Popular Classical Music
Apr 6, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #2,709 of 8,710
Last night's Friday concert from the NCH Dublin (video will be deleted in 6 days)

RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra
Thomas Kemp conductor (replacing Jean Deroyer)
Fidelio Trio

Sibelius Finlandia / 8’
Beethoven Triple Concerto for Violin, Cello & Piano / 33’
Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 7, ‘The Symphony of Life’ /

Three giants of the 19th century, three masterpieces and the Fidelio Trio. Perhaps three really is the perfect number after all!

Rooted in Finnish soil, Sibelius’s Finlandia is a patriotic and passionate tribute to a country breaking free from Russian occupation, its famous middle section (borrowed for the hauntingly beautiful hymn Be still, my soul) a stirring, unofficial national anthem.

The ‘compelling and electrifying’ (Sunday Tribune) Fidelio Trio join the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra for Beethoven’s remarkable Triple Concerto – a one-of-a-kind from the German genius. And proof that three into one does go as violin, cello and piano join the orchestra in a rich, beautifully balanced dialogue between equals.

‘Composed simply for the sake of composing’, Tchaikovsky’s Seventh Symphony was abandoned before it was finished (composers, eh?) and later reconstructed by a.n.other. A patchwork quilt of borrowed themes, it’s Tchaikovsky without the angst: light, effervescent and dance-like. Making the most of what a symphony orchestra can do, it’s not called The Symphony of Life for nothing.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradiowebpage.html#!rii=b16_11019791_8861_05-04-2019_

Apr 7, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #2,711 of 8,710
The music world lost a giant in Sam Pilafian Friday night. I never had the fortune of meeting the man myself, everybody that has all say the same thing. He was a wonderful human being with a never ending passion for music. His recordings with the Empire Brass and solo jazz recordings are what made me pursue music as a career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back