Portable amp for high end ultrasones?
Mar 28, 2009 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

KONAKONA

Banned
Was wondering what kind of amp it would take to drive a higher end set of ultrasones, namely either HFI-780s, PRO 750s and PRO 900s. Would a ibasso T4 be able to drive them well?

Price is the variable here, cheaper is better but SQ is important as well.

Mar 28, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #4 of 20
lisa III will do wonders, but not cheap... there is one used in tghe FS section an older one for $600 wuth LLP (PSU)

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 20
There is an used RSA Hornet (Non M) on the for sale forum for $240, or you could pick up a MiniBox-E+ new for about $225. Although all three headphones you mention are quite large to be used as portables. If you plan on using them as transportables (office or patio) then I understand. For portable use IEM's, or buds are a better solution IMO.

Mar 28, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 20
I have a thing for large headphones, I use my Q40s as portables and I don't imagine the ultrasones being much bigger than what I got now. I use smaller headphones for different occasions and situations, however.
smily_headphones1.gif

So the corda XXS, the mini^3 and the minibox E+, are there any significant pitfalls or notable things with these amps? (The others are just a bit pricey...
frown.gif
)

Mar 28, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 20
The P-51 works great with all my Cans.

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #9 of 20
Looks like it's been changed to low end ultrasones. PRO 550, 650 and the HFI-780.

Still no notes on the amps I mentioned earlier? The P-51 was a bit expensive to begin with, but now the price range has moved to where the amp is more expensive than the headphones are. I'm afraid that just won't do, unless I find a nice surplus of cash. (On top of the one I need already)

EDIT: Oh, and the amp will also be used to power some yuins, either G1As or PK1s. I'm pretty sure both are not that amp dependent, they just need some extra powers.

Apr 4, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 20
What about a Corda 3Move? I dont really think they need any amplifaction, they sound very good if you use the software gain. :p

Im sure it'll improve on everything.

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #12 of 20
I had the Pro 900's and although it's is not generaly my first "Go To" portable amp chioce, I found that the Headroom Total Airhead/Total Bithead, can really smooth out the edges of what I like to call, the " Breaking Glass Highs" often found in the pro 900's
Now not the smallest or prettiest but good build quality and Headroom C/S is excelent.

Apr 6, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a thing for large headphones, I use my Q40s as portables and I don't imagine the ultrasones being much bigger than what I got now. I use smaller headphones for different occasions and situations, however.
smily_headphones1.gif

So the corda XXS, the mini^3 and the minibox E+, are there any significant pitfalls or notable things with these amps? (The others are just a bit pricey...
frown.gif
)

well the minibox E+ sounds like its a great little amp, but some of them have has manufacture defect/problems of late; the situation is supposedly now fixed, but I would wait for confirmation of that before moving on one of them. if they have fixed it though; I would def recommend that for fullsize HP's as it has a much larger supply voltage 18v so not only does it provide more current than the other 2, it also allows for the use of a much larger variety of op-amps to be used. this means that you can customize the sound of the amp to your liking. the mini^3 is great too, I think the best value in it price range. the AD8397 i'm really enjoying in my D10 with AD8656 as buffers, but in the mini^3 I did find the treble to be a touch peaky at times so a little fatiguing.

since I posted in here last though; I have received my iBASSO D10 and I can say without doubt that IMO it represents the best value in portable amps or dacs and it does both admirably. IMO it beats the predator and pico and thats saying something. its also very flexible, as it allows USB, COAX and optical digital inputs as well as analogue on minijack. it also allows op-amp rolling, but doesnt have as much swing (power) so doesnt have enough voltage to run some of the more amazing opamps well if at all. but there is still a nice selection that do work and the DAC section more than makes up for that. priced at $270USD a little over half of its competitors.

Apr 6, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #15 of 20
I sent my miniBox-E+ for a warranty claim. Basically the unit failed to power on a couple of times but then it started working again magically :) I didn't want to risk it and got the unit replaced while it was still in warranty. There was an issue with the power circuitry I believe and this has been resolved with the new batch of units. My MB-E+ is burning in last few days and so far has been working flawlessly. The miniBox-E+ is a VERY nice sounding unit and IMO represents excellent value for money. I really like it with the AD797 opamps. The AD797 has a slighly warm sound and pairs very nicely with my HFI-780.

However if sound quality is #1 and you can deal with a larger sized unit and can spend > $500 just get the Lisa and dont look back
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back