Portable Amp Required
Aug 15, 2010 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Paste

Head-Fier
Hello, I would like to request suggestions for a recent purchase of mine, the Audio Technica M50. Are there any amplifiers that will improve the volume and quality of the midrange on these headphones? If any more informtion is required, please excuse me and ask for it. I am very satisfied in general with these phones, it's just that sometimes the midrange is quieter than expected.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 2
Most good headphone amplifiers will not adjust the sound too much.  Their goal usually is mainly to cleanly amplify the signal to headphones that require some additional power to drive their drivers at their full potential.  Sometimes that might mean bringing out a bit more bass, or mid, or treble -- or some of each.

The lower midrange response you are hearing is very likely the sound signature of those particular headphones.  Several AT headphones and IEMs I've heard were a bit shy in the midrange area, and an amp is not going to change that much.  You would have to EQ the sound from your source, if possible, to give it a bit more midrange (or less bass and treble) before sending the signal thru the amp to the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back