If so does it fit in your pocket?
No, it would never fit.

Do you use headphones or IEMs?
headphones.

What do you like about the controls?
Can use with one hand.

What do you hate about the controls?
scrolling through songs sometimes is really fast, other times slow :s

Can you use it blindly, without looking at the player, to change songs?
To move to the next track, yes.

Does it have packaged software? What do you like or hate about it?
iTunes, and i try using it once but it seemed slow and clunky. Winamp is far more efficient

Is downloading music to the player an easy process? what can be made easier?
It's easy to drag playlists onto it, but having it act like an external hdd would be nice.

Can you sync your player wirelessly with your computer?
no.

In general what do you like about your player?
Good UI and sound quality.

In general what do you hate about your player?
I would like optical out.

Sep 17, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #18 of 39
Portable Player Survey:-

What is your current portable audio player?:

which one??
wink.gif
IHP132CF, 120GB DIYMOD video, 32gbCF DIYMOD video, iphone 3G

Do you use it with an amp?:

yes, several

that depends on what rig i'm running that day, most configs will fit in my jacket pocket and some in jeans pocket, but my main rig must go in the front pocket of my bag.

both, mostly IEMs (JH13/UM3X) but sometimes I rock the woody D2000 or recable HD600 with Lisa III

with the iriver; the remote is sweet!! I wish all daps had one. hardware button for skip, volume everything. I actually dont mind the ipod clickwheel either, i'm pretty practiced at using it blind with playlists.

the joystick on the player itself is useless

the iriver yes, the ipod kind-of

yes, but I use rockbox on all of them except for my iphone 3G. I wish RB wasnt so laggy, and it could be more attractive, but its supremely functional

dead easy, drag and drop

only the iphone

they all sound bloody brilliant
wink.gif

that the battery doesnt last forever

Any suggestions?

sure, a small cold fusion reactor so I never run out of juice
wink.gif
or an easily accessible battery compartment so I can bring a spare battery and swap it out without having to look like a geek popping open my player on the bus
wink.gif
oh and digital output on mini coax or optical is a must

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #19 of 39

Sansa Clip+ and Fuze. Clix2 (but use rarely)

iBasso t4 & d10 (Fuze); FiiOE5 (Clip+)

Yes, although the d10 is a bit large so I only use it during colder weather when I have a coat on.

Yuin PK2 w/ Clip+ and q-Jays with the Fuze

The Clip+ redesign changed two things I didn't like about the Clip: the slider on/off switch is now a button and the volume control is now not under the headphone jack.

The ability to change volume (as well as advance songs) on the Fuze with taking off my gloves is a big plus.

See above. The Fuze still has a slider on/off switch. It is hard to use unless you have long finger nails. Excessive attention to displays (see below).

Yes, big plus in my book. With the Clip I usually never look at the screen while using it and it works well in that regard. The redesign also has square controls now, which makes it a bit easier to tell where your fingers are at. Again, the Fuze is impossible to switch off without looking. The volume control is better with gloves, but you need to see the player to do it well, as opposed to the Clip where you can just jockey the volume switch.

If you mean firmware, I like the replay gain feature for shuffle mode. EQ makes not difference to me as I don't use it. FLAC support is key. I don't use my Clix2 because of lack of FLAC.

Yes, use Media Monkey of WMP11. Both work just fine. Don't know what could be done to make it easier.

No, but never looked into it.

Sound quality is key. Both have good sound.
Ease of use and size are next. The Clip + works well for cycling and the gym, the two main areas of use. The Fuze is fine for walking in the winter when a larger player is not a problem.

Battery life for the Clip+ is only about seven hours playing FLAC files with an amp. That being said I don't know if I would be willing to sacrifice size for a better battery.

Extra features. I use my player to listen to music. Period. I don't watch movies, play games, look at photos or dictate voice recordings. Rarely, I use the radio. Slot Radio? I'll put them with my 8-tracks.

Display gets too much attention. The Clip screen has all the info I need. I only look at the screen to see the name of a song and that I do only rarely. While the Fuze and Clix2 have pretty screens I don't look at them much and think it is a bit of a waste to have all that energy go into them.

Any suggestions?

I have the AMP3 Pro 2 on order. So far it seems to combine many of the qualities listed above (although it will probably be too big for cycling).

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #20 of 39
iriver h320

sometimes, yes

yes but barely.

iems

all tactile, all on the front. 9 buttons total

nothing. it's perfection

with ease

not aware of any software. I use rockbox so software isn't necessary

It's as easy as it gets. Drag and drop.

No. I don't want that feature.

The sound, the line out, the look and feel and it supports rockbox.

Hiss from the headphone out is louder than any other mp3 player I own. Twice as loud actually.

Any suggestions?
Gapless is my #1 must-have feature. Gaps in music =/= high end.

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #21 of 39
IMOD

YES

Sometimes

IEM Usually

Click wheel makes navigation easy especially with the left right functions added by Rockbox

Although not a problem in my 4g 5gs use a smaller click wheel that makes navigation when driving more difficult. Also because I am using an IMOD with rockbox integration into car head unit is more complicated. Would be nice if I could control device with some sort of click wheel remote but still have default output options. It would be great if it made the click noises like the non rockbox version.

YES, if it is already on an album

It is supposed to have all the ipod crap but as stated above I use Rockbox and one of the reasons for that is to avoid iTunes. Device usage should be so simple that it requires only that the user click and drag songs to the device. What I love about the Rockbox system is that is uses KISS theory. It is nice however to be able to add software that can sync data but the nice thing about it is that it is an option.

It is simply click and drag it could not be easier unless it could read my mind.

NO

It produces the highest quality audio possible, supports virtually every format and has good battery life, it is possible with some effort to upgrade the HDD and add even more storage space in the future.

It is big and heavy although part of this is b/c I have it in an iTank. With iMODs being rare I need to ensure that it is not damaged.

Any suggestions?
Player should support an os like rockbox that allows virtually every format to be used. Should have high quality audio and line out for external high quality amps. Should be able to be used as a sound card when connected to a computer! Yes this is ideal b/c if the device truly has a great DAC it should be better than the integrated audio on a laptop and because you take both with you on the go such a feature is only logical! It should be easy to upgrade the HDD and battery. It should be able to read USB connected drives and use them for music ect! It should do all of this while being small and light so that it is easy to take with you. It could even be different sizes depending on the upgrades users installed. For example a larger battery makes it a bit wider and heavier. All of these features would create the greatest portable music player ever!

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #22 of 39
- What is your current portable audio player?

iRiver iHP-120

- Do you use it with an amp?

Yes, a dac/amp combo

- If so does it fit in your pocket?

Yes

- Do you use headphones or IEMs?

Both

- What do you like about the controls?

Many buttons for fast navigation. I hate touch screen, it is slow, fragile and leaves nasty fingerprints all over the player.

- What do you hate about the controls?

Sometimes the bottoms can be too small

- Can you use it blindly, without looking at the player, to change songs?

Yes

- Does it have packaged software? What do you like or hate about it?

Yes it has, but it sucks. I installed rockbox software on it instead.

- Is downloading music to the player an easy process? What can be made easier?

Easy, but can be slow with many lossless files at once.

- Can you sync your player wirelessly with your computer?

No

- In general what do you like about your player?

The sound quality and to be able to use its digital out with an external DAC.

- In general what do you hate about your player?

It could have even better sound quality.

Any suggestions?

Make a portable player with the same size as a iRiver iHP-120 and try to get close to the sound quality of the Hi-Fi man. Include a line-out and a digital out and a flash card slot for upgrading the capacity. I would buy a unit like that for 500$

Sep 17, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #23 of 39
iPod 80 G Classic
Yes
No, very handy small bag.
IEM's
love the click wheel
Nothing
No
No
Very easy. I actually like iTunes as it is pretty intuitive for a computer computer illiterate like me.
No
Large storage capacity. Line out. Excellent build quality
SQ. EQ is a disaster.
Any suggestions?
Sound quality from headphone out could be a LOT better. I shouldn't have to amp it.

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj-kun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Head-Fiers,
I'm currently doing an Product Design project for uni and was wondering if you guys could help me out in regards to my design.
The project is to design a portable audio player for a user group, and my user group happens to be audiophiles like yourselves.
smily_headphones1.gif

So if you could fill out one of these little surveys that would be great.

Sansa Fuze

No.

NA

Both

Most everything- I really like the wheel interface

Buttons aren't so fast to respond

Yes

I'm sure it does, but I don't use it.

Easy as can be using MTP through Winamp or drag and drop MSC

No

Sound quality, form factor, stylishness, support for many codecs, and Rockbox support

Nothing really. For my needs it's perfect.

Any suggestions?

Thankyou,

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #27 of 39
Lately, I've been using my iPod Photo, but I'll use my 120GB Zune for this post.

120GB Microsoft Zune

Yes, a biosciencegeek Cmoy

Without amp, yes. With amp, it depends on what pants I wear, but for the most part, no.

I own both, but my RE0's get used the most.

Just about everything.

There's no outline of the "center button," and I miss it when I'm using it at night or not holding it perfectly straight.

Yes, and with ease.

Yes. I hate that I can't edit songs on the Zune itself and have to go to great lengths to put it in "guest mode" so it won't automatically delete songs from my Zune when I delete them from my computer.

It's pretty easy and straightforward. Having access to more artwork of different masterings (ie MFSL and DCC artwork) would be nice. I can download that off the internet, but it would make me happier if I had that option.

I can, but I don't and have no desire to.

Very easy to use, great sound quality, great build quality, looks nice.

The firmware bogs down easily with lossless files and the Zune Team still hasn't fixed gapless playback yet. The Zune itself will occasionally add sounds similar to vinyl surface noise when the same songs play fine on the Zune computer software. I hear feedback from the hard drive and the screen interferes with my amp sometimes. A Rockbox port is desperately needed, but will not likely happen any time soon.

Any suggestions?
Fix gapless playback, the surface noise-like sounds, make the firmware not bog down so easily, and I'd be all set. A Rockbox port would make it so much better too.

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj-kun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Update 19 Sep 09
Heres a concept I did on MS PAINT as thanks for all your replies
smily_headphones1.gif
ENJOY.
mp3player.png

AJ Lazaro© :p
It's not really clear, but the bottom part has headphone out, usb for i/o(DACmode) and line out jack(obviously redundant, coz of the internal amp but for users who will connect to their home amp). This bottom part can be unscrewed and pulled out, thats where I proposed will be the amp section, with a similar formfactor to the Emmeline shadow amp. Ideally it would beable to be swapped out ala HIFIMAN, no op-amp rolling in this design, I doubt it could be supported at this size. The screen is oled capacitive touchscreen...with oleophobic coating. Playback buttons on the side for blind control.
No external gain switch...because I imagine in one's pocket that could poke, be broken, or change by itself...(*hint**hint* amp designers)
Ideally the dimensions would be around 0.5"x1.45"x3"
After drawing it I realised that I havent address volume control...and the fact that ergonomically, it looks like it's made for a left hander(when you see it...). Oh and the weird line in the middle of the bottom part, is coz I tried to render chrome and failed.

Not bad for a Paint render. Are we going to see a more sophisticated, 3d render in the future?
wink_face.gif

Not bad for an initial design either, and I like that you're being realistic about it as far as the size and design constraints brought on by the large-ish internal amp. In fact, you seem to be thinking it through quite seriously.

I'd like to point out a few possible changes to the design, though, if I might: (Ruh-roh...)

If the device is indeed to be touchscreen based (which does seem to be all the rage right now), the playback buttons would be better located on the top of the device -- ala Cowon S9/Sony X-series -- as opposed to the side. There should also be a hold switch, though where you would place it is up for debate. Maybe on the side? Physical volume controls are a must, preferably on the side as well, within easy thumb reach. I also think there should be a home button below the screen, to make it possible to escape pesky menus in a reassuringly quick and painless fashion.

Also, I agree with a previous poster who said that the exterior should be matte, at the very least on the front (there's nothing more annoying than a glare-filled screen, and that's a particular concern with OLED, since OLED screens tend to get extremely washed-out in direct sunlight). Either a rubberized back, or even a brushed-metal back would be nice, but no polished metal or glossy plastic! Fingerprints are not attractive, no matter what Apple thinks!

And here's an awesome idea for making an indestructible little player: the edges of the device could be ringed with a d3o-based material, similar to this amazing iPhone case. Go to 04:11 mark in the vid embedded there, to see what I'm talking about.

Oh, and forget the oleophobic coating on the screen. It's not really necessary if the screen isn't ultra-glossy like an iPod Touch's. Besides, the screen ought to be as scratch-resistant as possible, and a screen is only as scratch-resistant as its outermost coating... Oleophobic coatings aren't scratch-resistant. In fact, the iPhone 3GS seems to have a problem with the coating getting rubbed off gradually by fingers, just through normal use, forming unsightly splotchy patterns on the screen. That's worse than fingerprints!!!

As far as shape, I'm a real fan of the iPod Touch/Cowon S9's curvy, palm-fitting, pocket-friendly design philosophy, although the back of the device really should be largely flat to allow it to sit stably on a flat surface without wobbling when you use the touchscreen.

Anyway, that pretty much covers it, and I hate to be a bore, so I'll just quit while I'm ahead.
biggrin.gif
Happy designing, hope to see more soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back