Portable Amp for work computer - SRH 840
Jun 25, 2012 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

v3norick

New Head-Fier
Hello all.

I'm new here and I just picked up some Shure 840s and I love them. However I'm listening to them mostly at work and as we all know the sound cards or lack of rather since its all on board provided in work computer are well below sub par.

So I was looking at getting a portable amp for my work computer and whenever I'm on the go (exercising or just running around.) From what I read, I could be wrong, but will a DAC/Amp combo be the answer I'm looking for? Portable DAC/Amps can be used as basically a portable sound card correct? I just know that my on board sound at work isnt that great so i was looking for some options since i cant just add a sound card.

I was looking at maybe the Fiio E7 since its an amp and DAC and also portable. Maybe someone else here might have a better suggestion?

Price range is about $70-$80.

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 5
I have no experience with 840s. IMO, DAC/amp combo is the way to go. Work computer usually come with on board sound card, they sounds terrible. So a nice usb DAC would fix that and the amp section can drive your 840s to provide the sound 100x better than plug your 840s into computer directly.

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 5
E7 fits well for your budget.

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 5
go for the E7. they sound well with your srh840.

if you want a separate usb soundcard + portable amp, try the link below for the soundcard (although no one really recommends it here, but i do) and a cmoy. both pair really well IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/ENCORE-ENMAB-8CM-7-1-Channel-Audio/dp/B004VCM4J8/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1340672826&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=encore+usb+audio+bpox

Jun 25, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks all for your quick replies. And Dyaems I've never even heard of a USB audio box before so thanks for that too.

I'll probably end up going with the E7....its so versatile since its a DAC, AMP, and portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back