Portable CD players' line-out
Jan 26, 2008 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

qscq

Head-Fier
I made a happy discovery today when I found that a portable CD player that my mom uses has a easy access line-out (with mini-mini cable). Most mp3 players seem to have compulsory Dock access. Does that reduce SQ?

Amazon.com: Sony DEJ615 Portable CD Player: Electronics

I have meizu M6 and corda Move with shure E4's and PK1's. Meizu doesn't really benefit much for amping from HP-out so I have wondered what I might miss. I have no idea how good Move's DAC is compared to portable CD- or mp3 -players. I have been listening FLAC files on my laptop using Move's DAC+AMP + 12V external powersource.

Well, I was pretty suprised to find out that D-EJ615 has actually a bit better DAC then the one that Move uses or at least it sounds better to my ears. And this CD player isn't quite new because it is no longer available. I presume newer models might have even better SQ. If anybody has info on this matter, please share.

This makes me wonder how good SQ can you get from other mp3 players with their line-outs'. Are some mp3 players' combined with Move better sounding then Move using it's internal DAC? Have portable CD players some benefits on SQ comparing to mp3 players? (using lossless of course)

Jan 26, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 12
I bought the higher (I think) model of that, the D-EJ715 for $5 on trademe a couple of days ago
cool.gif

It not only has line out but also as a digital-optical out, one of the reasons I bought it. But since I don't have a mini-optical cable yet I can't test that.

Jan 27, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 12
When you use the cd player line-out the EQ is bypass, as well as the volume control. So the SQ depends on your amp or device to which you are connected.

I have a Sony Walkman cd player D-NE900 that I have recently recovered from the bottom of a drawer and it does sound very good. Since many years I went mp3 player but now with this walkman I enjoy alot the SQ coming out of it when playing cds.

Either with headphone or digital out the SQ is phenomenal. I am considering using it as a source for a future tube amp I want to buy.

Also considering getting a real "optical digital connecting cord" as I am using a single IC to my portable amp.

It's alot of fun getting up the ladder of high-fi...

regards,

Jan 27, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #4 of 12
A sound from HDD or flash player must be better, because reading cd on the go is not a good thing. A first rule of a good transport-no vibration.

Jan 27, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A sound from HDD or flash player must be better, because reading cd on the go is not a good thing. A first rule of a good transport-no vibration.

You mean every CD player is always bad if you compare to same quality DAC + lossless from computer? Does reading on the go really weaken sound to a point where it would matter?

Or do you refer to activities like jogging? Modern CD portable players should be doing even better job in this matter (thought I wouldn't use one on the move, It's quite big, mp3 players are for it):

This Sony Walkman Portable is an ideal on-the-go companion. Ultimate Skip Protection by Sony makes the CD Walkman player an ideal on-the-go companion, with greatly advanced digital-based system that provides 10-times faster shock recovery compared to conventional systems, ensuring virtually skip-free playing performance even during such active uses as jogging.

You are also assuming that HDD/flash players have at least equally good DACs. I made a question about this in first post among others, still waiting humbly for your wise council
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #6 of 12
No.
I'm saying Portable CDP must be worser than HDD\Flash based player because reading cds on the go is not a good thing. Ultimate Skip Protection by Sony is not a good decision, even Sony advises not to use it in order to get maximum sound quality. I have Sony d-ne700 pcdp and like its SQ.
Also, PCDP's are not good because disc inserting system is awkward(on all of them) and you making scratches on your favorite cd's.
I repeat, i'm only talking about portables here.
Quote:

You are also assuming that HDD/flash players have at least equally good DACs.

In fact, the're all mediocre. But again, we're talking portables here.
The most important thing here is whether you like it or not. I'm using my PCDP now, but really want to go HDD, because i don't like to mess with a lot of cd's while travelling, i don't want to ruin my cd's with scratches, i dont like PCDP big size, etc. YMMV.

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

I'm saying Portable CDP must be worser than HDD\Flash based player because reading cds on the go is not a good thing.

I assume you mean SQ as in the previous post and why is that?

Quote:

Also, PCDP's are not good because disc inserting system is awkward(on all of them) and you making scratches on your favorite cd's.
I repeat, i'm only talking about portables here.

I insert the disc just like I do with my laptop, from above and slight press. How could it make any scratches?

You are also assuming that HDD/flash players have at least equally good DACs.
Quote:

In fact, the're all mediocre. But again, we're talking portables here.

What I was supposed to say was: "You are also assuming that HDD/flash players have at least equally good DACs as in portable CD players."
Sorry about that.

But this is getting side tracked. I'm still looking straight answers with explanations to the questions on my first post. Keep it coming!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:31 AM Post #8 of 12
Yes, they have at least equally quality DACs, there's notning special in PCDP DACs.
About scratching cds. Hint: the damage comes not when you're inserting cd, but when you pulling it off. Just take ideal new cd, then put it inside and out of your PCDP like 15 times and check the scratches. Just trust me, i've had a lot of PCDP's. They DO scratching.

Jan 27, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the higher (I think) model of that, the D-EJ715 for $5 on trademe a couple of days ago
cool.gif

It not only has line out but also as a digital-optical out, one of the reasons I bought it. But since I don't have a mini-optical cable yet I can't test that.

$5! Congratulations.

If all is functional I think you'll find the optical out, paired with a good DAC, is a delight (and delightfully cheap in your case).

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$5! Congratulations.

If all is functional I think you'll find the optical out, paired with a good DAC, is a delight (and delightfully cheap in your case).

Yeah I thought it was a pretty good bargain. It seems to work playing CD's but every damn shop is sold out of optical mini cables! I couldn't even find an adapter to turn my current optical cable into an optical-mini
frown.gif

I'll get it eventually though.

Jan 27, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I thought it was a pretty good bargain. It seems to work playing CD's but every damn shop is sold out of optical mini cables! I couldn't even find an adapter to turn my current optical cable into an optical-mini
frown.gif

I'll get it eventually though.

Unless you have need of a second cable just get the adapter - straight or right angle, whichever suits your needs best (when you can access one).
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #12 of 12
you got a great deal fraseyboy...I have an EJ715 also along with the EJ1000 and EJ2000. connect these guys optically to your Beresford quickly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back