Portable amp vs 'Desktop amp'
May 16, 2010 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Balmoral

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I have a question that I've looked for the answer to and have not been able to find.  What are the benefits of buying a desktop amp over a portable one.  Is the sound that much improved?  I currently have a Mini3 that I'm using with my ipod and running via Lod I think it's called.?  I'm very new to this, but have really taken a liking to listening to music through headphones...It's nice not having to turn the volume down to keep from bothering people.

Anyways, any knowledge or direction any of you could give me would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for taking the time to read.

My stuff: ipod, Mini3, Grado325is.

Balmoral

May 16, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 3
IMO, the larger differences between portables and desktop amps largely depend on the headphones used
For example, using a portable headphones like many IEMS or an Audio Technica ESW7, it will be a bit more difficult to notice a huge difference, as these headphones were designed for use without an amp. With full size cans such as Denon D5000 or Sennheiser HD600, I found the difference to be more distinct

May 17, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 3
Thank you for replying.  I was only curious because of the way my headpones are performing with low end content.  They seem to do very well with mid and mid lows but fall off quickly with the lower notes.  I was wondering if a larger hp amp would help to rectify this.  I was thinking about a Dynalo or M^3.  I'm also open to any suggestions people might have with the 325's in a comperable price range ( no more than $650, anyway.).

Thanks again for helping a noOb such as myself.
redface.gif

Balmoral

My stuff: ipod, Mini3, Grado 325is

Users who are viewing this thread

Back