portable amp as pc amp
Jan 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Andries

New Head-Fier
Hello,

After spending a month on head-fi i finally ordered a IEM (GR07 BE). It is currently used with 2 players:

-The first one is my macbook pro: The signal to hum ratio on this is lower then the chance of winning the lotery, so i want to buy a amp + dac.
-I also use them with my ipod touch (5th gen), it would be nice if i would have a amp for this setup as well.

So i wanted to buy a fiio e10 + some random fiio amp until i read here that the E17 beats every amp fiio currently has out there. I just wonder if it isn't bad for the long-term battery-life of the amp if it will be charged every day. And if it is, what combo to buy in that case?

side note: I was hoping to connect the macbook through the digital-out and the ipod through (or am hoping to connect) the lighting-30 PIN adapter > LOD

thanks in advance!

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
After spending a month on head-fi i finally ordered a IEM (GR07 BE). It is currently used with 2 players:
-The first one is my Macbook pro: The signal to hum ratio on this is lower then the chance of winning the lotery, so i want to buy a amp + dac.
-I also use them with my iPod touch (5th gen), it would be nice if i would have a amp for this setup as well.
So i wanted to buy a fiio e10 + some random fiio amp until i read here that the E17 beats every amp fiio currently has out there. I just wonder if it isn't bad for the long-term battery-life of the amp if it will be charged every day. And if it is, what combo to buy in that case?
side note: I was hoping to connect the macbook through the digital-out and the iPod through (or am hoping to connect) the lighting-30 PIN adapter > LOD

The Fiio E07K or E17 would do the job.
USB connection to Macbook Pro
The E17 also has S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) input, so if the MacBook Pro has optical output, that is another way to connect to the E17.
The E07K/E17 can connect to the iPod touch using headphone output to line-in connection (analog).
Just do not know enough about the new Apple 8-pin lighting connection to say for sure (but i think it would work?).

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #3 of 7
E17 in order to do use the digital out on the mac and then Lightning 30 pin - LOD - E17 will also work but only using the amp at that point.

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 7
I was wondering, since I'm more or less in the same situation as the OP, and am also considering getting the E17. I am however balancing between that and the iBasso D12 since they share more or less the same features. There is however a price difference, especially since I will have to import the iBasso to Europe so I was hoping if somebody could help me out and tell me if the price difference also translates into quality difference. 
Both seem well build, the D12 is more analog while the E17 seems more digital, both are well received on this forum so it makes my decision making very difficult. I did however had the impression that people liked the E17 with all its functionality, especially for its price. Where for the D12 people easier just say they love it.

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 7
That's why you have to get the apple lightning to pin adapter
Sorry, but the iPod setup will not work. The new Touch has no analog line out, without the external Apple Lightning adaptor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back