Popular Classical Music
Jun 14, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #7,547 of 8,715
Hello Pete @CanadianMaestro - Good to see you my friend! :beerchug:

Glad to hear that you are still alive and kicking after a couple of crazy years with COVID 19!

Myself and the Maestro used to have a good bit of banter and fun on one of the classical music threads. The thread was very active when I joined HF, quite often there was plenty of controversy, where the thread got locked on us several times. :darthsmile:

Any news or any stuff to share with us?

Hello LM,

I'm OK, hope you are too. Just enjoying my stereo system and musik whenever I can.
Getting pumped for retirement this fall. Looking forward to other projects and to spending more time with family out east. Hoping to getting some travel done now that restrictions are easing at airports and abroad.

Keep up the fabulous posts. Will drop in occasionally; pm me if have time.

Best
CM

Jun 15, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #7,548 of 8,715

Misa de Réquiem’ - G. Verdi - Dir. Lorin Maazel​

Desde el Palacio de Congresos de Madrid, concierto de la Orquesta Sinfónica y Coro RTVE. Dir. Lorin Maazel. 00:01:00.000 - 01:23:14.999 Misa de Réquiem de Giuseppe Verdi, con el Coro RTVE preparado por Alberto Blancafort y Ángeles Gulín (Soprano), Oralia Domínguez (Contralto), Charles Craig (Tenor) y Bonaldo Giaiotti (Bajo), como solistas. Fecha de emisión: 15 de abril de 1976

Jun 15, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #7,549 of 8,715

Jun 15, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #7,550 of 8,715
fight.jpg

Time for Handel's Hallelujah chorus!!

Jun 16, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #7,551 of 8,715

Bach: St John Passion | Choir & Orchestra of the J.S. Bach Foundation, Rudolf Lutz (conductor)​

Live from the Leipzig Bach Festival 2022: St John Passion by Johann Sebastian Bach (1749 version). The Choir & Orchestra of the J.S. Bach Foundation will sing and play, conducted by Rudolf Lutz. The opening of the concert will be the world premiere of the Prelude in G minor for organ by Rudolf Lutz (*1951). The organ will be played by the St. Thomas Church organist Johannes Lang.
Performers: Johannes Lang | ORGAN Evangelist and Arias: Daniel Johannsen | TENOR Jesus: Peter Harvey | BASS Miriam Feuersinger | SOPRANO Alex Potter | ALTUS Pilate and Arias: Matthias Helm | BASS Choir & Orchestra of the J.S. Bach Foundation St. Gallen Rudolf Lutz | CONDUCTOR
The St John Passion, BWV 245, one of the five Passions composed by Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750), is one of the only two which have survived in their entireity – the other being the St Matthew Passion, BWV 244. The premiere performance of the St John Passion – also referred to as the Passio secundum Joannem – was held on Good Friday 1724, in Leipzig's St. Nicholas Church (Nikolaikirche). Bach was cantor at St. Thomas Church in Leipzig from 1723 until his death in 1750. During this time, he performed the St John Passion himself at least four times in one of two main churches in Leipzig – and rewrote it for each one of the performances. Each of the revisions was extensive. He changed the structure, the instrumentation, the music, and sometimes even the text. On the basis of the four different versions of the St John Passion that he performed, Bach's approach to working on this great piece of church music is still quite easy to understand today. The principal textual basis of the St John Passion are chapters 18 and 19 from the Gospel of John, some of which were carried over verbatim. In addition, interpolations of hymn stanzas for 4-part choir form a framework through which the Passion can be inserted into the liturgical context. Who arranged the text of the St John Passion for Bach is unknown. Nowadays, the St John Passion is usually performed in concert rather than in church services. This way, its highly dramatic effect can be fully appreciated.

Jun 17, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #7,553 of 8,715
Was listening to this one several times during the week

J.S.Bach HARPSICHORD Concerto in D Minor BWV 1052 Polina Osetinskaya piano, The Mariinsky String Orchestra & Conductor: Anton Gakkel

St.Petersburg, Mariinsky Theatre, Concert Hall 29.03.2015

0:05 - 1mvt / 8:15 - 2mvt / 16:13 - 3mvt

1655456634103.png

1655456575767.png

Jun 19, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #7,557 of 8,715
Fatma Said & Marianne Crebassa – Offenbach: Barcarolle: Belle nuit ô nuit d’amour (Contes d'Hoffmann) (Tales of Hoffmann)

Kim Bernard plays Ravel: Le Tombeau de Couperin (Couperin's Tomb), M. 68: VI. Toccata

Jun 19, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #7,558 of 8,715
Pianist Mitsuko Uchida performs Beethoven's famous work - Moonlight Sonata performed live at the Royal Albert Hall (BBC Proms 2020)

BBC Proms 2020 - Copland - Quiet City

Fanfare for St Edmundsbury by Benjamin Britten: Featuring Phil Cobb, Ryan Linham, and Sam Kinrade

Jun 19, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #7,559 of 8,715
Pianist Mitsuko Uchida performs Beethoven's famous work - Moonlight Sonata performed live at the Royal Albert Hall (BBC Proms 2020)

BBC Proms 2020 - Copland - Quiet City

Fanfare for St Edmundsbury by Benjamin Britten: Featuring Phil Cobb, Ryan Linham, and Sam Kinrade

Thanks Light-Man.
The 2022 Proms are just around the corner so to say.
I really like the sense of flow and tempo here . But at first I was a bit surprised to see that sheet music. But no, it is not the Moonlight Sonata , she has got that one under her fingers for sure!
But now I need to walk over to my piano and see if I can at least imitate some of her immaculate flow.
I also once again, have to after a very long time, try snippets of another very different work I stumbled upon on YouTube this morning.Alice Sara Ott - Pictures at an Exhibition - Mussorgsky - YouTube
And here apart from also being an excellent performance in its own right,I can not resist "nicking" a YT comment made on that performance : "She is a doll yes, but two minutes in, she is also an artist"
Looks like Alice Sara Ott has really blossomed since I last watched her.

Cheers CC

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #7,560 of 8,715
Was listening to this one several times during the week

J.S.Bach HARPSICHORD Concerto in D Minor BWV 1052 Polina Osetinskaya piano, The Mariinsky String Orchestra & Conductor: Anton Gakkel

St.Petersburg, Mariinsky Theatre, Concert Hall 29.03.2015

0:05 - 1mvt / 8:15 - 2mvt / 16:13 - 3mvt

1655456634103.png

1655456575767.png

Now, If she volunteers to teach me the" Rach" she can stay for free in my cottage all summer if she wants to. No strings attached. Cheers CC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back