Portable amp for iPhone 4s
Jan 11, 2012 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Len Brennan

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I've recently bought some Phonak Audeo PFE112's to use with my iPhone and I'm very impressed by the quality and clarity of the sound (still trying to decide which filters I like best). However there's a tiny fly in the ointment. I've run all my music through mp3gain to sort out the clipping, originally at 89db but I've upped it to 92db to try and get a bit more volume out of the Phonaks. I like my music fairly loud at times and even at normal levels the volume on the iPhone is pretty much as high as it will go.
So the upshot is I am looking for a portable amp which will work with my phone (gsm interference?) and doesn't cost more than £50.
I was drawn to the Fiio E5 but then I've read on here that it doesn't boost volume that much.

Your opinions would be much appreciated.

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 8
Jan 13, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 8
I use the electric-avenues.com PA2V2 amp with my iPhone4. I actually have two of them, one for home and one for my office. I believe that Gary ships these to many countries. The rechargeable batteries are not included, so be sure to budget a few £ for a pair of AAs. 

http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplifiers.html
 ​
The best improvement for sound quality that I've found on the iPhone is to use a line out dock connector instead of the headphone jack...much cleaner sound when using an integrated amp. I use a sendstation mini USB so I have line out and charging at the same time but any dock connector with line out capabilities will work. I believe LOD is the term used for Line out dock cables???
 ​

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 8
I've got a E11 with my iphone 4, it has good transparency, clean sound, bass boost doesn't color the rest of the spectrum, and is in the lower end.  I'm using it with a silver LOD.  I also have the cmoy 2.03 coming to me with lod and some of the black gate caps, so I'm curious to test that out.

Quote:
Anyone used a Fiio e11 with an iPhone 4?

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the input fellas, I'll probably go for the E11 but I do like the look of that Neco Soundlab one Thing Fish recommended. Decisions, decisions
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back