Popular music of Turkey, the Caucasus & Central Asia
Aug 14, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #145 of 342
Very interesting thread, when I have more time I hope to come back and explore the music. I do tend to stray away from folk music where there are very traditional gender roles reinforced in the subject matter. I am not saying I know if that is the case here at all, but if it is I would tend to prefer to not spend time with that type of material. So ADUHF, given my stated preferences to avoid really gender role/traditional music, are there any artists I should avoid in this thread?

Aug 15, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #146 of 342
Very interesting thread, when I have more time I hope to come back and explore the music.

Welcome aboard, Sonic Defender. I hope you will. There are alot of very talented artists in this milieu.

I do tend to stray away from folk music where there are very traditional gender roles reinforced in the subject matter. I am not saying I know if that is the case here at all, but if it is I would tend to prefer to not spend time with that type of material. So ADUHF, given my stated preferences to avoid really gender role/traditional music, are there any artists I should avoid in this thread?

Interesting question. I may need to mull that over a bit. As a general rule though, I think you'll find the Turks a fairly liberal and nuanced bunch. And probably not as in your face with the usual male/female stereotypes as, say, hip-hop, chalga, or country music, for example. If there is any reinforcement of that sort of thing, it may have more to do with my particular biases and selections than anything else. Some of the Uzbek videos will poke some fun at traditional male-female roles. So you might possibly want to avoid some of those... Or not. It just depends.

Fwiw, I don't generally worry too much about that kind of thing. And just watch and listen to whatever/whomever happens to appeal to my ears, regardless of who they are. As a general rule though, I like strong female performers, so that's probably what you're mostly gonna get from me here, and elsewhere. There are some very good male performers in this genre too though. And I'll post them as well, when I run across songs I like.

Does that help at all?

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #147 of 342
Some more Gulsen. Some of her older songs and videos do have a more "chalga-ish" vibe, like this one.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #149 of 342
Welcome aboard, Sonic Defender. I hope you will. There are alot of very talented artists in this milieu.

Interesting question. I may need to mull that over a bit. As a general rule though, I think you'll find the Turks a fairly liberal and nuanced bunch. And probably not as in your face with the usual male/female stereotypes as, say, hip-hop, chalga, or country music, for example. If there is any reinforcement of that sort of thing, it may have more to do with my particular biases and selections than anything else. Some of the Uzbek videos will poke some fun at traditional male-female roles. So you might possibly want to avoid some of those... Or not. It just depends.

Fwiw, I don't generally worry too much about that kind of thing. And just watch and listen to whatever/whomever happens to appeal to my ears, regardless of who they are. As a general rule though, I like strong female performers, so that's probably what you're mostly gonna get from me here, and elsewhere. There are some very good male performers in this genre too though. And I'll post them as well, when I run across songs I like.

Does that help at all?
Excellent point about gender roles in western music, well taken, and yes your thoughts are very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts down. I will be coming back to the thread for some listening soon. Really happy to have found the thread, thanks mate.

Aug 18, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #150 of 342
Excellent point about gender roles in western music, well taken, and yes your thoughts are very helpful.

Gender stereotypes are definitely a thing in much of western culture. I wouldn't waste any breath attempting to argue that point with you. :) They exist in every culture though. And are just packaged a little differently in the east than in the west. Look at just about any popular Bollywood video (including many I've posted here) or Kpop video, and I suspect you'll see what I mean.

As long as it's primarily for adult consumption, I don't really see a big problem with it. I expect most adult viewers and listeners to have the knowledge, experience and discernment to appreciate and understand it for what it is. If you don't like it, then you always have the option to change the channel to something that better suits your particular entertainment sensibilities... That's one of the beautiful things about forums like this. If the material is marketed primarily toward younger viewers and listeners though, then I can see how it could be more of an issue.

Most of the material I post on this forum is intended for other adult listeners like myself btw. And hopefully any negative stereotypes contained in some of it are somewhat balanced out by more positive ones in other places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back