portable and closed cans to support my tf10, k701 and srh940?
May 1, 2012 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sofastreamer

Headphoneus Supremus
i already posted this in the portable section, but as there are mostly iem lovers reading, i give it a try in this section:

hi,
i love my remolded tf10, srh940 and akg k701 because of the following:

-very dry and fast bass, that has just the right amount of quantity
- quite analytical presentation
- astonoshing instrument separation with pin point imaging
- lot of air between the instruments
- spacious 3d alike soundstage
- sparkeling but smooth highs
- amount of details

i listen to 50% classical orchstra and 50% ambient/ electronica.

right know i am searching for a pair of small closed portable cans, that would match most of the points above, because when i am outside, i find the tf10 uncomfortable to handle. is there any set i could give a try up to 200$ price point?

May 1, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 16
KRK KNS-8400 is exactly what you need. It's soundstage isn't super huge, but quite good.
It's actually what I prefer for ambient electronic music. I'm a big fan of Boards of Canada and stuff like Helios.
IMO the KRK KNS-8400 has some similarities to my Q701.

I think it's the 2nd most detailed headphone I own right behind the Koss A/250.

Oh yeah.. BTW it has memory foam pads! Cost is $130-#150.

You can also try the K550, but it's large and I dislike it's mids.
Quote:
i already posted this in the portable section, but as there are mostly iem lovers reading, i give it a try in this section:
hi,
i love my remolded tf10, srh940 and akg k701 because of the following:
-very dry and fast bass, that has just the right amount of quantity
- quite analytical presentation
- astonoshing instrument separation with pin point imaging
- lot of air between the instruments
- spacious 3d alike soundstage
- sparkeling but smooth highs
- amount of details
i listen to 50% classical orchstra and 50% ambient/ electronica.
right know i am searching for a pair of small closed portable cans, that would match most of the points above, because when i am outside, i find the tf10 uncomfortable to handle. is there any set i could give a try up to 200$ price point?

May 1, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 16
thank you so far. i read something about sharp treble on the krk. that would be a nogo. i like them smooth.
well the k550 got some bad reviews in german hifi forum.

Jun 2, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 16
ok, it seems, that no cans will match my needs. so what about iems? tf10 comes close, but i already own a custom one. anything else out there? i also own an ex1000, but AB-ing them with my shure srh940s the following issues come to mind:

- bass: too much, too slow and not dry enough
- mids: too thick in the lower mids departement
- highs not shiny enough not enough sparkling.
- lack of details

Jun 2, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 16
Seems that you like the sound from your tfe10, the only reason you are looking for something else is because of comfort issue.
It would be more logical to get an other iem, that sounds similar, without comfort issue.
It would be logical to get something else from ultimate ear, but not necessarily. The ue700 for instance, looks much more comfy.

I  could save you some time with the sennheiser iems (ie7, ie8) , they do not remotely sound to what you are looking for (almost zero sparkle in  the treble).
Personally I'm missing my broken akg k317 ear buds, they sounded quite good for their price (with a 3d soundstage, and quite sparkling & relatively smooth highs). I'm considering the mx 980 as a replacement.

Jun 2, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #6 of 16
They don't match all of your criteria, but the Sennheiser HD25 1 ii
is a really fine set of headphones for portable use.

I've had mine for a couple of years, and often forget about them -
then I'll put them on, and I'm always a bit startled at how good they sound.

Jun 2, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
They don't match all of your criteria, but the Sennheiser HD25 1 ii
is a really fine set of headphones for portable use.

Exactly, they don't match the criteria at all. They have an unrefined treble, and sparkle is "meh". They have a 2D soundstage.   Not to mention, these are the least comfy headphone I  ever know. It is incredible, that even when you know it doesn't match the need, someone have to suggest these hd25. If it's not hype ....

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #8 of 16
i already had the ie8, k317  and mx980. i liked them each of its own. but none of them comes close to the sound signature of the srh940. hd25 plays right in the face, with too much bass. 

i thought of something like w4 or se535. i had them a while ago and as far as i remember both do not have the sub bass impact of the srh940s. i know, that it will be difficult if not impossible to find an iem, that sounds exactly like the big cans, but i believe that there must be something out there, that comes nearby.

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #9 of 16
yeah, this will upset lot of people by saying it, but I think the srh940 are even faster than the hd800. This is what I've perceived by listening both headphones. Not easy to find something as fast.
It's surprising you prefer the sub bass impact of srh940, over the se530, square wave response seem to indicate that the se530 have better bass impact.

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #12 of 16
I  see some growing hype for the yamaha eph-100. At least design is perfect, and price affordable .
So tell me what's wrong with them, before I get them
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #13 of 16
They can be a little bit too bassy at times. Other than that they are excellent IEM for the price (about $120)
Quote:
I  see some growing hype for the yamaha eph-100. At least design is perfect, and price affordable .
So tell me what's wrong with them, before I get them
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #14 of 16
Well I  will  get the yamaha eph-100 from the store I  usually use, and can only find them at 150 euros.
Otherwise there's the mx980 at 130 euros, but I'm tired of getting everything from sennheiser, and don't want a third discontinued product in my colection.

Jun 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #15 of 16
If you live in Europe, get them here http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Yamaha-EPH100-Earphones/product_5924 if you wanna save some money. 

That's where I bought mine and delivery to Sweden was really fast and cheap. 
Quote:
Well I  will  get the yamaha eph-100 from the store I  usually use, and can only find them at 150 euros.
Otherwise there's the mx980 at 130 euros, but I'm tired of getting everything from sennheiser, and don't want a third discontinued product in my colection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back