Portable amp for UE 18 Pros?
Aug 19, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #2 of 8
I personally don't think the UE 18 Pros need an amp, but something like the Fiio E7 or the Icon uDac would be within your budget, and you can use them as desktop DACs and headphone amps too. What source will you be using?

Aug 19, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 8
if you can spend around 1400$ for the UE 18 pro, why you only want to spend around 100$ for its portable amp.
i think you should forget to use a portable amp around 100$ for the UE 18 pro because it is a waste of money. They can't improve the sound of your UE 18 pro

you should save up and buy those in the range 300$-500$: pico, protector, sr-71b, ttvj,...

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 8

[size=medium]
I'm sure there will be a difference if one is driving the UE 18 Pros with an expensive amp, but I can't really say if it would always make them sound better. The UE 18 Pros were designed for performing musicians, I'd very much doubt that they'd be carrying a big expensive amp around to drive them, they'd most probably be using portable amps with their wireless systems. I personally think they sound fine coming straight out of my Cowon iAudio 9.
[/size]

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 8
indeed my JH 16 pro sounds very nice with my Cowon J3. However, it is not a perfect sound. So if I want some SMALL improvements, then i will go for a portable amp(on the way to home now , the RSA protector). I won't argue that the portable amps can improve the sound of the earphone.

Aug 21, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 8
It's only common sense that the more expensive the amp, the better the sound will be. I'm new to buying amps, and I was actually looking at the Fiio E5. I'm looking for something that's really portable. My current sources right now are my iPod Nano 4G and my laptop. I'm looking for a PCI sound card as well, but I digress.

Aug 21, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 8

I'm not sure if 'the more expensive the amp, the better the sound' is true, it's not even true for a lot of headphones. It maybe true for speakers that are very difficult to drive and needed a lot of power, but IEMs in general don't need that. The thing about the UE 18 Pros is that they are made to produce a high sound level without distortion, so they are already quite loud listening straight off the iPod Nano 4G. The E5 is very good for its price, however, since you wanted a sound card for your PC too, maybe you can just get the Fiio E7 so that you can use it as a desktop DAC + headphone amp too, and it's well within your budget.

Quote:
It's only common sense that the more expensive the amp, the better the sound will be. I'm new to buying amps, and I was actually looking at the Fiio E5. I'm looking for something that's really portable. My current sources right now are my iPod Nano 4G and my laptop. I'm looking for a PCI sound card as well, but I digress.

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:

I'm not sure if 'the more expensive the amp, the better the sound' is true, it's not even true for a lot of headphones. It maybe true for speakers that are very difficult to drive and needed a lot of power, but IEMs in general don't need that. The thing about the UE 18 Pros is that they are made to produce a high sound level without distortion, so they are already quite loud listening straight off the iPod Nano 4G. The E5 is very good for its price, however, since you wanted a sound card for your PC too, maybe you can just get the Fiio E7 so that you can use it as a desktop DAC + headphone amp too, and it's well within your budget.

In hindsight, my "more expensive the amp, better sound" doesn't really make much sense haha. Thanks for the info about the UE 18s. I think that I will get both the Fiio E7 (home use) and the E5 (on the go). Thanks for the input, everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back