Portable Amp Recommendations
Sep 4, 2004 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Fishing

Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm new to amps and high quality headphones so I'm looking for some advice. I'm looking to get a portable amp for my iPod. Right now I'm using Senn hd570's but I'm thinking of changing to 580's. Anyway, with so many amps out there, I'm not sure which one I should be getting.

I guess my first question would be does anyone have a recommendation for a portable amp? I was looking at the Airhead and Total Airhead from Headphone but I hear they are overpriced from some people. I like those guys cause they have crossfeed. Lots of the Cmoy amps I see online(ebay) don't have crossfeed. I've also come across the Headsave site and his amps are very reasonably priced, but I don't think they come with crossfeed either. The Porta Corda seems quite pricey and I doubt I'd be into that unless someone really thinks it makes a really big diff.

Sep 4, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 23
Depending on individuals, crossfeed is completely useless. I, for one, never used crossfeed. I know lots of fellow headfiers never really use crossfeed function.

Also as far as Airhead or Total Airhead is concern, it is not too bad for the money if you can find one for used. If you are really tight with budget, there are few products with good performance per $ ratio, say Cmoy or Go-vibe. However, I find latest Airhead/Total Airhead models to be one of the best portable choices for under $200.

Sep 4, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 23
Biggest bang for the buck (IMHO) would be Xin's SuperDual if you can find one used. Great sound packed in a little package.

Sep 4, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 23
Ok,

I just started taking a look at the Xin amps. I don't know anything about the SuperDual. I've only seen the Xin SuperMini and the Xin SuperMicro. How do those compare to the SuperDual?

I guess right now it's between the Xin amps and Headsave. The Headroom ones are a little pricey, unless I can get them used. Xin are quite a bit more than the Headsave ones, but they're tiny and I like that.

Sep 4, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 23
The HD580 isn't a portable phone . . .

Anyway, I think a pimeta or one of Xin's many incarnations (supermini/micro, superdual, etc) You can only find the superdual used BTW. But I recommend you consider getting a different headphone for portable use. Grado MS1 and HD25-1 appear to be quite popular (I've only heard the MS1).

Sep 4, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 23
Hi,

Yeah, I realize that the HD580 and 570's are open and aren't really meant for portable use. I usually use my MX500's when going around and carry my cans with me to work or something. I am looking for some closed cans and I'm assuming the ones you just mentioned are closed so I'll take a look at those. I was thinking of getting something like the HD280s or the Sony MDR-V6 cause I hear those are good.

Anyway, if I can only get the SuperDual used, does that mean it's an old amp or something that isn't being sold anywhere? Did the SuperMini and SuperMicro replace it?

Thanks...

Sep 4, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 23
super dual
It looks like he is going out of business as of October!

I for one have a Total Airhead and love it. When not on an airplane it drives my senn 650s at my bedside. No problems. And the batteries last forever. We all tend to forget then Headroom is a solid company. Yes, we are intrested in one man operations, rarer lesser known amps. But Headroom will be there next year, and beyond. Someday I'll get a Max or Blockhead.

Sep 4, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 23
I'd suggest deciding on a headphone first before buying an amp. Neither the V6 nor hd280 absolutely needs an amp and I wouldn't bother amping them for portable use. But both are larger than what I'd call portable.

I don't really understand what happened to xintechs, but xintechs was the marketing company that Dr. Xin setup to sell the superdual. that company is gone, but he's supposed to be coming out with a new amp called the supermono in a month or so. supermini and supermicro are older designs. I'd skip those and wait for the new stuff unless you really have to have something that tiny. The supermono should be worth waiting for based on what he's said about the design.

Sep 4, 2004 at 11:58 PM Post #9 of 23
I'm no audiophile but in my opinion the bass on the iPod is garbage. So I figured that I'd need an amp to bring that out.

I'd prefer to get cans rather than buds for pure portable use (I always have a knapsack or something to put them in later) so I was thinking of the HD280s and V6. I don't mind going a step up though or getting something else. Kiroasia mentioned the HD25-1 and I'm looking into those.

The 570s I'd use at home but in my room with my iPod when I'm reading and about to go to sleep or something. So I'd like to have an amp for them with the iPod. The SuperMono looks like a good idea and I might just wait for that. In the meantime I could get something cheaper or make one myself and see how it goes.

Sep 5, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 23
I'm not sure of the HD25-1 is a closed phone or not, but people use them as a portable and seem to love them. A little pricey though. (150-200 I think)

As for an amp, I say find a used supermini (most later models can be found for around $70 and have a crossfeed switch) I had one, I'm not a fan of crossfeed, but the amp itself is pretty good. It's a very good value, and very small as well. Batteries last a long time.

Sep 5, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dolifant
super dual
It looks like he is going out of business as of October!

Whoa whats that all about?? What about the Supermono? A lot of people are going to be dissapointed.

In regards to a portable amp there are a nice variety of cmoys on ebay, just look up "cmoy". You'll find cool ones in custom mini hammonds by drewd and papucho which usually end up going for less than a C note.

Sep 5, 2004 at 1:30 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishing
Ok,

I just started taking a look at the Xin amps. I don't know anything about the SuperDual. I've only seen the Xin SuperMini and the Xin SuperMicro. How do those compare to the SuperDual?

I guess right now it's between the Xin amps and Headsave. The Headroom ones are a little pricey, unless I can get them used. Xin are quite a bit more than the Headsave ones, but they're tiny and I like that.

As dolifant mentioned the SuperDual will no longer be produced as it is being replaced by the SuperMono. I have seen several SuperDuals for sale here on Head-Fi over the last month. If you keep your eye out for one, you should be able to get one used. Xin will still support the amp, which he stated to me in an email. Pound for pound the SuperDual is the best sub-$200.00 IMHO.

Side note - if you are using a iPod as your source, you want to make sure that you use the line out function. Pick up either a Sik cable or a PocketDock to accomplish this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back