Portable Amp suggestions for Abyss ab-1266 phi tc
Jan 25, 2020 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Free3

New Head-Fier
Hello all.
Recently I've been thinking about picking up a new pair of cans. Ive been leaning towards the Meze Empyrean or the Abyss ab-1266 phi tc. The problem is I only have an Oppo HA-2 Amp to drive them with, i was thinking of picking up the Woo audio WA11 to drive the Abyss headset. Would that Amp be sufficient enough for either of these headphones? And if not, could you give me a suggestion for an Amp to pair with them? I would need it to be a portable Amp though as I don't have enough money for a portable Amp as well as a desktop amp, and I'd want to take these places to use them.

Jan 25, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 20
I dont think there is a truly portable amp for the Abyss TC. I think the closest you will get is a wired small transportable amp like the smsl sp200 which is enjoyable listening with a Kann Cube on xlr output.

Jan 25, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 20
Given the constraints on amplification I'd suggest the Empyrean over the Abyss. Plenty of portable options will drive the Empyrean, whether it be DAPs, portable DAC/Amps or just amps assuming you have a portable source in mind.

Jan 25, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 20
Hello all.
Recently I've been thinking about picking up a new pair of cans. Ive been leaning towards the Meze Empyrean or the Abyss ab-1266 phi tc. The problem is I only have an Oppo HA-2 Amp to drive them with, i was thinking of picking up the Woo audio WA11 to drive the Abyss headset. Would that Amp be sufficient enough for either of these headphones? And if not, could you give me a suggestion for an Amp to pair with them? I would need it to be a portable Amp though as I don't have enough money for a portable Amp as well as a desktop amp, and I'd want to take these places to use them.

Ifi Micro black label

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 20
Yep the ifi Bl pushed my Abyss well. Also Romi 5 watt balance class A amp. Mass Kobo did well.

Jan 26, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 20
Woo Audio Wa11 Topaz ?

Jan 26, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 20
I don't suggest using the 1266 as a mobile, or even transportable can, since they aren't terribly stable while moving your head. They're really intended for stationary listening. If you want the Abyss sound on the go though I'd suggest looking at the Diana Phi. They can give you 90%+ of the 1266's sound in a package that can be driven well of off the Kann Cube or a similarly powerful amp.

Jan 26, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #8 of 20
I don't suggest using the 1266 as a mobile, or even transportable can, since they aren't terribly stable while moving your head. They're really intended for stationary listening. If you want the Abyss sound on the go though I'd suggest looking at the Diana Phi. They can give you 90%+ of the 1266's sound in a package that can be driven well of off the Kann Cube or a similarly powerful amp.
Think he means from one room to another room.

Jan 26, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #11 of 20
Hmm, so you think the ifi black label would do a better job driving the headphones than the WA11 Topaz? I'll look into it right now.
Ifi has 4 watts

Jan 27, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #12 of 20
I agree. The 1266 is an exceptionally good headphone but I really can't imagine anybody walking around with that monster device on his/her head.....

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #13 of 20
I up this topic.
What about
Portaphile Nok,
Masskobo model428,
ROMI-AUDIO Balanced Headphone AMP Less BX-2,
Bakoon HPA-01M,
HDA-5230 ,
Analog Square Paper TUR-08,
I see what best amplifier for AB-1266 is a Headtrip from Well Audio, can get 100w on 8 Ohm (specially HEADTRIP II LEVEL II MONOBLOCK version for 30000usd), and "Tantal" amplifier custom made weight around 220 lbs, but possible portable or mobile amp for Abyss?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back