Popular Classical Music
Dec 5, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #6,961 of 8,696
Love listening to this at this time of the year:

schreier1.jpg

schreier2.jpg

https://ca.7digital.com/artist/pete...christmas-carols-2025006?f=20,19,12,16,17,9,2

Dec 5, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #6,962 of 8,696
Hi again,we are maybe too OT for some here, but not as sensitive a subject as Light -Man and I got into recently and had deleted, ,OMG you beat me with -5 degrees centigrade today.
I am just about to go out to my wood shed and get fresh firewwood for the evening .
Been running two fireplaces all day downstairs since early morning here.
Time for a refill.
Then a bit of piano playing and maybe a Mahler symphony via my electrostatic speakers with the fireplace both glowing nicely and warming my cottage on a hill in the woods.
Cheers CC
Wait a minute…
You and LM had posts deleted of his own thread. Too funny.

Dec 5, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #6,963 of 8,696
Wait a minute…
You and LM had posts deleted of his own thread. Too funny.
Not quite so Mr T. He was referring to another gear thread where the rules are way stricter.

However the rules here on music threads are way more liberal, so we don't expect any Mod intervention.

The Mods usually only intervene when someone complains.

Just to clarify, we welcome some banter (talk) here especially, when the vast majority of posts are very much on topic.

Mr, CC and the Maestro are very-very knowledgeable and a bit of fun is always welcome here!

Dec 5, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #6,965 of 8,696
Not quite so Mr T. He was referring to another gear thread where the rules are way stricter.

However the rules here on music threads are way more liberal, so we don't expect any Mod intervention.

Just to clarify, we welcome some banter (talk) here especially, when the vast majority of posts are very much on topic.

Mr, CC and the Maestro are very-very knowledgeable and a bit of fun is always welcome here!
I stand corrected. Thanks LM

Dec 6, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #6,969 of 8,696

I can not remember which thread it was that we both remember the funny parts of.

But I will never forget your last post there with ,"was it Travolta? looking around in bewilderment where did it go?"
Did they delete that one too?

I really like this Popular Classical Music thread you started a lot and visit it almost daily and I also like both your taste in music and your great sense of humour Light -Man !

But today most my attention will be directed at the other Classical Music thread where Quinto posted an interesting video on how to play Beethoven´s Pathetique 2nd movement "Adagio cantabile."
I started learning it late last night and did not get that many bars into it.
But I will continue today, some 70 bars of great early Beethoven music all in all. Basically rarely above p and ending pp .
One of the really tricky things with piano playing is to play soft enough.
Piano is a percussive instrument with hammers hitting strings.
One of the funny thing for me there ,was that Mr Bernsteins piano had a key , an E that tended to get stuck in the treble register.

I have some keys in the middle range where similar problems arise now and then on my old upright piano.
But I had very good friend over for couple of nights who plays the guitar well last week and we checked the tuning of my oldtimer piano with his tuning app and it was ok.
All the best and keep the good music coming.

Cheers CC

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #6,971 of 8,696
Merry Holidays, CC!

A bit early but thanks anyway,
These two are of a still very young Khatia ,she is maturing and shall we say,a bit "weightier" now, but she still knows how to play very soft pp passages with nice flow,
Sometimes even a bit too soft, her YT video of Schubert Impromptu number 1 which I used as a model of how to play it with one exception she plays the first right hand melody there too soft imho,but her Liszt version Schubert Ständchen is impeccable again imho.

But I know we differ a bit in our opinions of her, But that is fine and can lead to some interesting discussions.

PS. Today I have only 2 degrees warmer temp than your Alberta -15C yesterday.
But my coldest ever winter temps were in Yellowstone -33C
I had to get up in the middle of the night to start my motorhome for a while if I wanted it to start at all next morning.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #6,972 of 8,696
A bit early but thanks anyway,

PS. Today I have only 2 degrees warmer temp than your Alberta -15C yesterday.
But my coldest ever winter temps were in Yellowstone -33C
I had to get up in the middle of the night to start my motorhome for a while if I wanted it to start at all next morning.
Cheers CC

Usually each winter, we get two weeks when the highs are around -20 every day. "Arctic front", "ice dome", etc. When the temp rises to -10C after it's done, I've become so acclimated that it's t-shirt and shorts in the house!
cheers
CM

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #6,973 of 8,696
Usually each winter, we get two weeks when the highs are around -20 every day. "Arctic front", "ice dome", etc. When the temp rises to -10C after it's done, I've become so acclimated that it's t-shirt and shorts in the house!
cheers
CM
I remember one year when I was living in Calgary, we didn't see a single flake of snow until literally the second day of spring. From that point on it snowed once a week until the Victoria Day weekend. Went out rollerblading and ended up kneedeep in the icy cold Elbow River

Dec 7, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #6,975 of 8,696
cheers
CM
T-shirt and shorts seriously?

You must have a much better isolated house and better heating than I have. But yes I also remember cold November days in Banff when my girlfriend used to point at Canadians still in shorts whilst she and I were already wearing our downjackets and newly aquired well insulated Canadian winter boots. Still got those and use them regularly.
-15C here today and I am wearing leather boots indoors and again having the two fireplaces going in both downstairs rooms, and I am even beginning to consider firing up the old Husqvarna iron stove in the kitchen too.
Problem is it is currently serving as my wine cellar with a big wooden rack stacked with good wines.

Anyway pedalling with leather boots on, at the piano practicing Beethoven´s Pathetique Adagio Cantabile today again, works fine, and made me think of the old days when a more famous Bernstein than the piano teacher Seymour B, Quinto posted ,shocked the conservative members of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra by wearing his Cowboy boots at rehearsals of Mahler in the Musikverein.

But he sure "took them for a quite a ride" in his very idiosynchratic sometimes imho maybe at a bit "over the top" interpretations of Mahler´s symphonies.

Although some of the most conservative members are rumoured to have whispered among themselves : "Scheissmusik und Bernstein heult ja immer?
For non German readers loosely translated: "really bad music" and "why is he crying so much"

Much as I like most of Berstein´s recordings and the live concerts I attended at the BBC Proms conducted by him , I have to say that I prefer both Karajan´s and Ivan Fisher´s M5 over Lennies DGG VPO recording of the same work .

Karajan´s almost the opposite of Lennie´s and Fisher´s somewhere in between those two.
Karajan´s BPO with extreme attention to inner detail and balance and ironically imho the best played "Jewish Kletzmer" music of all three.

Karajan once said about Mahler´s music that "it has to be played extremely well otherwise it is at serious risk of sounding banale."

And Bernstein´s advice to his players was basically the opposite.
Provides some interesting and enjoyable listening comparisons indeed.

Finally back OT again In the very North of Sweden, I am at least an 8-10 hours drive south of there ,but -42.8 C was recorded a couple of days ago. The coldest ever recorded winter temp there was over -50C.
Cheers CC

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back