"Portable" cans for winter
Oct 22, 2008 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

moogoob

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all, we just had a cold snap here in Toronto and that got me thinking that my SR80s probably aren't the best choice for winter commuting. They don't play nice with hats or hoods, and their openness lets the fragile mylar of the driver get a nice blast of 30-below wind, which I don't want. Any suggestions? Budget should be equal to or less than the cost of new SR80s. Closed is optional- fitting under/over my winter hat is a priority. Also- no IEMs, though earbuds are okay.

Source is an unamped iPod Classic 80Gb.

Thanks for any responses.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He said he'll be wearing it over the hat. AT ES 7 can look nice over the hat.

What's the SQ like? They're a tad above my budget but I might be able to swing it if they sound nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Anyone try iGrados? Compare to Senn PX-100s? These might overtake my SR80s on overly-hot days too. (ear sweat while walking
wink.gif
)

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 33
They're about $30, closed, and over the ear which should work well with a hood. Very foldable. They are marketed a bit awkwardly by Sennheiser, but sound rather decent IMO. I'm comparing to my AT ATH-M40fs and JVC HA-RX900s, ad they've kept me quite satisfied on flights.

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xyrium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're about $30, closed, and over the ear which should work well with a hood. Very foldable. They are marketed a bit awkwardly by Sennheiser, but sound rather decent IMO. I'm comparing to my AT ATH-M40fs and JVC HA-RX900s, ad they've kept me quite satisfied on flights.

I'll check 'em out. I noticed the copy on Sennheiser USA's site says the word "bass" about twenty million times. This is troubling.
tongue.gif
Sounds like Sony.
tongue.gif
But for an inexpensive pair, they just might work for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 33
Buy PX-100.

Put on PX-100.

Put on hat.

Done.

biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 33
I got pair of Denon D1001 for this very same purpose. They are very light and fairly portable. They cover my entire ear so it serves a purpose of earmuffs. They are also very good in sound quality. You can get a pair for $90 on Amazon marketplace from "YogiComp" (I've purchased my D2000 and D1001 from this seller)

Oct 22, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 33
Yeah, that's what I meant by "awkwardly marketed". I haven't heard he PX100s, but I didn't know they offered as good isolation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll check 'em out. I noticed the copy on Sennheiser USA's site says the word "bass" about twenty million times. This is troubling.
tongue.gif
Sounds like Sony.
tongue.gif
But for an inexpensive pair, they just might work for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy PX-100.

Put on PX-100.

Put on hat.

Done.

biggrin.gif

Are you sure there aren't more steps?
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure there aren't more steps?
wink.gif

Oh yeah... plug that little cord into a trumpet, or something...
tongue.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Buy PX-100.

Put on PX-100.

Put on hat.

Done.

biggrin.gif

what kind of hats do you wear?

I usually wear a beanie during the winter and no legit headphones fit under it comfortably. I dont like wearing the phones over the hat, not because the material muffles the sound slightly (and it does), but because it pulls the headphones about a quarter of an inch further from my ears and with headphones, the closer the driver is to your ears, the better. The driver distance to frequency content loss ratio is actually really steep. try it, put on your best headphones, play some music and slowly pull them apart and off your ears, you'll see how quickly the SQ goes to ****.

Therefore, if you are going to wear I hat, I recommend earphones, not headphones. Unfortunately, I am currently looking for a good pair of those myself, so I can't really recommend anything myself.

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #13 of 33
The PX-100s are super small and flat, and fit fine under a beanie.

But maybe I just have a small head...

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

The PX-100s are super small and flat, and fit fine under a beanie.

But maybe I just have a small head...

sweet, maybe I'll invest in a pair of them soon... I have a small head myself. On that note, are there any other small, hifi headphones out there that would fit under a beanie, like the px-100? I'm actually for something a step up from the px100s actually, to make better use of my imod/sr-71 system.

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #15 of 33
PX100 isolation? No...they're open cans. Also, to answer a question the OP posed earlier: iGrado > PX100, SQ-wise. In NZ the price diff between the two is small, but I gather than the iGrados are a lot more expensive than the PX100s in the States?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back