Porcupine Tree - "The Incident"
Sep 16, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #318 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought In Absentia was rather loud... even the DVD-A

It is. I still like the aggressive surround mix a lot (makes for a good downmix), but it does not need to be that loud.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #319 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And when you listen to it through your computer speakers or iPod earbuds, it sounds good!
tongue.gif
Through a neutral reference, no. This makes me wonder what he was using to monitor the mix. Whatever it was, it wasn't neutral.

I see... maybe. Why use a neutral reference on music that wasn't intended for it? NR to me means a system for accurately duplicating acoustic sounds.

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #320 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't miss that at all. Why wouldn't we expect consistency in production? It's acceptable to go from good to poor the more experience you gain in the field? Come on. What are YOU smoking? It should get better, not worse.

IPodPJ, I just disagree and think production on "The Incident" is incredible and on par with past production/mixing.

Has it grown on you at all? Are you enjoying it?

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #321 of 431
Is it just me or is the second disc better mastered than the first? To me the second disc sounds a lot like "Recordings" and has a very good sound overall. Bonnie the Cat especially will make a very good demo song.

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #322 of 431
Gave the first disc a few listens. I enjoy the music and like how it feels like a blend of a lot of their previous albums, as albums like Deadwing did bore me somewhat. I do tend to prefer their earlier psychedelic/progressive albums a bit more.

A minor complaint, but I was thinking this would sound like a true progressive album that sounds like a single 55 minute song. To get an idea "Time Flies" is my favorite song on the album and the one that I think feels most in place. While there is seamless transition from song to song, it still feels like a collection of songs and not the revolutionary idea that SW portrayed it to be.

I have to agree that the sound quality isn't really doing much for me. The drums sound weak and it sounds like it was done on a drum machine. Where's the definition from the snare and kick drum? Overall the sound quality isn't a huge disappointment because no Porcupine Tree album (CD or DVD-A) is meant to be an audiophile masterpiece, and they've always sounded overly processed (I can understand if this is intended by SW), but I prefer albums recorded with analog equipment and converted to digital using high quality A/D converters.

I'm still hoping we get the high res stereo PCM on DVD-A (or as a digital download) that hopefully more care went into mastering.

Has anyone heard the bonus tracks on the Japanese issue? "Way out of Here (live)" and "What Happens Now? (live)"

All just my 2 c.

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #323 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A minor complaint, but I was thinking this would sound like a true progressive album that sounds like a single 55 minute song. To get an idea "Time Flies" is my favorite song on the album and the one that I think feels most in place. While there is seamless transition from song to song, it still feels like a collection of songs and not the revolutionary idea that SW portrayed it to be.

Have to agree. It really is a smudged together string of songs. I like the separate songs and sounds of it but was really hoping for something like a 55min Arriving Somewhere type song with great build up and climax in the end. As it is, it does not hold my attention for almost an hour.
Maybe it still has to grow on me.

and is it just me, or are the lyrics a bit too cheesy and thrown together? (Time Flies makes me shudder)

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #324 of 431
I was just checking the PT The Incident Limited Edition order page and it would appear that it is indeed sold out....glad I got mine!

http://www.theomegaorder.com/

Scroll down a bit.

I guess the prices on Ebay for the LE just went up a bit!

here's one ebay listing....it will be interesting to see what it sells for in a couple of hours(04:35pm est right now and auction ends in 2hrs 55m):

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Porcupine-T...d=p3286.c0.m14

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #325 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have to agree. It really is a smudged together string of songs. I like the separate songs and sounds of it but was really hoping for something like a 55min Arriving Somewhere type song with great build up and climax in the end. As it is, it does not hold my attention for almost an hour.
Maybe it still has to grow on me.

and is it just me, or are the lyrics a bit too cheesy and thrown together? (Time Flies makes me shudder)

I don't listen to PT for the lyrics, I've always been of the opinion SW is a poor lyricist and almost prefer the lyrics to be buried in the mix
o2smile.gif

Like many accomplished musicians SW does tend to toot his own horn (something he picked up from Robert Fripp?
wink.gif
), so I'm not really disappointed that it's more of a bog standard album opposed to something truly progressive.

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #327 of 431
Quote:

I don't listen to PT for the lyrics, I've always been of the opinion SW is a poor lyricist and almost prefer the lyrics to be buried in the mix
o2smile.gif

Like many accomplished musicians SW does tend to toot his own horn (something he picked up from Robert Fripp?
wink.gif
), so I'm not really disappointed that it's more of a bog standard album opposed to something truly progressive.

bog standard album....interesting...what is your intended meaning of this and forgive my ignorance regarding this label?

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #328 of 431
I like some of the dreamy thoughts I get by listening to their previous albums, like that 60 ton angel or arriving somewhere. I'm not native English and most of the time I just miss (or hear past) the lyrics in songs and just hear the sound of the voice, unless I really listen for the text.

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #329 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IPodPJ, I just disagree and think production on "The Incident" is incredible and on par with past production/mixing.

Has it grown on you at all? Are you enjoying it?

I enjoy the content, not the quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it just me or is the second disc better mastered than the first? To me the second disc sounds a lot like "Recordings" and has a very good sound overall. Bonnie the Cat especially will make a very good demo song.

I thought so too at first, but after a lot of listening I wasn't so sure. I need to listen more to see if that's the case.

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #330 of 431
Quote:

I'm still hoping we get the high res stereo PCM on DVD-A (or as a digital download) that hopefully more care went into mastering.

I doubt that'll make any difference. The incident is very conservatively mastered on the cd release, replaygain around -5.3db for the album. I'll have to listen a few more times but production sounds good to me, perhaps less compressed than previous efforts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back