portable DAC for iriver h120
May 22, 2010 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

High_Q

1000+ Head-Fier
What other Portable DAC have optical input that is not made by ibasso?

May 22, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 13
The MB-1 and MB-2 are made by iBasso but sold by Ryuzoh who posts on here from time to time. It is an optical input with dual Wolfsan dacs. Very nice and great sounding. It is about the same thickness and width of the D10 but about 3cm shorter. 

May 22, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #5 of 13
^^ Links pls
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 13
Head Room Portable Amp (with DAC option). The best sounding little beast for the Iriver IMO (I tried iBasso D10, Go-Vibe Vulcan, Go-Vibe Vulcan VB also.)

May 24, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #9 of 13
I really want to rig the uDAC into a portable player, or want a portable version of Buffalo 2.  But then I would end up carrying a huge battery.

May 24, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #10 of 13
I hope someone with experience and knowledge will do a group test of some of the portable DACs available and tell us which is top of the line.
It would be tempting to run a PMP and a DAC together. Now we also need a list of PMPs with Digital Out.

May 24, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #11 of 13
Head Room Portable Amp (with DAC option). The best sounding little beast for the Iriver IMO (I tried iBasso D10, Go-Vibe Vulcan, Go-Vibe Vulcan VB also.)

I would probably agree with Sergey if there would not exist such thing as Sonosax SX-DA2. That's swiss-made professional portable DAC with a monitoring headphone amplifier built in. AES, toslink, coax digital inputs, XLR balanced line out, two 9v batteries (good for about 8 hours on the go). Consider it a pocketable Nagra (BTW, Sonosax (if I am not mistaken) bought several years ago a professional DAC dept from Goldmund, another uber-expensive Swiss hi-end maker). Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible to obtain SX-DA2 now as Sonosax ceased manufacturing them. There may be few still left at distributors at $1500 a peace, and very rarely there may be one at ebay. IMHO it is the top of the line for portable sound, actually it is a perfect DAC that some people use in their big systems and claim that it is very good.

Head-fi user Sceptre was lucky to buy one at ebay and he is preparing a review in 1-2 weeks.

Sax is bigger than Microamp, and of course it is bigger than D10 and Vulcan. But who cares how big it is when the sound is good? As for a source - Iriver h140 is THE king here, IMHO. Upgrade a hard drive to 120 gigs, a battery to 2300 mah, install Rockbox and you are done. Put your gear in the shoulder bag, and use iriver's remote to do shuffling etc.

May 24, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
gav17: how big is the size? i think it is bigger than D10 and Vulcan?

Dimensions: 4.5"(11.5cm)x 3.5"(9 cm) x 1.5"(3.8cm)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back