Popular Classical Music
Sep 19, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #6,707 of 8,694
Unfortunately I’m not educated enough to discern the differences between piano interpretations, I’m not a classical trained musician. I know what I like (cit) but most of the times I don’t know why.
I usually find piano solo music very challenging (ie: give me a sting quartet any time of the day over piano music) but I really appreciate Vikingur Olafsson, I just enjoy him

Sep 19, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #6,709 of 8,694
I am no expert but this piano playing sounds amazing
Vladimir Horowitz - Klavierabend 1987 Saal, Wiener Musikverein
1:02 Mozart Rondo D-Dur KV 485 8:04 Mozart Sonate B-Dur KV 333 33:53 Schubert Impromptu Ges-Dur op. 90 no. 3 D 899 41:43 Liszt/Schubert Soirees de Vienne Valse-Caprise no. 6 50:27 Schumann Kinderszenen op. 15 1:08:09 Chopin Mazurka h-moll op. 33 no. 4 1:12:57 Chopin Polonaise As-Dur op. 53 1:21:00 Liszt Consolation no. 3 1:25:00 Schubert Moment Musical D 780 no. 3 1:27:19 Moszkowski Etincelles op. 36 no. 6

Sep 19, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #6,710 of 8,694
The Italian word 'scherzo' means 'joke' or 'jest'

In music it is, a vigorous, light, or playful composition, typically comprising a movement in a symphony or sonata.

Chopin: Scherzo No. 2 in B Flat Minor, Op. 31 * Seong-Jin Cho

Sep 19, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #6,711 of 8,694
How are you, CC?
Blomstedt's Beethoven is also pretty good, the recent one with Leipzig in hi-res.
His ancient cycle with Dresden back in the 1970s, was also superb.
Rich, fuller sound than the Leipzig cycle.
cheers
Old Man o' the North
Hi again CM , slight correction regarding the Denon Dresden Blomstedt Bruckner cds 4 and 7 they are from the mid 80s not 70s, mea culpa.
Blomstedt and Beethoven , I have no cds but yesterday I watched and listened to a YT /DW video of Blomstedt rehearsing Beethoven´s 4th with the BRSO, very interesting.

How is life in Canada ? I am also longing for the Canadian Rockies, it has been quite a while since my latest visit there.
September /October where often good months there with my motorhome.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #6,712 of 8,694
Just got this CD, I am more than half way through it but it is an easy recommendation

Vikingur Olafsson - Mozart & Contemporaries

1632048474825.png

Album info here

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #6,713 of 8,694
Unfortunately I’m not educated enough to discern the differences between piano interpretations, I’m not a classical trained musician. I know what I like (cit) but most of the times I don’t know why.
I usually find piano solo music very challenging (ie: give me a sting quartet any time of the day over piano music) but I really appreciate Vikingur Olafsson, I just enjoy him

Don't need to be "educated" in musik. Just go with the heart and ears. Don't listen to the "reviewers" online, either. Many times, their tastes won't match yours. It's cool.

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #6,714 of 8,694
Clara Schumann: Piano Concerto in A Minor, Op. 7 - 2. Romance: Andante non troppo con grazia (which translates: Andante not too gracefully)

Isata Kanneh-Mason · Jonathan Aasgaard · Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra · Holly Mathieson

A lovely nice piece of music from her album with a nice cello section

1632057481548.png

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #6,715 of 8,694
Hi again CM , slight correction regarding the Denon Dresden Blomstedt Bruckner cds 4 and 7 they are from the mid 80s not 70s, mea culpa.
Blomstedt and Beethoven , I have no cds but yesterday I watched and listened to a YT /DW video of Blomstedt rehearsing Beethoven´s 4th with the BRSO, very interesting.

How is life in Canada ? I am also longing for the Canadian Rockies, it has been quite a while since my latest visit there.
September /October where often good months there with my motorhome.
Cheers CC

Hey CC,
No worries on the Blomstedt. Amazing he's still conducting, at his age. But so was Haitink til recently.
Alberta's in bad shape with the 4th wave here. Haven't banned foreign travellers, but if you come, make sure not to get any non-Covid conditions, as it's unlikely you will get a hospital bed for needed treatment. Triage is now enforced at some hospitals. Most of the sick are unvaxxed. The "freedumbers" who protest vax/mask mandates etc. Sad but true.
I always liked Jasper better than Banff -- more peaceful, not as touristy.
Hope to see Norway sometime (been to Stockholm in 2012, nice city but a bit aloof, the locals, not known for joie de vivre imho).
cheers
Pete

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #6,716 of 8,694
Hey CC,
No worries on the Blomstedt. Amazing he's still conducting, at his age. But so was Haitink til recently.
Alberta's in bad shape with the 4th wave here. Haven't banned foreign travellers, but if you come, make sure not to get any non-Covid conditions, as it's unlikely you will get a hospital bed for needed treatment. Triage is now enforced at some hospitals. Most of the sick are unvaxxed. The "freedumbers" who protest vax/mask mandates etc. Sad but true.
I always liked Jasper better than Banff -- more peaceful, not as touristy.
Hope to see Norway sometime (been to Stockholm in 2012, nice city but a bit aloof, the locals, not known for joie de vivre imho).
cheers
Pete
Hi again, once again your observations tally with mine both regarding Banff/Jasper and yes, "Stockholmers" are not ,even here in Sweden, exactly known for their hospitality. Very aloof and even arrogant to the point of often being referred to as" 08s" ie the local phone number code for Stockholm.

But I will go there for concerts later this fall. And I have some nice friends who live there.
No real plans to travel outside of Europe at all yet, but I have got my two PFZ shots and just need the proof of vaxx and a new passport to travel to some European countries again I hope.

PS I am currently trying to keep up with all interesting things posted here daily.
With an emphasis on piano.
But I all too often get stuck with a piece I want to try out like Beethoven´s 3rd PC intro, and today´s Mozart Ave Verum Corpus from Light-Man.
Those two have kept me very busy all day, today.
Beethoven being technically challenging with parallel octave scale runs with a typical Beethoven rhythm mainly.
And Mozart as always,heavenly ,bell-like, beautiful and harmonically rich compared to Beethoven´s a bit more predictable but very dramatic scale runs.
Beethoven is rumoured to have said to a friend something like" So was können wir nie Schaffen" of Mozart´s 24th Piano Concerto. A work heavenly played by Olaf Vikingurson at the BBC Proms in August.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #6,720 of 8,694
Forest bison if I remember correctly?
And no tourists in October.
Close enough to Edmonton for a weekend concert too.
Cheers CC
You might be thinking of Elk Island. Waterton is way down in the SW corner of AB, much closer to Calgary. Prairie grassland right up to the mountains. Go there in the Winter and you don't even have to pay park admission - at least you didn't last time I was there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back