Portable AMP for Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250
May 12, 2012 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Rerona

Head-Fier
Well I just ordered a Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250, and am wondering what AMP and/or AMP+DAC would be good to pair with it.  I have tried researching it and so far have mainly heard either a cheap tube amp off of ebay + DAC Destroyer and the other option is the Fiio E17 but the problem is they are mostly sold out anywhere that is cheap shipping to Hawaii and won't be available til June apparently.  I will mainly be using this with 1) computer, 2) ps3, and 3) ipod.

If Fiio E17 is truly the best solution in the end, does anyone have a recommendation on a temporary AMP to use until the E17 is available that would go well using the two together later?  

Another option I considered is to get a decent sound card (for gaming too) to power it and wait til the E17 comes in such as the Xonar DGX.

If anyone else have any other options, my budget is around 200 (a lil more if it's worth it but preferably I want quality for the cheapest possible that can run the DT990 250).  Also the Fiio E17 is goign to cost 139 if I wait for it, so if it's that + something else preferably try to still keep it in the 200 range.

Also though I do normally like modding/tinkering, as this is my first jump into the true audio world (as before I thought it was all about razer) I'd prefer not getting an item that requires to much if any tinkering electronically.  This is another reason why I was deterred from the tube amps as I read changing the voltages were recommended.

Thanks for any advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back