Popular Music Trash-Talk?!?!
Nov 9, 2001 at 1:17 AM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

52:08 is the length of a single song?

Yeah, and it's a rock song!
tongue.gif

I love Wagner, his operas are 3 to 4 hours long!

Nov 9, 2001 at 7:23 AM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
How long was the original In-uh-god-duh-duh-vee-duh (phonetic spelling
wink.gif
)?

In-a-gadda-da-vida is something like 18-20 minutes long, but it mostly consists of some sort of psychedelic instrumental orgy.

Nov 9, 2001 at 10:27 AM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
What are you listening to davidcotton?

The longest song that I own that isn't classical/opera is a mere 52:08
very_evil_smiley.gif

check his or my profile to give you somewhere to start off.

longest song I know of: Flower Kings - Garden of Flowers. it's over an hour long
smily_headphones1.gif

long doesn't equal good, but some bands pull it off ll the time without gettign boring or repetitive (Arena - Moviedrome for instance)

Nov 9, 2001 at 11:42 AM Post #50 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
What are you listening to davidcotton?

The longest song that I own that isn't classical/opera is a mere 52:08
very_evil_smiley.gif

Progressive Rock what else??!!!!!

Nov 10, 2001 at 3:48 PM Post #51 of 56
The longest song I have on disc is Ascension (see avatar for details).

Nov 10, 2001 at 4:40 PM Post #52 of 56
Most prog music consists of suites of songs tied together, that doesn't count (unless you want to count Pink Floyd's The Wall, etc. which is like 80 minutes long, no?) I'm curious what the single longest track anyone here has heard. (BTW, not meaning to rag on prog music, I'm a big fan myself.)

The longest song I used to know was "Thursday Afternoon" by Brian Eno, which was like...um...an hour long? Going from memory, don't have it handy.

But now it's (and I don't own this, yet) a track by Robert Rich on the Somnium DVD (that's right, it's so long, it doesn't anywhere near fit on a CD), which, I believe, is in the Guiness book of records as the single longest piece, though they had to break it up into chunks (I believe because the authoring software couldn't handle it). 7 hours!

Nov 10, 2001 at 5:20 PM Post #53 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk
Most prog music consists of suites of songs tied together, that doesn't count (unless you want to count Pink Floyd's The Wall, etc. which is like 80 minutes long, no?) I'm curious what the single longest track anyone here has heard. (BTW, not meaning to rag on prog music, I'm a big fan myself.)

Arena's "Moviedrome" counts. 19 minutes and then some. 30 if you count the soundscape intro of the live version.

but every song concists of parts, intro, chorus etc etc. if you give them seperate names it doesn't count as one anymore? I know some stuff like a typical Spock's Beard "epic" are just a bunch of parts with a vague central theme glued together and concept albums or rock opera's shouldn't count. but the 23 minutes "A Change Of Seasons" by Dream Theater should, cause it's one coherent piece. yeah they gave all the passages seperate names, but you could do that with every piece of music.

7 hours is hard to beat tho. reading the little piece of text tho, isn't it just a very long soundscape? nothing too fancy about that. much harder to write a story and music that stays interesting all the way through.

Nov 10, 2001 at 5:32 PM Post #54 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
but every song concists of parts, intro, chorus etc etc. if you give them seperate names it doesn't count as one anymore?

No, I wasn't meaning to be a pedant. I mean, look at "La Villa Strangiato". Unless you look at the liner notes, you wouldn't recognize it as a variations-on-a-theme type piece, so yes, it counts as one. I guess I was just sort of trying to go off on a tangent and spur some sort of discussion. Another example are the four pieces on Yes' Tales from Topographic Oceans. Each one of them would count as one, IMHO. But yes, as far as The Game goes, that's what I was trying to say -- if something can be broken down into "songs", then it isn't a song itself. "In-a-gadda-da-vida" is another excellent example -- sure that middle section is just a psychedelic jam-out, but...so is a lot of the jazz that I listen to (70's era Miles, etc.)...so yes, it counts.

And yes, the Robert Rich piece is probably very much on the order of "Thursday Afternoon", but it's not that easy, either. It takes a certain mindset.

Nov 10, 2001 at 6:38 PM Post #55 of 56
Maybe this oughta be a seperate thread but anyhoo

Legend (forgotton the name of the track)from the third cd was a wopping 29 minutes from start to finish....

Nov 10, 2001 at 7:52 PM Post #56 of 56
Quote:

so, television is a kids only form of exposure ? much has changed since I was a kid...

well thing sure as hell have changed since My youth.For one,not having video games or computers and no MTV meant I/WE actually did something physical.If it was spring/summer then we would toss the baseball around or challenge another neighborhood to a game,or maybe go fishing/camping/bike riding.Fall would mean soccer or football,winter would be ice skating and sneaking beers and trying to lose our virginity (way easier to get some opposite sex body contact when it is cold
biggrin.gif
)
My sons could play video games for ten hours at a clip ! I can not even BE IN THE HOUSE that long,I would go friggin crazy !

Typical scene at racho ricardo-pick any of my three sons-phone on shoulder,MTV on,computer game being played

Music ?The only exposure was top 40 AM radio,FM back then was all about classical,opera,or talk radio.So then as now we purchased whatever was popular at the time.
Anyone remember 45 discs ? I would buy the song,not an entire album.My first exposure to the LP as something I wanted was when at the age of 14 I was blessed with a date with a fine looking college woman of the ripe old age of 19.While at her apartment she put the album Crosby,Stills and Nash on.I do not think I had ever listened to an entire album from beginning to end before that.The next day i bought the album (which I still have) and never went the 45 route again.
eek.gif

So really nothing has changed.When young you usually go with what is popular,it gives you something in common with your peers and something you can talk about due to all having exposure to the same ****.As you get older you get to a point where you define your own taste,you become more of an individual instead of part of a group.It is what makes us different.
Then again,what do i know
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back