Popular Classical Music
Jul 6, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #6,425 of 8,735
Lately, with the Thummim, Satin Audio Zeus, and DX220 MAX I've been exploring recordings that feature excellent music, and provide bleeding edge dynamics. One such recording is Vanska and the Minnesota Orchestra’s rendition of Mahler’s 10th. Highly recommended.

71E5Ic1407L._SL1200_.jpg

Jul 6, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #6,427 of 8,735
After a long absence from headfi, I'm back again! Listening to this wonderful recording for Christopher Herrick playing Bach. Curiously, most of Herrick's Bach music is not available on Tidal nor Qobuz. Glad I bought the CDs (twice)!

Attachments

• Folder.jpg
    Folder.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 0
Jul 7, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #6,429 of 8,735
Summer time, and the livin' is easy :)

Attachments

• Folder.jpg
    Folder.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 0
Jul 8, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #6,431 of 8,735
Yippee! Today I found Suzuki's complete secular cantatas on Qobuz for $30, which is half the price at Presto and 7digital. In case you are wondering, it's lossless (CD-quality).

Suzuki is my favorite modern interpreter of Bach's vocal works. He reminds me of Karl Richter's spirituality, joy and pathos without ever descending into bathos. Suzuki is HIP. That's not a bad thing! In his case, it allows the music to bloom, if that makes any sense. Here's another silly metaphor: I find listening to Suzuki like eating blueberries one at a time, savoring each!

I know what I'll be listening for the next few days!

Attachments

• Suzuki Secular Cantatas.jpg
    Suzuki Secular Cantatas.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
Jul 9, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #6,435 of 8,735
Just curious: how demanding is classical music equipment-wise? I have a pair of R70x's but I always think that you can't get the full baroque/classical/romantic until you get $1000+ headphones like the focal clears or eutopias
I like Audio Technica! But I've never tried yours. In my opinion, classical music is not particularly demanding on hardware. The things I tend to focus on are: reproduction of voices, speed and "airiness," which to me means a sense of the instruments (or even the strings of an instrument) inhabiting their own spaces. There are plenty of sub-$1000 systems (hps and dac/amp) that can deliver that. Unfortunately, it's been a while since I've tested these things. So I can't give you specific recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back