Portable Amp DT880's
Jan 27, 2011 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

FLCL

New Head-Fier
After a purchase of a pair of DT880 Pro's, I have begun looking for a fairly good portable amp to drive them. After searching around for a while and reading other topics with the same question I have narrowed it down to 3
- mini^3
-Minibox E+
-Meiers headsix

I think im leaning more towards a mini^3 currently but only slightly more than a headsix. I read the headsix has great synergy with DT880's, though also read great things about the mini^3 as much as it being the best in the >$200 range. What are your opinions on these amps and if you can give any input on how well they pair with DT880's?

Price range $200 and under, maybe $250..but this is my 1st amp so I don't think I should invest too much into it but would like a good portable amp :)

thanks!

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 16
I read some suggestions for that one among threads as well, but along with those I've read it wouldn't be enough to properly drive them. How do you think is compares to the other 3?

Jan 31, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 16
What impedance (ohm) is your DT880 ?

I bought DT990 600ohm and thinking of getting either

1. iBasso PB2 or
2. Emmeline SR-71B

I rather invest little extra to get a quality amp that I will enjoy.. waiting for my check :)

Feb 16, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 16
Mine are the 250ohm, as far as I know. DT880 Pro's. I wish I had gotten the 600ohm impedence. Can I ask why you chose those 2? I havn't read anything on the Emmeline amp at all. How are those 2 with probability?

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #6 of 16
Both my Pico and Corda XXS can drive DT880 nicely.

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
Mine are the 250ohm, as far as I know. DT880 Pro's. I wish I had gotten the 600ohm impedence. Can I ask why you chose those 2? I havn't read anything on the Emmeline amp at all. How are those 2 with probability?

Purely based on the reviews and discussions I decided to get 600ohm headphone and thinking of getting Emmeline SR-71B or iBasso PB2.

But both of them do not accept credit card I think, so I am not sure I will ever order them.
Maybe just settle down with tube amps.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
I've got an iPod shuffle 5G that gets way too loud with the DT880 600Ω. They are pretty easy to dive unless all you want is ,massive volume.

I am listening ALACs using iPhone 4 with my 100 hour used Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm and it's pretty loud.

The volume is at max but it's loud enough for me.

I am not sure why people need an amp ? for bigger bass, sharpness, and louder volume ?

Feb 18, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 16
The amp isn't so much for the volume but brining out the qualities of the headphones, such as with the DT880's they really need to be driven to open up the sound stage on them. I'm pretty new this myself, someone else can give you a much more informative answer than I could

Feb 18, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #11 of 16
I thinking of going with the Hornet or super macro at this point, my deciding factor would be how well these amps handle power metal, such as Nightwish, Rhapsody of Fire, Luca Turilli, Hammerfall, etc. Does anyone have any input on this? I have found threads talking about rock and jazz but it's hard to find power metal, probably because the word "power" is often used for other things lol. Any power metal listeners out there who would like to help me out?

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #12 of 16
Any amp will handle those genres fine. The headphone is easy to drive - all you need is volume and any of those will get loud enough. If you want precise, iBasso P3 is great, so too, is the ALO Rx, or a homemade VMOY. Amps aren't magical, especially with easy to drive phones like the DT880.

Re: soundstage you should explain what you mean by that. A lot of time, SS is measured as stereo separation, in which case, your player might be better than an amp. Otherwise, it could just be up to volume. If you want the best dynamic expressuion of your music, you need bass and treble, which are hard for the ear to pick up. To hear properly, you need volume. Turn up the volume. If the player isn't loud enough, you may want an amp, but you definitely need one. Amps are cool, but the things they are meant to 'fix' are often the issues they don't address,

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:

Own the DT880 too.
I've used the Mini cubed with satisfaction. I would suggest you to contact a pro builder.
Take a look at this product from the HeadGear section. It drives 8-ohm loads and has a USB DAC option.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back