I will use the iPod touch 2G

Do you use it with an amp?:
Sometimes

If so does it fit in your pocket?
No

Do you use headphones or IEMs?
both

What do you like about the controls?
One-handed controls are easy, double tap functionality is great. Volume dedicated buttons.

What do you hate about the controls?
It isn't that great for adding playlists or going between albums. The accelerometer is a bugger when listening on my side (goes to album view).

Can you use it blindly, without looking at the player, to change songs?
Almost. Double tapping the home button allows me to change tracks (volume done on the rocker), but I have to remember where the 'buttons' are located.

Does it have packaged software?
What do you like or hate about it? I use iTunes which works fantastically. I used to use other software apps with different players, but then discovered iTunes did everything so much more quickly, so I have used it with all of my DAP's since then. I love that I can drag and drop from it to any player that connects to a non-window's OS. I love that it is easy to create playlists, add songs, detect changes in the library and a host of others. I don't like that now, all my apps, movies, subscriptions come through iTunes, making it go slowly for some navigation. I use OSX.

Is downloading music to the player an easy process?
What can be made easier? It is as easy as I can ever imagine. I boot iTunes and drag and drop: easy as pie.

Can you sync your player wirelessly with your computer?
Depending on what you mean. Not for a lot of songs (that takes forever, but I can - even without Jailbreak, using Airsharing or other software, to play just navigate to the folder and run the file (music, picture or movie).

In general what do you like about your player?
It does not hiss, drives iems with no bass roll off at all, great stereo separation, good pollution control (distortion) and otherwise, is neutral. Gapless, which the iPod has is indespensible. It remembers different headphones; if I plug in my JH13Pro, it will remember the volume setting. Take them out and connect my DJ1Pro Ultrasone and the volume changes to its setting. Does not always work but at least 50% of the time it does.

In general what do you hate about your player?
I would like an EQ, and a way to change tracks or pause without using the home button for blind navigation.

Any suggestions?
Don't assume that people will want to listen with this set of principles in mind. If you don't like EQ and think it should be left off, don't just leave it off. Cater to customers - not to a niche. Also, gapless should not be avoided. Why would I leave MD or CD to come to 'great' devices which are 10 years newer, tout excellent SQ, but leave gaps between my tracks? It is like enjoying a Zen garden, only to be knocked in the head by a stray gold ball...

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj-kun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
na mate that's great, nothing bad about criticism if it improves my product.

Are you accepting pre-orders?
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #33 of 39
Sony S639

No. And I try very best not to.

A must

IEM

Folder browsing. Simple GUI (Sony's GUI is the best) which requires zero instruction. Dedicated buttons. Oh and its ability to turn on/off instantly is simply awesome.

Nothing.

In my case, it is impossible. I listen to classical music. The good thing is I only have to change "songs" once every 30-45 minutes
smily_headphones1.gif

Does it have packaged software?

Nope

Is downloading music to the player an easy process?
I don't download to my player, just rip from CD directly to the player.

Nope.

Great form factor. No hiss. No bass roll-off. Great imaging. Detailed.

No gapless. Quite narrow soundstage. It is great with symphonies but for concertos and solo pieces, I would desire a bit more space. File ordering is kinda dumb: if you have 1,2,3....,12 tracks in a folder which must be played in that order, it'll play 1,10,11,12,2.... No Flac support. It's not like I can tell the difference b/w FLAC and lame 0 but my main library is in FLAC.

Any suggestions?

If you want a lot of customers, concentrate on the GUI and the form factor. Gapless, lossless are musts. Hiss is unforgivable.

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #34 of 39
What is your current portable audio player?:
Ipod Classic 80gb 5.5G
Yes
It fits in most of my pockets. It won't fit in some of my jeans though.
Mostly headphones.
Been using an ipod since my 30gb 3G, the controls are just second hand by now.
Nothing really, but controls aren't that important to me. I usually plan out my playlists before hand or listen to whole albums at a time.
I can switch between songs on the same playlist/album, but changing from that is near impossible.
Does it have packaged software? What do you like or hate about it?
It came with itunes which is a complete abomination to man kind.
Is downloading music to the player an easy process? what can be made easier?
It's generally easy, just when I was using Vista x64, it would ask if I wanted to check the disk for errors everytime I plugged it in. Not a problem in Windows 7 though.
Nope, but I don't see that as a necessary feature as a cable isn't really a hassle to deal with.
Size, capacity, simple functionality.
No FLAC support, so all my music is ripped in FLAC and ALAC. I know I can rockbox it, I just find this easier.
Any suggestions?
Looking at your render, you can make it much wider. Most people seeking a higher quality audio player do use amplifiers with them, so you can give a bigger screen, meaning bigger and easier to use GUI without sacrificing too much.

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foooman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at your render, you can make it much wider. Most people seeking a higher quality audio player do use amplifiers with them...

But that's one of the main selling points of this player: that you have all the amp you need, right there included in the package. Still, I agree that the device could stand to be wider/taller to allow for a more finger-friendly touchscreen experience. Plus, if the device is slightly larger, then that gives you more room for the critical amplification circuitry, not to mention a larger battery (30 hours+ of audio playback on a charge would be good I think, but the longer the better).

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #38 of 39
What is your current portable audio player?:
Sony X1060

No. It has built in S master digital amp

Fits very nicely even with the leather case

IEMs - UM3x

Very intuitive, easily accessible, Touch makes navigating huge collection fast

Placement for manual controls interferes with the right angle iem jack

Yes

Does it have packaged software? What do you like or hate about it?
It does. Never used it. Freeware software is more efficient and light

Is downloading music to the player an easy process? what can be made easier?
yes it is, just copy and paste in windows explorer. Also can use WMP 11

No

Outstanding sound, fast UI, Great OLED screen, and excellent EQ

Bit expensive and has no on the go playlists and gapless Mp3

Any suggestions?

Don't put too many features into it. It is an Mp3 player. So focus on sound quality, fast UI , easy navigation , on the go playlist and gapless. No browser, no you tube , no wifi etc ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back