Porcupine Tree - "The Incident"
Sep 17, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #332 of 431
I have my tickets for the show in Montreal. (Sep 29.)

Here's the setlist from last night in Seattle :

The Incident (the first CD of the new album)

break

The Start of Something Beautiful
The Sound of Muzak
Lazarus
Russia On Ice
The middle section of Anesthetize
Normal
Bonnie the Cat
Way Out of Here

enc: Mother and Child Divided

Sep 17, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #334 of 431
nice set....thanks pfillion...wonder if it'll be the same throughout?
Great set!

The new
Deadwing
FOABP
Lightbulb Sun
In Absentia
Nil Recurring

Bonnie the Cat Live should be fantastic!

Mother and Child is a great exit song!

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #335 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice set....thanks pfillion...wonder if it'll be the same throughout?
Great set!

Bonnie the Cat Live should be fantastic!

Any idea what Bonnie the Cat is about?

Also, try to imagine Jon Anderson doing the vocals on The Incident. The album has a Yes undertone I can't quite identify.

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #336 of 431
They had a different setlist last night in Portland.

Sep 16 2009 PORTLAND, USA: Roseland

1: The Incident

-------

1: Start Of Something Beautiful
2: Buying A New Soul
3: Middle part of Anesthetize
4: Lazarus
5: Strip The Soul/.3
6: Bonnie The Cat

--------

1: Way Out Of Here
2: Trains

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #337 of 431
Hmm...fairly weak setlist IMO. There are much better songs in their catalogue. "Way out of here" and "Start of Something Beautiful" are both weak songs. Strip the Soul is kinda boring as well.

I like the first setlist a bit more. Wonder what they are gonna do this friday. But atleast it sounds like a reasonably long concert. Last time I felt slightly short changed, they finished pretty quickly.

EDIT : Well on second thoughts, the middle parts of both those songs might actually be fun in a Live setting.

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #338 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...fairly weak setlist IMO. There are much better songs in their catalogue. "Way out of here" and "Start of Something Beautiful" are both weak songs. Strip the Soul is kinda boring as well.

I like the first setlist a bit more. Wonder what they are gonna do this friday. But atleast it sounds like a reasonably long concert. Last time I felt slightly short changed, they finished pretty quickly.

EDIT : Well on second thoughts, the middle parts of both those songs might actually be fun in a Live setting.

If you look through Porcupine Tree studio albums, there's 0 weak songs in Porcupine Tree discography. There are some songs that aren't just as good as other songs but all in all, it's pure awesomeness from beginning to the end.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #340 of 431
Weak compared to other PT songs, sheesh, take it easy! I love PT as much as anyone else. I'd rather have them play some other song is what that means, stop making this a fanboi thread and let a man speak. If you like Start of something beautiful and would rather hear them play that good for you, not me, I said it, I dont need anyone to tell me that I am supposed to like it.

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #342 of 431
I've gotta say, I'm not sure where I stand on the new album. I think I'm warming up to it, and some songs like Black Dhalia and Flicker are really helping, though I still don't feel it is up there with some of their previous work, like Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, Signify, The Sky Moves Sideways, In Absentia... Well, maybe I'll change my mind after listening a bit more.

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #343 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've gotta say, I'm not sure where I stand on the new album. I think I'm warming up to it, and some songs like Black Dhalia and Flicker are really helping, though I still don't feel it is up there with some of their previous work, like Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, Signify, The Sky Moves Sideways, In Absentia... Well, maybe I'll change my mind after listening a bit more.

I remember the first time I heard In Absentia -- at the concert, and then subsequently on a demo CD I acquired -- before the album was released. Magical moments... truly. I haven't felt that way about anything PT has done since. IA was a masterpiece (didn't really care for Wedding Nails though). All the songs (or most anyway, the main theme and chorus) were in the same key so the album flowed. I guess SW hasn't been able to get himself back to that magical place -- or perhaps he chooses not to, I don't know. Every band has their best era and I think sadly that PT are beyond their prime.

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #344 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember the first time I heard In Absentia -- at the concert, and then subsequently on a demo CD I acquired -- before the album was released. Magical moments... truly. I haven't felt that way about anything PT has done since. IA was a masterpiece (didn't really care for Wedding Nails though). All the songs (or most anyway, the main theme and chorus) were in the same key so the album flowed. I guess SW hasn't been able to get himself back to that magical place -- or perhaps he chooses not to, I don't know. Every band has their best era and I think sadly that PT are beyond their prime.

I agree. Porcupine Tree peaked with Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, and In Absentia.

Here is the odd coincidence: Both Porcupine Tree and Opeth peaked at roughly the same time. Mikael and Steven are bad for each other. It seems like their working together has really put a damper on what makes each of them unique, with each trying to be the other person sometimes in songwriting style
confused_face.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #345 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weak compared to other PT songs, sheesh, take it easy! I love PT as much as anyone else. I'd rather have them play some other song is what that means, stop making this a fanboi thread and let a man speak. If you like Start of something beautiful and would rather hear them play that good for you, not me, I said it, I dont need anyone to tell me that I am supposed to like it.

Haha, relax. I was just joking. But I must admit that Porcupine Tree is easily my favorite band.

Now when I listened to the new album more critically, I must say that I understand if someone finds the bass weak. It is weak on some more complex passages. But then again, there are many spots where the punch is quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back