Popular Classical Music
Mar 2, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #1,171 of 8,720
Mieczysław Weinberg was a Soviet composer of Polish-Jewish origin. From 1939 he lived in the Soviet Union and Russia and lost most of his family in the Holocaust.

This is his cello concerto played by Claes Gunnarsson; Thord Svedland & Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra

Adagio •
7:20 Moderato - Lento •
12:59 Allegro - Cadenza. L'istesso tempo, molto appassionato - Andante - Allegro - Andante •
21:42 Allegro - Adagio - Meno mosso

Mar 3, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #1,173 of 8,720
Listening to this one at the moment............contemplating a life without snowdrifts.............................

Edvard Grieg - Peer Gynt Suite No. 1 Op. 46

0:29 Morning Mood 4:19 The Death of Ase 8:05 Anitra's Dance 11:29 In the Hall of the Mountain King

Marta Kluczyńska - conductor, The Karol Szymanowski School of Music Orchestra in Warsaw, Poland. La Folle Journée de Varsovie recorded at Polish National Opera House in Warsaw, September 27, 2016

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #1,176 of 8,720
Listening to this one at the moment............contemplating a life without snowdrifts.............................

Edvard Grieg - Peer Gynt Suite No. 1 Op. 46

0:29 Morning Mood 4:19 The Death of Ase 8:05 Anitra's Dance 11:29

Recorded in the Hall of the Mountain King, Marta Kluczyńska - conductor, The Karol Szymanowski School of Music Orchestra in Warsaw, Poland. La Folle Journée de Varsovie recorded at Polish National Opera House in Warsaw, September 27, 2016

Very nice to see and hear young musicians being so concentrated and actually quite often looking at the conductor instead of only being glued to the sheet music or their handphones.
There is hope.
But I think you got your facts a bit wrong this time around Lightman?
It was not recorded in "the Hall of the Mountain King".That is the what last section of the Suite played is called right?
Cheers Christer very far from snowdrifts but close to live music in Singapore.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #1,179 of 8,720
This is a one movement symphonic poem by Dvorak. There are some nice background notes here: https://muswrite.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/dvorak-water-goblin-opus-107.html

The Water Goblin - Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Nikolaus Harnoncourt

0:11 Allegro vivace : The water goblin (flutes) alone.
2:02 Andante sostenuto : The girl (clarinet) and her mother (violins), who tells the girl of a bad dream and warns her not to go near the lake.
5:23 Allegro vivo : The girl ignores the warning (violins and oboes) and falls into the lake, and into the hands of the watergoblin.
7:07 Andante mesto come prima : The misery of the underwater world.
9:40 Un poco più lento e molto tranquillo : the girl sings a lullaby for her baby (flute and oboe).
11:20 Andante : The water goblin tells her to stop singing in a fury and they have a quarrel, which ends that the girl is permitted to go visit her mother, but has to be back before the bells of the vespers.
14:26 Lento assai : The girl goes home to her mother (cellos and trombones), where they have a sad reunion.
16:45 Allegro vivace : The storm on the lake, the church bells are heard after which knocking on the door and eventually a loud bang when the goblin throws the dead child against the door.
19:07 Andante sostenuto : croaking frogs (piccolo and flutes), the mother's moaning about that Friday, which was an unlucky day (cor anglais and bass clarinet), the mother's terrible distress (oboes, cellos and basses). The water goblin's mysterious disappearance into the depth of the lake.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #1,183 of 8,720
Head1, nice relaxing stuff, I can't remember for sure if I have heard it before but some of the best stuff just jumps out at you and sounds so familiar (or right) first time.

And another nice version of Milonga by Tatyana Ryzhkova (she also does a bit of signing).

Oops!

Mar 6, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #1,185 of 8,720
Head1, nice relaxing stuff, I can't remember for sure if I have heard it before but some of the best stuff just jumps out at you and sounds so familiar (or right) first time.

Thanks, I know the feeling, the best music makes an impression in some way. Usually it's immediate or there's something that draws you in.

Which guitar sounds better 1963 Ramirez 1A (spruce) or 1972 Ramirez 1A (cedar)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back