Popular Music Trash-Talk?!?!
Nov 7, 2001 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

coolvij

Board geriatric
I've noticed that quite often on head-fi, ppl tend to insult popular music, for whatever be the reason (Appendix A: BRITNEY SPEARS THREAD).

I, myself, like Rage Against The Machine, SOME hindi pop (bashfully I admit it), Sting, Seal, some Nelly Furtado and......that's about it, for the "embarassing" stuff.

I'm wondering what do other people on head-fi listen to that is considered "mainstream."

rolleyes.gif

Nov 7, 2001 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 56
Nothing...

I am sure that "real" fans don't think it's embarassing, so deep down you must know that it's all crap, or else you wouldn't had to type that.

Anyway, at the end of the day, you can't listen to what other people think you should be listening to. If you like to listen to crap, then by golly, listen to crap and be happy, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

Nov 7, 2001 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 56
KR - see....their you go again. "Real" fans? Please......

I mean, I used the words bashfully and embarassing (note the "s)to imply that I did not expect approval from the crowd out here....

So.....what do you REALLY think?
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2001 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 56
I listen to a decent amount of j-pop, as well as some pop radio stations. But I think people automatically bash pop music (Britney), not necessarily popular music (RATM).

I couldn't care less who approves of my music choices. All I ask is they not start looking down their nose at me because of my music choices. That just makes me respect that person less.

Nov 7, 2001 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 56
dhwilkin: pop music, popular music.......what does pop stand for, again?
very_evil_smiley.gif

KR: You hit upon a very good point - what is WITH that whole jazz/classical=audiophile thing that is so prevalent?

Nov 7, 2001 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 56
This morning I listened to Mahler's 5th symphony... right now it's Andrew Lloyd Webber, not real highbrow!

We know some music lacks much merit we but listen to it anyway. In this way it is a little bit like eating candy... of no real value but pleasant occasionally. Britney is sort of like Mountain Dew. Way too sweet for me, but some people like that.

Nov 7, 2001 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 56
coolvij, I do make a distinction when somebody says pop. That makes me think of boy/girl bands like Nsync/Britney. I do not automatically think of something like RATM, and I'd bet they wouldn't want you think of them as pop, either. Aren't they broken up, BTW?

Nov 7, 2001 at 10:17 PM Post #9 of 56
coolvij,

I see that you finally got that I was just kidding with BOTH of my posts there. If you really want to know what I think about this, seriously then I tell you, I honestly couldn’t care less what anyone listens to. I may rib some people here, but I think they know it’s all in good fun, and that I not really being serious.

Quote:

You hit upon a very good point - what is WITH that whole jazz/classical=audiophile thing that is so prevalent?

Becuase most of them are older that that type of music appeals to them. Also another reason in that that type of music sound better recorded live, and therefore you can get a closer to the real thing with classical and Jazz that you could with other types of music, and that the whole point of Hi-Fi, right? Then there's the whole snobbish bit, but I'll be nice and let someone else go there
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2001 at 10:26 PM Post #11 of 56
Good heavens, you mean I've been thinking Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre represented rap, and all this time they were POP?!? Bah, I stand by my definition.
tongue.gif

Nov 7, 2001 at 10:32 PM Post #13 of 56
Yes, I already stated that. I use pop to mean a genre. If I mean popular, I'll say popular.

Nov 7, 2001 at 10:33 PM Post #14 of 56
KR: I knew you were kidding.....didn't ya kno I was, too?
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways - more thoughts, guys....I *know* more of you listen to some sort of pop music...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back