Portable DAC and Amplifier Q3 MQA Edition Is Officially Released!
Jun 26, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #16 of 70
It’s just the single ended output of this amp is nearly as strong as the balanced output of BTR5?
240mw vs 330mw, MQA that's not enough against BTR5's form factor, convenience, Bluetooth and track navigation buttons.

I can understand that there are people who still find this acceptable but..

I heard the Q3 and BTR5 and couldn't find any sound quality improvements over the latter.

For a little more money BTR7 is an excellent choice with stellar features.

Q7 may find its own place in the current/future market not Q3 IMO.

Jun 26, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #17 of 70
240mw vs 330mw, MQA that's not enough against BTR5's form factor, convenience, Bluetooth and track navigation buttons.

I can understand that there are people who still find this acceptable but..

I heard the Q3 and BTR5 and couldn't find any sound quality improvements over the latter.

For a little more money BTR7 is an excellent choice with stellar features.

Q7 may find its own place in the current/future market not Q3 IMO.
If it have battery bypass switch like xduoo xd05 basic, it will be a good laptop companion as it have btr5 capability and able to be used for long period of time on your laptop without degrading the internal battery.

Jun 26, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #18 of 70
If it have battery bypass switch like xduoo xd05 basic, it will be a good laptop companion as it have btr5 capability and able to be used for long period of time on your laptop without degrading the internal battery.
Q3 and Q7 do come with battery charging on off button.

Oh if you were referring to BTR7. No it doesn't come with battery bypass option. Yes, it would have been great if it did.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #19 of 70
Q3 and Q7 do come with battery charging on off button.

Oh if you were referring to BTR7. No it doesn't come with battery bypass option. Yes, it would have been great if it did.
Its not on off charging per se.
I'm not sure on how this is executed in Fiio.

my btr5 have battery charge on off,
charge off, it will use internal battery
charge on, it will charge the battery while being use but i'm not sure whether during usage (while charging) it use the power from my laptop directly or from internal battery that is constantly being charged.

In Xduoo XD05 Basic, it have a switch that completely remove the internal battery use so it will only live from power from the usb-c. like a batteryless desktop dac.
that way it'll able to prolong the battery life during long usage.
kinda important because i'm not sure whether we could easily replace the internal battery in these thing.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #20 of 70
the Q3 MQA edition
An unfortunate choice of a name. Some of us would like to not think about MQA, prefering to ignore that "feature" in favor of others.

Jun 26, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #23 of 70
MQA is for people who prefer Tidal to other streaming services. I tried Tidal and for my purposes (mainly classical music listening), I found Qobuz better. That said, I like seeing more devices compatible with more streaming services. Nothing is lost by supporting MQA.

Jun 26, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #24 of 70
MQA is for people who prefer Tidal to other streaming services. I tried Tidal and for my purposes (mainly classical music listening), I found Qobuz better. That said, I like seeing more devices compatible with more streaming services. Nothing is lost by supporting MQA.
the argument in the minds of the people who understand that it creates a divide is two fold: (two things are lost)-

a) sound quality for the ‘have nots’- the way MQA works, the ‘non MQA version‘ very magically runs at a bitrate that even ‘poorly trained ears’ will detect as ‘less quality’ than what we get with standard playback methods that have been around for decades (this isn’t an accident)..
b) money goes to the people who made this happen…

some are desperately trying to vote with their wallets (/voices) to stymy market tactics like this
whilst this is a hobby, in a sector where people may have money to spend, ie not as evil as affecting peoples air or drinking water…, it still needs be stopped or we get stuff like microsoft does (to gaming and ‘industry’, arguably audio too -they have killed a lot of audio tech from market),but also intel, and nvidia etc etc etc..
(rage against the machine) “settle for nothing” had lyrics covering that the future will have problems if we don’t act in the present - ie the ‘wintel’ consortium are unstoppable (now), and ‘a few fines’ doesn’t/didn’t improve trading practices…

whilst many devices were proud of MQA support (when it launched), some ‘pushback’ now means those companies don’t always slap that MQA label up front/in bold/as a ‘main feature’
anyone in a forum who raises this topic isn’t an enemy of good music or ‘progression’ (quite the opposite)- they want the freedom for future generations..
“if we dont take action now, we will settle for nothing later, if we settle for nothing now…..” (rage against the machine)

I agree that ‘warring’ over hobbies/entertainment is ‘small fries’, but these things happen in little steps/gradually..
(like forcing a web browser as a file explorer to exit a competitor from the market.. eventually becomes ‘forcing ‘fake’ security updates that cripple three year old CPUs (so new ‘budget’ chips can equal/exceed them), and now, security updates are forced/OS platform updates are forced (in the mobile space) to get ‘essential’ (potential) cripplings…
they gotta sell us new chips, and new chips means ‘new products’, new products props up the whole ‘sales‘ industry…

it isn’t evil, until it is….

FiiO are not, btw, FiiO are awesome… I love getting updates for products beyond the sales period etc… the best companies do this!!

Jun 26, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #25 of 70
80mw vs 160 mw
220mw vs 330 mw
Fairly more powerful than btr5

Do the charge off mode is battery bypass? so the power used is supplied by the laptop/desktop usbc in and not from the battery?
Dear r31ya,

【CHARGE switch: Charging】
1. When the charge switch is turned to ON, the Q3 will be charged once connected to a USB device. But if the charge switch is turned to OFF, it will not be charged.
2. When connecting to a mobile device, it is suggested to set the charge switch to OFF in order to save the power of the mobile phone.
3. When the charge switch is OFF, the Q3 will not only stop charging the battery, but also not consume the current on the USB device. (That is, when the Q3 is connected to a mobile phone for decoding, it will not consume the power of the phone.)

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 26, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #26 of 70
Dear r31ya,

1. When the charge switch is turned to ON, the Q3 will be charged once connected to a USB device. But if the charge switch is turned to OFF, it will not be charged.
2. When connecting to a mobile device, it is suggested to set the charge switch to OFF in order to save the power of the mobile phone.
3. When the charge switch is OFF, the Q3 will not only stop charging the battery, but also not consume the current on the USB device. (That is, when the Q3 is connected to a mobile phone for decoding, it will not consume the power of the phone.)

Best regards

So if I understand correctly, Q3 relies entirely on its internal battery for operation and there is no option to power it from an external supply. So if the battery is gone one day, I would not be able to use it even if I plug it in?

Jun 26, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #27 of 70
Dear r31ya,

Best regards
this feature is SO good/handy to have..

I cannot count the number of times that ‘not having this control’ has caused me grief or an inability to use a DAC/amp in an impromptu setup.

saying that another way…
I could hardly count the innumerable times that ‘DAC/amps’ without this feature have caused me heartache.

as Montgomery Burns would say, “excellent”

nice addition, team FiiO!

Jun 27, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #28 of 70
So if I understand correctly, Q3 relies entirely on its internal battery for operation and there is no option to power it from an external supply. So if the battery is gone one day, I would not be able to use it even if I plug it in?
Yup, charge off only shut down the battery charging. It still use power from battery.
Charge on it will charge while using power from battery.
From btr5 have somewhat battery management to prevent over charging,

but all in all, its no power bypass like xduoo xd05 basic has.

Jun 29, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #29 of 70
Had the pleasure to own the Q3 back during its initial release. It was good but meh in terms of output power. Good for IEMs not good for headphones(some low-powered ones can be used).

MQA, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Jun 29, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #30 of 70
Had the pleasure to own the Q3 back during its initial release. It was good but meh in terms of output power. Good for IEMs not good for headphones(some low-powered ones can be used).

MQA, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
sure, but ‘those same over ears’ would sound worse, in many cases ‘direct from devices’ (and in my experience ‘many/most’ cheaper/‘budget’ devices ARE inferior to bigger, costlier parts..

i have used a Q3 (and won’t sell mine, but will loan it to anyone) and it has been used many times, including ‘with $4k+ ’cans) and it a help, rather than a hindrance… (and, yes, many headphones will scale upwards in ‘perceived audio quality’ with bigger more costly devices); doesn’t mean aFiiO Q3 isn’t helpful; it is a sizeable improvement over what the majority of the world presently use….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back