Popular Classical Music
Dec 30, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #2,344 of 8,710
I've been a big fan of classical music my whole life. I've really enjoyed the eye opening experience of hifi on large scale orchestral works specifically. I run HD800 and STAX l300 LTD for the detailed imaging, clarity and soundstage. Here's 3 of my favourite symphonic recordings;

Mravinsky Tchaikovsky 4,5 and 6 are all on this album and sounds phenomenal on master quality through tidal; yt recording doesn't quite do it justice. I appreciate the incredible vigour and accuracy of the strings, and the sheer power of the brass, especially at the two climaxes in 1st mvt, roughly between 9-13 min mark

Shostakovich's 5th. This particular recording is my favourite for many reasons (imo bernstein's tempi in 4th mvt expertly expresses the dichotomous moods the symphony sustains throughout), but I especially enjoy the brutality of the brass throughout. 11:00 and onwards to end of 1st mvt is a life-changing experience

My favourite recording of Mahler 5. For me, Abbado in this recording strikes the perfect balance of grandeur and beauty in the 1st mvt. 4th movement is one of the most beautiful symphonic movements ever written.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #2,347 of 8,710
I’ve been listening using Hugo 2 and Beyerdynamic T1.2 trying the different filter settings.

Rob referenced critical listening of piano notes to try.

Thanks for posting.

I continue to run from here over to Qobuz & snag the albums.
-
Thank you for your comment.
It inspired me, so, i made a new Horowitz video.
Enjoy......:)
-
-
-

Dec 30, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #2,349 of 8,710
The musical magic he is able to create through a piano, using his hands and pedals, is an endless fascination to me.
Such grace and power fully at his command at all times.
His hands, when playing....its like watching a beautiful clock keeping perfect time with 10 fingers.
Its just amazing.
-
-
-

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #2,350 of 8,710
This is Yulia Wang, from her brand new Album : The Berlin Recital
Its a live recording and a very good live recording.
They recorded her so that the Steinway's sound has a lot of body and energy and realism, and a lot of signal is sent to "tape".
Truly, this recording of her playing, is one of the most powerful piano sounds i've ever heard regarding a "classical" solo piano recital release.
Its a
big wonderful music she's making on this Steinway, and the DG engineers were not afraid to let her magical power shine within and throughout this recording.
Sure, there are some glistening sparkling subtle gems played during this recital, but when she lets her extreme technical prowess go.... it is stunning........:)

This video i just created for you is the first track on her new album.
-

Best of 2018 Awards

“The Berlin Recital”, Yuja Wang’s critically acclaimed album released by Deutsche Grammophon, was named one of Gramophone’s 2018 Recordings of the Year.
The album was recently listed as one of Gramophone’s December Editor’s Choices as well."
-
-
-

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #2,352 of 8,710
Purcell - An Evening Hymn upon a Ground - Philippe Jaroussky / L’ARPEGGIATA

arr. Christina Pluhar

Now, now that the sun hath veil’d his light
And bid the world goodnight;
To the soft bed my body I dispose,
But where shall my Soul repose?
Dear, dear God, even in Thy arms,