Popular Classical Music
Dec 4, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #6,950 of 8,708
Last night's Friday Lyric Concert from the NCH Dublin with Paul Herriott. (Dec 3 2021)

Irene Buckley Awakening
Lalo Symphonie Espagnole with Ellinor D'Melon
INTERVAL
Stravinsky The Firebird (1945 version)
Jaime Martin (conductor) & Ellinor D'Melon (violin)
RTE National Symphony Orchestra

View programme notes: here

Intro starts at 4' 10''

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #6,951 of 8,708
Elīna Garanča has got to be one of the all-time greats and in my view, quite a few notches above the likes of Anna Netrebko.

Elīna Garanča & Christian Thielemann – Mahler: V. Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen (translates: I got lost in the world) [Rückert-Lieder]

However the lyrics are a little on the grim side: :rolling_eyes: ............:o2smile:

I am lost to the world
with which I used to waste so much time,
It has heard nothing from me for so long
that it may very well believe that I am dead!

It is of no consequence to me
Whether it thinks me dead;
I cannot deny it,
for I really am dead to the world.

I am dead to the world’s tumult,
And I rest in a quiet realm!
I live alone in my heaven,
In my love and in my song!

Artists and audiences alike felt a deep sense of loss when the pandemic put a sudden end to live performances last year. The ability to enjoy digital concerts online was some consolation, but as nothing can quite match the magic of direct contact between performer and audience, the few live concerts that were able to go ahead during this period were particularly meaningful. 'Live from Salzburg' documents two such remarkable events, featuring mezzo-soprano Elīna Garanča’s appearances at the Salzburg Festival in the summers of 2020 and 2021 with the Wiener Philharmoniker and Christian Thielemann. These are concerts of historic significance, in part because they defied the crisis facing live performance worldwide, but first and foremost because they provided music-making of such exceptional intensity. Orchestral songs were again at the heart of the programme, this time Mahler’s Rückert-Lieder. These five songs do not, however, constitute a self-contained cycle but are individual pieces that Mahler wrote at different times. Their only link is that all five poems were written by the same poet, whose sensitive verse sets their basic tone. Mahler originally set all five poems for solo voice and piano, opining that they were “chamber-like in character”, and there is no doubt that the Rückert-Lieder are heartfelt, largely intimate character-pieces that privilege personal emotion. This aspect finds particularly impressive expression in the heartfelt love song “Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen”, whose floating melodic line and rapt beauty cast their spell on the listener, while creating a somnambulistic atmosphere. Elīna Garanča & Christian Thielemann – Mahler: V.Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen [Rückert-Lieder] Listen to 'Live from Salzburg': https://dgt.link/ElinaSalzburg Subscribe here for more classical video clips – The Best Of Classical Music: http://bit.ly/Subscribe-DG Discover full concert performances on DG Premium - registration and basic library are free: https://www.dg-premium.com Get your front row ticket here for exclusive streams and world premieres with leading artists: https://www.dg-stage.com

Dec 5, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #6,953 of 8,708
Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #6,954 of 8,708
Elīna Garanča has got to be one of the all-time greats and in my view, quite a few notches above the likes of Anna Netrebko.

Elīna Garanča & Christian Thielemann – Mahler: V. Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen (translates: I got lost in the world) [Rückert-Lieder]

However the lyrics are a little on the grim side: :rolling_eyes: ............:o2smile:

I am lost to the world
with which I used to waste so much time,
It has heard nothing from me for so long
that it may very well believe that I am dead!

It is of no consequence to me
Whether it thinks me dead;
I cannot deny it,
for I really am dead to the world.

I am dead to the world’s tumult,
And I rest in a quiet realm!
I live alone in my heaven,
In my love and in my song!

Artists and audiences alike felt a deep sense of loss when the pandemic put a sudden end to live performances last year. The ability to enjoy digital concerts online was some consolation, but as nothing can quite match the magic of direct contact between performer and audience, the few live concerts that were able to go ahead during this period were particularly meaningful. 'Live from Salzburg' documents two such remarkable events, featuring mezzo-soprano Elīna Garanča’s appearances at the Salzburg Festival in the summers of 2020 and 2021 with the Wiener Philharmoniker and Christian Thielemann. These are concerts of historic significance, in part because they defied the crisis facing live performance worldwide, but first and foremost because they provided music-making of such exceptional intensity. Orchestral songs were again at the heart of the programme, this time Mahler’s Rückert-Lieder. These five songs do not, however, constitute a self-contained cycle but are individual pieces that Mahler wrote at different times. Their only link is that all five poems were written by the same poet, whose sensitive verse sets their basic tone. Mahler originally set all five poems for solo voice and piano, opining that they were “chamber-like in character”, and there is no doubt that the Rückert-Lieder are heartfelt, largely intimate character-pieces that privilege personal emotion. This aspect finds particularly impressive expression in the heartfelt love song “Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen”, whose floating melodic line and rapt beauty cast their spell on the listener, while creating a somnambulistic atmosphere. Elīna Garanča & Christian Thielemann – Mahler: V.Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen [Rückert-Lieder] Listen to 'Live from Salzburg': https://dgt.link/ElinaSalzburg Subscribe here for more classical video clips – The Best Of Classical Music: http://bit.ly/Subscribe-DG Discover full concert performances on DG Premium - registration and basic library are free: https://www.dg-premium.com Get your front row ticket here for exclusive streams and world premieres with leading artists: https://www.dg-stage.com

One of my absolute favourite Mahler songs,thanks for uploading it Light-Man!

It is together with Das Lied von der Erde imho among some of the most moving and most beautiful music Mahler ever composed.
I play both song cycles very often on LPs with Christa Ludwig and Karajan BPO.
I am not a big fan of Thielemann. I have only seen him live conducting the New York Philharmonic in their hall next to the Met once .
Never in Salzburg.
But this is a release I will see if I can download.
Superb singing from Elina Garanca, in this a bit too short excerpt.

Timeless music for the ages imho,and this song is not as dark as some of the others I actually find :"Ich leb allein in meinem Himmel" a bit comforting.
For the truly darkest of Mahler song cycles I find his Kindertotenlieder spine chilling and very dark indeed.

Composed just before his daughter died it has some of the most grippingly tragic and ominous music in the entire repertoire.
This song is comforting in comparison, but also very beautiful indeed.
Cheers CC

Dec 5, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #6,955 of 8,708
^ Thumbs up on Elina Garanca. She's my fav m-s, period. Very versatile too.
https://elinagaranca.com/

Also a big nod to Petra Lang.

They're both also d-d beautiful. :relieved:
https://www.petralang.com/
Thanks for the links CM, I have only one recording with Petra Lang the Wagner Schlusszenen from Götterdämmerung that I got from my friend Jared Sacks who recorded it for his label Channel Classics.
But so far none with Elina Garanca.
I hope to get the live from Grosses Festspielhaus Salzburg Mahler recording Light -Man posted asap.

I had originally planned to spend maybe January and February 2022 in Austria but with all the bad things going on with Covid and lockdowns there it seems we are back to square one again.
I had to cancel a concert visit this past week here in Sweden.
And things are not exactly looking bright in the near future even here where things opened up a bit recently.
Well, well, I at least managed to visit 4 concerts in 6 weeks this fall but now it is back to : "Ich leb allein in meinem Himmel" again.
Cheers CC

Dec 5, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #6,956 of 8,708
Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #6,957 of 8,708
Garanca in Salzburg:
https://www.prostudiomasters.com/search?cs=1&q=garanca#quickview/album/112839

More Garanca:
https://ca.7digital.com/search/release?q=garanca&f=20,19,12,16,17,9,2

Petra Lang singing in Mahler's #2 and 3 with Chailly/Cgbw was pretty fine (although Chailly is not my choice for Mahler symphs).

Stay safe Christer/LM!
Oops mea culpa, thanks for the reminder , I forgot Mahler 3 on Decca, but yes I have that one too.
I haven´t played it for quite a while, but it is one of my fav recordings of M3 and one of the few recordings Decca released as SACD.
Very good recording and indeed superb singing by Petra Lang there as well.
But M3 is not really my fav Mahler symphony as such.
The concert I had to cancel last week would have been M4 which I like better.
Mahler´s symphonic masterpiece imho is his 9th.

How is winter in Canada?
Where I live here in Sweden, it has not been as cold in 40 years as now!

I have had a stunningly beautiful winter week with Xmas feelings already and if not the die steilen Hängen of Austria I at least hope to go downhill skiing around Xmas, although I would much rather have been in say Sölden where Mikaela Schiffrin won the first race of this Alpine season.
I have beeen skiing that very run in Sölden where she won, many times,mainly in Summer, but I haven´t been to Lake Louise for almost 15 years .

Stay safe you as well, my friend
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #6,958 of 8,708
Hey Christer,
I'm well here, it's cold (-15C today's high) but clear skies, snow on the ground (Alberta). We like to say here, "it's a dry cold.."! Not as humid/damp as out east. But even the slightest breeze can do a nasty windchill.
Mahler's 4th is indeed a fine symphony, not as long as the 3rd. In fact, what I usually do nowadays is just selectively listen to the Urlicht of #2 and the Sehr Langsam misterioso 4th mvt of #3, both with soprano solos. Incredibly gorgeous pieces, such is the genius of GM.
I haven't been to a local concert since 2019 here (we have a mediocre local orchestra most of the time), but my floor system keeps me satisfied, very transparent without volumetric harshness for most recordings in my library, digital or analogue.
I envy you there in Europe, with so many diff festivals and venues in normal times. But now....a shame this pandemic has closed down most/all of them.
Stay well, eat, listen, and be merry, CC.
CM

Dec 5, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #6,959 of 8,708
Dec 5, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #6,960 of 8,708
Hey Christer,
I'm well here, it's cold (-15C today's high) but clear skies, snow on the ground (Alberta). We like to say here, "it's a dry cold.."! Not as humid/damp as out east. But even the slightest breeze can do a nasty windchill.
Mahler's 4th is indeed a fine symphony, not as long as the 3rd. In fact, what I usually do nowadays is just selectively listen to the Urlicht of #2 and the Sehr Langsam misterioso 4th mvt of #3, both with soprano solos. Incredibly gorgeous pieces, such is the genius of GM.
I haven't been to a local concert since 2019 here (we have a mediocre local orchestra most of the time), but my floor system keeps me satisfied, very transparent without volumetric harshness for most recordings in my library, digital or analogue.
I envy you there in Europe, with so many diff festivals and venues in normal times. But now....a shame this pandemic has closed down most/all of them.
Stay well, eat, listen, and be merry, CC.
CM
Hi again,we are maybe too OT for some here, but not as sensitive a subject as Light -Man and I got into recently and had deleted, ,OMG you beat me with -5 degrees centigrade today.
I am just about to go out to my wood shed and get fresh firewwood for the evening .
Been running two fireplaces all day downstairs since early morning here.
Time for a refill.
Then a bit of piano playing and maybe a Mahler symphony via my electrostatic speakers with the fireplace both glowing nicely and warming my cottage on a hill in the woods.
Cheers CC

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back