!!!! PORTA CORDA !!!! SALES-ACTION !!!!
Nov 10, 2001 at 9:11 PM Post #32 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by disturbed
Jan is there any way I can feed the porta corda AA's instead of 9V's?

an external powerpack with AA's that connects to the 9v plug?

Nov 10, 2001 at 10:29 PM Post #33 of 116
That's be pretty damn bulky (6 AAs!)......eeks.......

Nov 10, 2001 at 10:56 PM Post #34 of 116
6AA bulky? Nah, 16 is great, and makes a handy weapon in case you are mugged
tongue.gif
.Seriously, the apparent quality of the parts in the porta corda seems amazing for the price - a real steal!

Nov 10, 2001 at 11:28 PM Post #35 of 116
yeah, a porta-corda with 16AA's sounds like a plan to me!
biggrin.gif

By the way, I'm curious to know if anyone who has ordered the porta-corda has an airhead or total airhead as well to compare.

Nov 11, 2001 at 12:06 AM Post #36 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
yeah, a porta-corda with 16AA's sounds like a plan to me!
biggrin.gif

By the way, I'm curious to know if anyone who has ordered the porta-corda has an airhead or total airhead as well to compare.

someone posted at Headwize that he did and would, not sure who tho. curious about the outcome to say the least!

Nov 11, 2001 at 2:11 AM Post #37 of 116
a few quick questions ....

1. how long do you think a 9volt would run before it went dead on this thing... 4 hrs? 8hrs? 12hrs?

2. on a scale of 1 to 10, what are you all guessing this thing will be compared to Total Airhead and JMT? example ... Total Airhead = 5, JMT = 7, Porta = 9 (its kinda dumb because nobody's heard it yet, I just thought I'd ask)

3. when will they ship?

Johnny

Nov 11, 2001 at 12:13 PM Post #38 of 116
Dear Headfellows,

"how long do you think a 9volt would run before it went dead on this thing... 4 hrs? 8hrs? 12hrs? "

Current consumption of the Porta-Corda is 9 ~ 10 mA.

A standard 9V battery has a capacity of 500 .. 700 mAh and thereby theoretically lasts for at least 48 hours. However, whether the sound will be optimal near end of battery-life is something different though. I don't have any experience yet.

"when will they ship?"

First amps will be shipped tomorrow :)

"is there any way I can feed the porta corda AA's instead of 9V's?"

Sure, you have to use an external power-pack with at least 4 (6 is better) batteries in series. It will be a little bit clumsy though.

Note: 12 batteries in series do NOT keep longer as 6 batteries in series. Thereby this would double battery consumption. Sound quality increases though.

NiMh should work fine also.

"Any idea on how well it will drive differnt headphone loads ?
EG. How well will it drive some DT770's (250) ? "

This weekend I used the amp with my own DT931 + 120 adapter (370 Ohm total resistance) and had no problems.

The amp should work equally well with both low- and high-impedance headphones.

Cheers,

Jan

Nov 11, 2001 at 4:43 PM Post #39 of 116
Could someone give a short summary and technical explanation under which circumstances you would use the 120 ohms adapter? Does it depend on the headphone impedance only? Or are there other factors to consider? Or should we simply try and listen for ourselves?
smily_headphones1.gif

If the amp sounds better with higher voltage batteries, if you don't want to use an external battery pack, and if you want to use rechargeables, then these 9.6V 170mAh NiMHs are probably the way to go?

Nov 11, 2001 at 6:54 PM Post #40 of 116
to jan meier:

I'm very new to the portable headphone amp arena. I have a Total Airhead, and it's pretty amazing, but it seems to be missing something.

Could you take a minute and tell me what, in your opinion, makes the PortaCorda a superior amplifier? I'm mainly interested in hearing a description of how it "sounds" compared to technical features such as components used, etc.

Thanks

Nov 12, 2001 at 7:11 AM Post #41 of 116
DOH! Is the Porta Corda + HD580 offer running out on 7/12??
frown.gif

Think I'll wait until some reviews come in... but not sure if I can buy it even then
frown.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 12, 2001 at 8:03 AM Post #42 of 116
Dear Jan,
Like JohnnyLexus, I wouldn't mind hearing your "pitch" of the Porta Corda. I'm certain I will be purchasing one next month (portablity is essential to me - that's the beauty of a great set of headphones!), but I would like to hear some of your thoughts about how the Porta Corda stacks up against the regular Corda. Earlier you said the Porta Corda might lack some of the micro dynamics of the regular Corda due to its design (in that tiny, portable package, it's completely understandable, too), but how close/distant would you rate their two sound in comparison? Headroom is bold enough to make the claim that a portable Cosmic amp will perform to the level of "95 percent" or its better home amps. It's tough to apply percentages to something as unqualifiable as sound, but would you say the Porta Corda is a worthy successor to your great Corda amp?

Nov 12, 2001 at 9:38 AM Post #43 of 116
Dear Headfellows,

"I would like to hear some of your thoughts about how the Porta Corda stacks up against the regular Corda."

Mm....

Difficult question as my PORTA-CORDA still lacks a decent break-in. Moreover, it will strongly depend on the headphone used, on the power supply voltage and on your sound level.

With my own DT931 (+ 120 Ohm adapter) and a 9V battery I would say 85% but as you said yourself, it's difficult to make a linear scale.

"Is the Porta Corda + HD580 offer running out on 7/12?? "

Yes, it is!!

"I have a Total Airhead, and it's pretty amazing, but it seems to be missing something. Could you take a minute and tell me what, in your opinion, makes the PortaCorda a superior amplifier?"

Sorry, but I never heard a TA so I honestly can't tell the difference.

"Could someone give a short summary and technical explanation under which circumstances you would use the 120 ohms adapter?"

You find a description in the chapter "headphone tricks" on my home-page:

www.meier-audio.com

Cheers,

Jan

Nov 12, 2001 at 7:31 PM Post #44 of 116
Dear Jan,
Like JohnnyLexus, I wouldn't mind hearing your "pitch" of the Porta Corda. I'm certain I will be purchasing one next month (portablity is essential to me - that's the beauty of a great set of headphones!), but I would like to hear some of your thoughts about how the Porta Corda stacks up against the regular Corda. Earlier you said the Porta Corda might lack some of the micro dynamics of the regular Corda due to its design (in that tiny, portable package, it's completely understandable, too), but how close/distant would you rate their two sound in comparison? Headroom is bold enough to make the claim that a portable Cosmic amp will perform to the level of "95 percent" or its better home amps. It's tough to apply percentages to something as unqualifiable as sound, but would you say the Porta Corda is a worthy successor to your great Corda amp?

Nov 12, 2001 at 7:35 PM Post #45 of 116
I'm interested in how this Porta-Corda stacks up against a JMT Altoids amp. Hopefully, somebody will be able to do a comparison...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back