Portable dac for iRiver
Jun 4, 2007 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

itobito

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I use iRiver h140 and headamp, and I looking for portable DAC. I found this one for 100 $, has someone of you tried it out? how is the quality? http://diykits.com.hk/

pro-dac1.jpg

thanks
ito

Jun 4, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
H120/140 have a good line out. The question is: will this be an improvement?

yea, definitly! I tried optical out with my arcam and that was realy a very BIG different from lineuot!

I see that you use headroom DAC... don´t you hear the differents between optical and line out?
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 38
x2. Running my iHP140 via optical to DAC - major improvement in SQ compared to line-out.

Jun 6, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 38
You guys misunderstand me. The Micro DAC is indeed a real improvement over the H140 Line out. That's why I use it.

The H140 line out is nonetheless pretty good. I'm questioning whether the inexpensive PRO. DAC unit that you link to above will be an improvement over the H140 line out. I honestly have no idea. Maybe, maybe not.

Jun 6, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 38
I allready know that headroom dac is good, but if I order it (Germany) with shippment and tax it will cost about 400 $!!
frown.gif
Is there any cheaper alternative for a portable dac?

look, I need here definitly dac:

PICT0011-1.jpg

Jun 7, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 38
Nice picture actually.
smily_headphones1.gif

Again, it isn't worth switching to the optical out unless the DAC you then feed is superior to the H140's line out. MicroDAC is. I definitely believe that PackGrog's portable Monica 2 is. Beyond that...? Maybe a used Picollo if you can find one or perhaps the DIYkits listed above. It would be nice if you could try one first.

Jun 7, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice picture actually.
smily_headphones1.gif

Again, it isn't worth switching to the optical out unless the DAC you then feed is superior to the H140's line out. MicroDAC is. I definitely believe that PackGrog's portable Monica 2 is. Beyond that...? Maybe a used Picollo if you can find one or perhaps the DIYkits listed above. It would be nice if you could try one first.

hey cooperpwc, how good is the iriver's SQ out of line out compared to the ipod?

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 38
I would go with a Monica II. It is better than most expensive home dacs let alone any portable dac on the market. Now you just need to build it or have someone build it for you with an optical receiver.

Jun 7, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would go with a Monica II. It is better than most expensive home dacs let alone any portable dac on the market. Now you just need to build it or have someone build it for you with an optical receiver.

all together, how much did it cost you to build the dac?

Jun 7, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #12 of 38
Has any one purchased this, or the DAC in a box? They use the CS-4397 DAC (Micro DAC uses 4398, dunno what the difference is).

Can you comment on the SQ?

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey cooperpwc, how good is the iriver's SQ out of line out compared to the ipod?

I have both. and I find iRiver lineout definitely better. I tested it with hedamp and beyer 990 and silver cable of me.

PICT0010-3.jpg

Jun 7, 2007 at 12:00 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by itobito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both. and I find iRiver lineout definitely better. I tested it with hedamp and beyer 990.

x2. I did another test last night: H140 line out versus iPod Video 5.5G through a Turbodock. Both connected to a Total Bithead (not a particularly high quality portable amp) by a 6 inch cardas cable and listening through my DT880/600s. The H140 sounded a lot better. More instrument separation, more air in the soundstage. Previous tests using my Millett Hybrid revealed even more obvious differences. The iPod Video line out is a bit muddy. (And actually the distortion numbers from the iRiver line out are excellent.)

Believe it or not, my DT880/600s sound pretty good plugged right into the H140 line out. Trebles and soundstage are very good, bass better than you might think but mids are underpowered and a bit thin. Still it's a very clean sound. My Wenge Darths are on the way and I also have a 75 ohm adaptor on its way. It will be fun to see how the Darth Beyers drive off the line out at 155 ohms. (110 ohms is the minimum to get proper performance from the H140 line out. A typical amp line in is kilo-ohms.)

EDIT: I should add that I'm listening to the H140 line out > Cardas > Bithead combination as I type this and it's pretty clean. I'm not jumping to use a portable DAC on the road. I will get more benefit from upgrade to a proper portable amp (like Xin Reference, Corda Move...) I can take the Micro DAC portably on 9 volt batteries if I want to demonstrate my cans to someone (it's very versatile in this regard) but for my own use, I don't think it's worth the bulk. Micro DAC at my night table, H140 line out elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back