Portable, compact, cheapish headphone/canalphone which *doesn't* provide good isolation?
Oct 15, 2008 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Matcha

New Head-Fier
My little sister needs a new pair of headphones for her iPod nano. I've got her listening to my old Sennheiser HD280 at home, and she enjoys them (and loves my DT880), so I'm slowly pushing her toward high-end audio. Unfortunately, she's asked for Skullcandy canalphones for Christmas. I'm, uh... not gonna buy her Skullcandies. Partially because I'm just looking out for her, partially because I don't want to give them any money, and partially because I'd rather get her something a bit nicer.

Of course, she's only 14, and these will be taken to high school with her, so I'm not planning on getting her anything expensive, so figure on a budget of roughly $120. They'll be running from her nano unamped, so keep that in mind. She'll also use them in class (but not for city street walking).

All that said, here's the short list of requirements:

Very portable (preferably canalphones)
Poor isolation (needs to be able to hear while in class)
Not earbud-style (her ears don't really hold earbuds well)

Most of her music selections are various rock genres. Her favorite band is The Beatles, but her tastes range to Kansas, Pink Floyd, and more modern stuff, including a lot of pop/punk stuff (ugh!). As such, sound quality is not quite as important as it may be otherwise; nonetheless, she's not a basshead from what I gather, so nothing too bloaty. (I'd been thinking of the ety ER-6i, but I gather the isolation is too significant for her application.)

Any suggestions?

Oct 15, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #2 of 10
I think if she asked for skullcandies you gotta buy skullcandies. Then, you can buy something else you think is better than them and let her choose.
Also,
Quote:

So, it's ok now for kid to have earphones on while in class? :shocked:

Oct 15, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think if she asked for skullcandies you gotta buy skullcandies. Then, you can buy something else you think is better than them and let her choose.
Also,

So, it's ok now for kid to have earphones on while in class? :shocked:

Hahah. She has a pair of cheaper Skullcandies already, and she knows I won't actually buy Skullcandies. I don't think she expects headphones at all, because the way she asked was very sarcastic, but surprising her by actually buying her some decent 'phones would be nice.

As far as in-class listening goes, yeah, she's allowed to listen while doing work. Certainly not when the teacher is talking, and it's on a case-by-case basis, so if she stops paying attention when the teacher says something during worktime, she's gotta pull 'em out. She's also got a study hall period where it's okay to use headphones.

It was allowed at my school, too -- I finished just over four years ago. Again, it was at the teacher's discretion, and you had to use them respectfully. That's why the isolation needs to be mediocre.
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I was wondering. What kind of school allows their students to while earbuds while in class?

You could try the soundmagic:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...hipped-366687/

Here in Denmark students in most schooles are allowed to use daps and headphones during in class individual work periodes (at the teachers descretion) provided it does not interfere with others in the class. Studies have actualy found that they perform better work in this way. I have for over 30 years always worked with music as I actually find I concentrate better and get more done.

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Very portable (preferably canalphones)
Not earbud-style (her ears don't really hold earbuds well)

KSC-75?
Denon c751's (with Sony EX tips)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back