Portable amp with an open soundstage
Oct 9, 2010 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SoulSyde

Headphoneus Supremus
I've owned the following amps: LD MKI+, FiiO E5, iBasso T4 and the iBasso P3+.

I'm trying to choose a replacement for my P3+ which will be in the For Sale Forum shortly.

I really want an amp with easily selectable gain and I'm thinking about the following amps as a replacement: RSA Hornet, RSA P-51 Mustang, Headstage Arrow 12HE 2G or PD XM5 (or possibly the XM6 depending on price and release date).

Which of the 3 amps just mentioned would offer the widest soundstage?  I'm not necessarily looking for detail and separation but and airy coloring to my music.

Thanks

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
I'd shamelessly slip the HeadRoom Portable Micro Amp in your little selection.

I looked into that one, but I've heard mixed reviews on the SQ without using an AC power source.  HeadRoom even encourages you to use power supply to maximize the SQ.  Plus I think "portable" is used loosely in this case.  It's actually bigger than the RSA SR-71.

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
HeadRoom even encourages you to use power supply to maximize the SQ.

Nope they didn't.
"The Portable Micro Amp is meant for mobile listening use so the provided 'power supply'  accessory is purely a battery recharging unit, and NOT a true AC-power supply!"
Hey... LISA III is portable, also those old Discmen with huge external batt packs, so.

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Nope they didn't.
"The Portable Micro Amp is meant for mobile listening use so the provided 'power supply'  accessory is purely a battery recharging unit, and NOT a true AC-power supply!"
Hey... LISA III is portable, also those old Discmen with huge external batt packs, so.

I stand corrected.  I just read that as well from their "What We Think" section.  Funny how a reviewer on their own site is giving false information about their own product.

Back to my OP... I probably won't go with this one because I want a "barely pocketable" setup but you would otherwise state that is amp meets my sound criteria?

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 9
Is there any resaon why you had left out the P-51, which I believe has what you are looking for?

Oct 10, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSyde /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For some reason I overlooked this one.  Just added it to the OP.  Thanks.

Care to share your thoughts on this device?

It is my experience that the P-51, which I have since Feb 2009, does not add to or take away from the headstage that is present in the recording.  If the headstage is wide, with the headphones that I am using with it, i.e. the IE8 and SR 225, it will be presented wide, and of course narrow, if the headstage is recorded narrow.  In any case, I believe headphones have a greater impact on the headstage than amplifiers.

With the IE8 and the SR 225, i.e low impedance and sensitive headphones, with which it will not run out of juice (current), the P-51 can drive them pretty well.  Imaging is very good, bass is full and controlled (more so with the IE8 than the SR 225), while vocals are realistic.  I had emphasized and sensitive because it will not cut it even if the headphones is low impedance but low sensitivity like the LCD-2.

Treble presentation is dependent on the headphones: more energy, bright and even a little bit harsh with the SR 225 while with the IE8, the treble is no longer bright and without the bit of harshness that the SR 225 has.  Like the headstage, the P-51 does not add to or subtract from the treble that is in the recording.

There is no congestion with busy passages.  It can pass on details and certainly has pace, rhythm and timing.

Oct 10, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:

It is my experience that the P-51, which I have since Feb 2009, does not add to or take away from the headstage that is present in the recording.  If the headstage is wide, with the headphones that I am using with it, i.e. the IE8 and SR 225, it will be presented wide, and of course narrow, if the headstage is recorded narrow.  In any case, I believe headphones have a greater impact on the headstage than amplifiers.

With the IE8 and the SR 225, i.e low impedance and sensitive headphones, with which it will not run out of juice (current), the P-51 can drive them pretty well.  Imaging is very good, bass is full and controlled (more so with the IE8 than the SR 225), while vocals are realistic.  I had emphasized and sensitive because it will not cut it even if the headphones is low impedance but low sensitivity like the LCD-2.

Treble presentation is dependent on the headphones: more energy, bright and even a little bit harsh with the SR 225 while with the IE8, the treble is no longer bright and without the bit of harshness that the SR 225 has.  Like the headstage, the P-51 does not add to or subtract from the treble that is in the recording.

There is no congestion with busy passages.  It can pass on details and certainly has pace, rhythm and timing.

Thanks wht!

An article I found last night about the Hornet paints a much different picture than your review of the P-51. It was a flattering review, but wasn't what I was hoping for.  See here: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/emmelinehornet/hornet.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back