Portable Cassette Player Recommendations
Jul 26, 2005 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Dorfmeister

100+ Head-Fier
I've got a lot of old mix tapes I like to listen to. My Sony Sport Walkman has just broken and I am wondering if people can give recommendations on portable cassette players they think are particularly sturdy and good sounding.

Jul 26, 2005 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 8
I wonder if a vintage WM-7 I found might suit you? I'll see about changing its drive belt(I'm pretty sure that's all that's worn out on it). It's also sorta scuffed up, but it has Dolby noise reduction onboard and the build quality is decent- it's mostly metal. I have no use for it, as I haven't used tapes for some time now.

Not sure how it rates as a tape player, but if I change the belt on it(any ideas of where to get one, people?), I'll have a listen and give my opinions.
IMO, if you look in a Goodwill/Value Village/St. Vincent De Paul, you might find a nice used one, with a little luck. And a little luck never hurts
biggrin.gif

5000smile.gif
Abe

Jul 26, 2005 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 8
If tiny isn't a concern, the Sony WM D6C, WM D5M, and Marantz PMD 420 and PMD 430 are all stellar portable cassette recorders. My personal favorite is the PMD430. It's a 3 head supreme performing portable recorder, and would function as well as almost any home deck.

Jul 26, 2005 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 8
look for the sony DD-series.
the DD9 is one of sony's best, some like the DC2 more. for the 80's looks, i would choose the DC2. problems with the DD's is the centre-gear.

D6C is a brick, it's not that portable.

Jul 26, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 8
I have a fancy slim-line japanese walkman sitting around that i bought used from here a while back. I used it maybe for an hour then put it away. Drop me a line if you're interested and i'll dig it up and take pics. I believe it uses a gumstick battery and yes, it does sound nice.

Jul 26, 2005 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 8
don't forget the sony d3. like the d6 but smaller, and longer battery life. line out is really nice too.

Jul 26, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorfmeister
I've got a lot of old mix tapes I like to listen to. My Sony Sport Walkman has just broken and I am wondering if people can give recommendations on portable cassette players they think are particularly sturdy and good sounding.

I have a deluxe Sony Professional Walkman - the WMD6C

Better for play or record than most home units

It is is the for sell section of source components

Jul 27, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 8
I have a Walkman WMD6, have had it for years, and really like it, but find that the bass recording, response, is very 'soft'; this is particularly evident when one A-B's it with a CD of the recording.

I was also startled by how Sony UXPro CrO2 (?) gave a much wider and more accurate stereo 'picture' with the WMD6 than the Maxell, Denon, and a couple of other tape brands that I tested at the same time. They sounded fine on their own, but in comparison to the Sony UXPro's really provided no broad spectrum; kind of 'crowded' everything in.

Most of the plastic and rubber (interior - capstan wheel etc.) components had to be replaced at one point, because of wear. You might want to bear in mind how easy/difficult it would be to replace these kinds of parts on whatever it is that you end up buying.

GVDV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back