Portable Circumaural for girlfriend
Dec 3, 2010 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

shnitz

100+ Head-Fier
Cliff's notes: What are some solid contenders, up to $150, that are portable yet circumaural?

My girlfriend and I were at the Apple store a few weeks ago, and as always I wandered around the iPod section first, checking out the headphones.  She played along testing them out, and she really liked the fit of the Klipsch Image Ones, and now I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones.  She wants something relatively portable, comfortable, and closed, for situations like a library, a bus//train, etc.  But, she's been spoiled by head-fi quality sound with a variety of AKG, Ultrasone, Audio Technica, etc. (everything I have that's portable is supraaural, while everything that I have that's circumaural is the size of the headphones in my sig).

The Klipsch, along with being a bit bass heavy, are exclusively at the Apple store (which means never under MSRP), so I was wondering what some other headphones in this class are?  What else is in the circumaural portable market, this size:
-Klipsch Image One or Skullcandy Aviator like at Apple store
-Bose OE or QC15 like at Target/Best Buy

We went to Guitar Center, and the MDR-V6 is a little too big.  How big are the hfi-450 in relation?  These would definitely have the sound quality that I'm looking for, but I'm afraid they're much bigger than the V6's.  I may try finding a pair of Denon D1001, hopefully the size will be "offset" by the sound for her.  Looking through the portable headphone review thread, it seems like the reviews that look like the shape I want are:
JVC HA-M750
Equation EP3070
Maxell DHP-ii

Can anyone comment on these, or do you have any recommendations to throw into the hat before I pick one?  Thanks in advance.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 4
creative aurvana live, (many ppl say they are the same as denon 1000, but cheaper in price), i have a set and they are great, much lower price than your 150 budget, so u can get her something else as well !  But really, i can't praise them enough, good bassy mid oriented phone which actually has quality sound, not just bassy for bassy sake.  the earcups for me are circumaural, biggers ears wouldn't be since they are borderline circumaural. i also wear thick plastic frames and these are so comfortable on me.
only gripe is the isolation which they don't offer much on.

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 4
@OP: doubt you'll find the EP3070 in stock anywhere as they've been discontinued. The JVC HA-S700 or the newer S600 might be alternatives but don't expect them to sound better than the Bose set. They are about 5x cheaper though.

The HFI-450 is not that big but still not quite what I'd equate to portable Bose sets (it's about 30% bigger than the S700/DHP-II, for example). The Creative Aurvana Live/Denon D1001 is about the same size as the Ultrasones but it's saved (somewhat) by the lack of a bulky 9-foot cable. 

One set that I haven't reviewed yet but that might strike your fancy is the Philips O'Neill "Stretch" headphone. I forgot the model number but it's the only Philips set with a $120 price tag at the apple store. I paid $80 for mine at best buy and they are solid headphones. What they lack in bang/buck in terms of sound (wouldn't rank them nearly as high as the Denon D1001k) they make up in ruggedness and comfort.

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks so much for the responses, this kind of feedback is exactly what I'm looking for, especially with relation to sizes.  I don't mind trying the CAL!, but I think the size is a deal breaker for her, as I mentioned earlier, the MDR-V6 size was a bit too much of a compromise for her.  I'd love to try them later, but as I'm overall happy with my collection, I only expand it if there's a great deal to be had.  They were on sale in May for $50 from Newegg, I don't know why I didn't jump on them then, but if a similar deal happens again, I'll definitely buy in to them, at the very least to pass on to my brother.

I'll go check out the Stretch headphones.  Best Buy has a great return policy, which is nice since at my store the only headphones they have on display are the Bose and Monster stands, where you have to listen to their choice of music by pressing the demo button.

Another addition to my search, and the most likely candidate right now, is the seemingly new pair of Denons, AH-D310 and AH-D510.  Looks like Denon, along with Klipsch, have decided to tackle the mainstream contenders and provide a small circumaural headphone with ipod control compatibility.  Any idea whatsoever on these headphones?  Amazon's return policy is as good as Best Buy's, so I may have to be the guinea pig for these guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back