Popular Classical Music
Nov 1, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #7,833 of 8,702
1667318373199.png

Nov 2, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #7,836 of 8,702
Yesterday an absolutely unforgetable concert in Madrid. I had high hopes and the result was as expected. On paper the concert could not be better: excellent orchestra, conductor and great program.
First we had the Royal Concertgebouw, always rated among the best, and for many simply the best in the world. Daniel Harding conducting. The program: Brahms violin concerto with a first class soloist Leonidas Kavakos and the Beethoven 6th the Pastoral.
My God! What a beautiful sound from the orchestra! The strings simply fantastic, a lush beautiful sound. It is here where I hear more difference from the Spanish National Orchestra that I regularly see which is a pretty good orchestra but a step bellow this, specially in the strings. Also I loved how the Concertgebouw modulated the sound. One could hear all the solo parts perfectly and no instrument sounded too loud like it sometimes happens with horns or the percussion. The orchestra was excellent with Brahms and outstanding with Beethoven. In the first part Kavakos, as all the times that I have seen him, making a top quality performance, beautiful sound coming out of his violin. He gave an encore. I believe it was Bach but I cannot say for sure. Daniel Harding is an excellent conductor. I have seen him before conducting Brahms but with the Concertgebouw, it was just soooooo good! Some say the Pastoral is the most difficult to conduct of the Beethoven symphonies.

Beethoven Symphony no 6 Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra Iván Fischer 2017

Also I would like to recommend the page of the Concertgebouw Orchestra, they have many concerts in high quality video and sound.
https://www.concertgebouworkest.nl/en
https://www.concertgebouworkest.nl/en/video/beethoven-symphony-no-6-pastoral

Nov 4, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #7,839 of 8,702
Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 / Klaus Mäkelä / Oslo Philharmonic - Oslo Concert Hall, 4th January 2019.

The Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125, is a choral symphony, the final complete symphony by Ludwig van Beethoven composed between 1822 and 1824. It was first performed in Vienna on 7 May 1824. The symphony is regarded by many critics and musicologists as Beethoven's greatest work and one of the supreme achievements in the history of music.

The Ninth was the first example of a major composer using voices in a symphony. The final (4th) movement of the symphony features four vocal soloists and a chorus. The text was adapted from the "Ode to Joy", a poem written by Friedrich Schiller in 1785 and revised in 1803, with additional text written by Beethoven.
00:00 first movement, 16:07 second movement, 30:20 third movement, 43:52 fourth movement.

Nov 5, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #7,844 of 8,702
Something more traditional. Listening to the horn trio…oh this interpretation (even for a non classical trained person like me) is so different. The horn playing is subtle and delicate, but sometimes I miss the vigour and the tension that makes Brahms so special. Nonetheless, wonderful music

1667674526600.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back