portable amp failure rate?
Jan 30, 2010 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

lazybum

100+ Head-Fier
Hi just asking... from your experience, whats the probability of your portable amp breaking down on you? Like their average lifespan?

Im contemplating buying portable amps second hand but whats worrying me is them breaking down after a short period of use

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 16
I find this question too vague and not specific enough. I guess it’s possible that some brands may last longer than others, but who would really know. Personally I would think the higher end portables would last longer, but I have read of people that have cheap amps running fine well over numerous years.

If you take care of your electronics, they last for years; I still have a marantz that’s over 40 years old and still works. I think that abusing, dropping and introducing portable equipment to adverse environments would certainly shorten their life span. That said, my pico is coming on 2 years now and it’s ticking like a clock
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 16
Thanks for your reply

Ok maybe ill rephrase my question a bit then...
How long did your portable amp last you or how long has your portable amp lasted you?

To be more specific, im looking at brands like ibasso, meier audio corda and govibe

Jan 30, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 16
RSA SR-71A 2 years young and still producing superlative sound.

You generally get what you pay for IMHO.

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 16
Never a problem with any portable amp that's comemy way over the last 7-8 years. Brands include RSA, Xin, HeadRoom, RudiStor and iBasso

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #9 of 16
Never had a problem. I have some HeadRoom amps that are nearly (over?) ten years old that still work fine (although I don't use them regularly).

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #12 of 16
I had a Simpl A1 iPod amp that stopped working/charging after 5 years; sent it in out of warranty for an estimate a couple of years ago and they sent me a new one free. It's a great-sounding amp with great support. It's been 7/8 years since I bought it and it still works great with my HD600s! Dirt cheap too:

Simpl A1, reduced $50 + coupon code "LOUNGE" for another 15% off with $5 shipping 4.75/5 stars on Amazon

Feb 3, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #14 of 16
i've had several portable amps.
the only that "kinda" broke down was fiio e5.. the volume pot does not work (luckily the volume was set at max).
it was the only amp that i paid under $100, and the only one that has failed.

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #15 of 16
Buying an amp second hand from a fellow headfier should be just fine. Don't worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back