Portable Amp Recommendations
Sep 7, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by newguy
I have 2 portable amps: the TAH and the Emmeline SR-71. The SR-71 is more money and clearly better. Worth every penny in my opinion. It sounds just wonderful.

I have the same portable amps; gotta say that my Gilmore Lite's better sounding than either of the above, IMO, with everything from my ety 4s to the HD 595s to the HD 650 and over to the Grado RS 1 and the Shure E5s...

AFAIK, the Gilmore needs one thing- a battery pack- to be * perfect *, and truly portable...
biggrin.gif
for that, the SR-71's the best battery-powered amp around!

Sep 7, 2004 at 1:37 AM Post #17 of 23
Fishing,

I don't know which version of the iPod you have, but as noted by Jester, you may want to use the line out function which you can access by using the Dock, Sik cable or PocketDock in order to feed your amp.

However, if you are using the latest 4th generation iPod, there appears to be a problem with using the PocketDock as a line-out source. For the details, see the discussion in the Portable Audio forum (http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/forum...?s=&forumid=22) or iPod Lounge (http://www.ipodlounge.com/articles_m...d=4776_0_8_0_M).

Keep us informed of your choice. I'm in the market for an amp as well for my ER-4Ps.

Illiad

Sep 7, 2004 at 1:38 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dolifant
super dual
It looks like he is going out of business as of October!

the company, Xin Technologies, Inc., is going out of business... but that is completely separate from Xin's own DIY amp making business he does so there is nothing to worry about. I believe he isn't really a part of Xin Technologies, Inc. anymore either?

Sep 8, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishing
I'm pretty noob, so you guys will have to excuse me for this question... But what exactly is the line out function on the iPod? What's so good about it?

Lineout is a fixed volume stereo output. It is generally cleaner than headphone output and often free from distortion that the headphone output suffers. Two limitations of lineout are 1) fixed volume output and 2) lack of power to drive devices.

Now, if you were to amplify headphone output, you will also amplify noises/hiss/hums from cheap opamps/potentiometer (volume controls) on headphone output circuit where as lineout will be cleaner, distortion free (in general). In short, better sound can be achieved through the lineout than headphone out.

Sep 8, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I'm not sure of the HD25-1 is a closed phone or not, but people use them as a portable and seem to love them. A little pricey though. (150-200 I think)

These are closed cans. Heard NeilPeart's at the Oakland meet and was very impressed. They are pricey but worth it. I believe that there was a cable mod discussion at the meet.

Also heard the SuperMono's at the meet. First amp of Xin's I've heard and it was quite impressive from such a small package.

Sep 8, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10
Also heard the SuperMono's at the meet. First amp of Xin's I've heard and it was quite impressive from such a small package.

Could you elaborate a little bit more on the SuperMono? Actually, we have a thread where we've been discussing it
here .

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I'm not sure of the HD25-1 is a closed phone or not, but people use them as a portable and seem to love them. A little pricey though. (150-200 I think)

I had not heard of the HD25-1s before. Are they really practical for portable use? I now use the PX100s. I can't see myself going to the gym with headphones as large as the HD25-1s or do I think they are larger than they are?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back