy. I prefer the Tomahawk, by a significant degree.

Jun 8, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #23 of 38
I have the Pro.DAC you mentioned. It is a great little DAC, very very silent, gives a really good blackness to feed my hornet. It basically does everything it's supposed to for a $100 DAC. I had the tbaam before this and thought the ProDAC is much clearer and cleaner. However it doesn't knock my socks off - but IMO no budget DAC can do that because it's the 3rd ranked in improvement of SQ behind headphones and amp. Perhaps >$1000 DACs such as DAC1 or Lavry DA10 can, but @ that price it will probably just be diminishing returns. It does have USB, Optical, and Coaxial inputs so you have a lot of options. Also, on the website it says CS4397, but it is really CS4398 (as confirmed when I actually went into the store and asked).

However the Pro.DAC requires an external power supply, so you can't take it on the go.

Jun 8, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Pro.DAC......However it doesn't knock my socks off ...... Also, on the website it says CS4397, but it is really CS4398 (as confirmed when I actually went into the store and asked).

Interesting, It uses the same DAC as the Micro DAC (and even the Home DAC module by headroom). But from what you say the SQ isnt 'knock your socks off', so evidently its not up to Micro DAC standards?

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:29 AM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also didn't like the sound of the Micro Amp. I thought it was muddy. But I also was using Future Sonics EM3, which have noticeably rolled-off treble and are bass heavy. I prefer the Tomahawk, by a significant degree.

It's interesting. I have to hear the Micro Amp myself. Some audiophiles here people absolutely swear by it and others diss it. The controversy factor is really high (unlike say the Hornet or SuperMicro). From my perspective the improvement from the built-in DAC is something that has to be factored into the portable SQ equation. But agreed that it makes no sense if my ears don't like the amp sound.
(EDIT: I'm also looking to power Darths (and even DT880/600s sometimes), so I don't think that Tomahawk is the best choice. More likely the Xin Reference or Hornet with their big caps.)

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, It uses the same DAC as the Micro DAC (and even the Home DAC module by headroom). But from what you say the SQ isnt 'knock your socks off', so evidently its not up to Micro DAC standards?

I dunno, never listened to the micro DAC before.

But I don't have ears of an audiophile, so it takes a lot for me to say that the SQ improves by A LOT. What may be subtle to me, may seem night and day to other head-fi'ers.

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #28 of 38
Very nice dac!!! design better then headroom
wink.gif

and just with external power supply?

It's a very pity
frown.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by itobito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice dac!!! design better then headroom
wink.gif

Well, I guess so if pink is your thaaang.

It really isn't for portable use. RCA outs....

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I guess so if pink is your thaaang.

It really isn't for portable use. RCA outs....

Well the RCA out is not that big of a deal. You can find RCA - mini as easily as mini - mini.

But yes, external power supply for sure. And it runs pretty hot too, so definitely not portable.

Why would you want it for portable anyways? I cannot imagine anyone carrying their DAP + DAC + amp. Way too much gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back