A465FEF1-9720-4198-BB0E-CF83DC8C7F02.jpeg

5CF246D2-F184-412B-A416-5990778B0F3E.jpeg

CF15A2A8-0D6D-4D0E-872E-7B3674576B70.jpeg

DE14698F-0827-4F5F-AB55-7DE3C80911CF.jpeg

D9CEC77B-AAB8-4015-A5E8-97AF487104D0.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #7,239 of 8,708
Astor Piazzolla | Oblivion

Violin: Lelie Cristea, Piano Accompaniment: Tamilla Guliyeva & Sound Recording by Arthur Jogerst

Music: Yann Tiersen - Porz Goret & Acrobatics: Tarek Rammo & Kami-Lynne Bruin

Abel Korzeniowski - Dance For Me Wallis

Dancer & editor | Lana Lebedeva | LIGHTLANA

Production | Pavel Danilyuk

Feb 23, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #7,242 of 8,708
I just heard that Finnish violinist, conductor and composer Jaakko Kuusisto has passed away. He was diagnosed with a brain tumor in 2020. I’ve heard him live multiple times both as a conductor and on violin and jazz pianist Iiro Rantala who is one of my personal heroes also happens to be married to his sister. While the news didn’t come out of nowhere, it still hit me pretty hard.

In his honor, here’s his performance of Einojuhani Rautavaara’s (he passed away in 2016) violin concerto. It is one of my favorite violin concertos and this remains my favorite recording of it.

Feb 24, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #7,243 of 8,708
Today's adventure in that's not Classical…
A track from Matt Enery's upcoming "Spotlight Series" - this time featuring harp (the previous one was cello, also worth checking out)

FWIW Spotify tags it as Classical

I also listen a lot via my big speakers to music that is not strictly western classical like World Music and Asian Music. Here is a link to what I have already listened to twice this morning
A meeting by the Bamboo ~ Shastro & Chinmaya Dunster - YouTube .
I have several of of Chinmaya Dunster´s albums already and like most of them.
He has a nice way of blending mainly Asian inspired world music with natural sounds of nature which appeals to me and this track shows how he does it. It was actually recorded outdoors in a bamboo grove with the sounds of birds in the background.
Shastro on his bamboo flute was a new dicscovery for me.
Cheers CC

Feb 24, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #7,244 of 8,708
I just heard that Finnish violinist, conductor and composer Jaakko Kuusisto has passed away. He was diagnosed with a brain tumor in 2020. I’ve heard him live multiple times both as a conductor and on violin and jazz pianist Iiro Rantala who is one of my personal heroes also happens to be married to his sister. While the news didn’t come out of nowhere, it still hit me pretty hard.

In his honor, here’s his performance of Einojuhani Rautavaara’s (he passed away in 2016) violin concerto. It is one of my favorite violin concertos and this remains my favorite recording of it.

really sad, Kuusisto was only 48.
Here as conductor

Jaakko Kuusisto: Music from the film Under the North Star (excerpt)​

Feb 24, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #7,245 of 8,708

Rautavaara is one of my favourite contemporary composers and I also have that album . Sad to hear about Kuusisto´s fate. This week I have been playing another Rautavaara BIS album "Angel of Light" which contain his 7th symphony with the name Angel of light ,his Dances with the Winds and another very atmospheric work Cantus Arcticus where he blends music with the sounds of Finnish/Nordic birds sounds.
I sometimes play that track as last piece before going to sleep, very nice way to wind down.
Cheers CC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back