Portable DAC/Amp Combo Better for iPad than Amp Alone?
Sep 24, 2010 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

davewave

Head-Fier
So here's my dilemma (and I'd appreciate everyone's excellent feedback) ...

I do the bulk of my portable listening from an iPod 160GB Classic or Nano (everything in lossless format), with my Westone 3s plugged straight in.  I'm looking to improve on that by adding a portable amp (probably Pico Slim or RSA Shadow) )& LOD to the picture.

I recently received an iPad as a gift and learned that, by using the optional UCB camera adaptor, one can output a pure digital signal (ie, bypassing the iPad's internal DAC), which means that the iPad has the potential to offer much better SQ than any iPod if connected to a DAC/Amp combo.

So therein lies my dilemma.  Would it make more sense for me to purchase a DAC/Amp combo (eg, Pico DAC/Amp or RSA Hornet) to permit use with the iPad even though I more often use an iPod for portable listening and would probably prefer less bulk?  A related question is just how much better would SQ be for the iPad --> DAC/Amp --> Westone 3 rig versus iPod or iPad --> Amp --> Westone 3?

Thanks in advance!

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 11
Hey Now,

I am using the Vivid Technolgies V1 DAC/AMP with my iPad through the USB Camera Adapter. It sounds very good. It only costs about 100 bucks. I use it like this = iPad > USB CA > V1 > AKG K242HD. The V1 can drive my 300 ohm MB Quartz QP805HS headphones very good. The V1 gets a pretty good review from HPA. Good luck in finding the right set up.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the response.

Any thoughts on my other question?  Would the SQ be noticably better with a DAC/Amp combo product versus an amp alone?  If not, I'd be better off just getting an amp and letting the iPad's DAC do the conversion.  I would still get an LOD (to avoid the iPad's amp), but not worry about extracting the pure digital signal.

Just wondering if anyone's tested one approach versus the other for the iPad and have any thoughts to share.

Sep 28, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 11
If you are using a LOD with a mini plug you will be listening to an analog signal through the amp.  The sound quality is absloutely worth it.  If you are concerned about size, the Pico slim is worth a look as well as the Ray Samuels Audio amps. 

Oct 2, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
I use my ipad fiio with e7 and the sound is much better than what comes out ...from i pad to fiio e7 is used as the DAC and headphone amplifier obviously

I am not sure that we can use ipad directly with dac/amp via usb camera connection kit?? I tried ipad -> usb camera connection kit -> icon mobile (dac/amp) -> um3x, it works for 10-15 seconds then a message appeared in my ipad saying that this accessory consumed too much power from ipad, then it went off. tried several times with same results

Oct 2, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 11
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/507559/list-of-dacs-that-work-with-ipad  ipad don't work with nuforce mobile..

Quote:
I am not sure that we can use ipad directly with dac/amp via usb camera connection kit?? I tried ipad -> usb camera connection kit -> icon mobile (dac/amp) -> um3x, it works for 10-15 seconds then a message appeared in my ipad saying that this accessory consumed too much power from ipad, then it went off. tried several times with same results

Oct 3, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #10 of 11
Thanks JC. You're the first to really understand my question regarding whether or not the sq would be appreciably improved by using a dac/amp combo (to bypass the ipad's internal dac) vs an amp alone connected via LOD to iPad

In your opinion it would indeed be noticeable How about this question, is the Pico dac/amp (@ $499) that much better than the Fiio E7 (@ $80)? It's gotta be hard to make up that much ground in the price to performance ratio!

Thanks!

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Thanks JC. You're the first to really understand my question regarding whether or not the sq would be appreciably improved by using a dac/amp combo (to bypass the ipad's internal dac) vs an amp alone connected via LOD to iPad

In your opinion it would indeed be noticeable How about this question, is the Pico dac/amp (@ $499) that much better than the Fiio E7 (@ $80)? It's gotta be hard to make up that much ground in the price to performance ratio!

Thanks!

I don't have pico with me for the moment but I have tried pico and E7 (which I still have till now), they are definitely of different class, PICO is way better than E7. whether pico (dac/amp) worth $500 or not?, I think you also have the choice of ttvj (dac/amp), predator (dac/amp), and several others at this level

Users who are viewing this thread

Back