Popular Classical Music
Nov 13, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #6,901 of 8,714
A concert recorded Friday November 5th 2021.
John Wilson returns to conduct the RTE National Symphony Orchestra in a concert from the National Concert hall, Dublin.

Britten: Four Sea Interludes from Peter Grimes
Jonathan Dove: Stargazer with Peter Moore
Elgar: Enigma Variations

John Wilson (conductor)
Peter Moore (trombone)
RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra

Programme notes here

Intro starts at 2'

Nov 13, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #6,902 of 8,714
MOSCOW CONSERVATORY Great Musical Masterpieces. Rachmaninoff Gala November 11, 2021, 19:00 | Live broadcast | GREAT HALL
PROGRAM

S. Rachmaninoff Études-Tableaux, Op. 33 No. 2 in C major No. 1 in F minor
S. Rachmaninoff "Vocalise", Op. 34 No. 14
S. Rachmaninoff Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Op. 43 Part II
S. Rachmaninoff Concerto No. 2 for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 18 |
Alexander MALOFEEV (piano)
State Symphony Orchestra "Novaya Rossiya"
Conductor – Denis VLASENKO

Nov 14, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #6,903 of 8,714
Hi Luis, glad to hear that you and your wife are really enjoying those live concerts again. It is always interesting to hear the concert programmes that you have gone to.

Our Pokemonn @Pokemonn seems to have gone AWOL for a while now. Hope that you are keeping well Sir?

A Night In At The Theatre – Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Symphonic Suites

A special night in at The Theatre Royal, Drury Lane. Experience a full performance of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s brand new album ‘Symphonic Suites’, featuring Evita, Sunset Boulevard and The Phantom Of The Opera.

Nov 14, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #6,907 of 8,714
Thank you Mr Light-Man, lots of beautiful melodies there!
Here an interesting documentary with some beautiful musical fragments

Sir Simon Rattle at the BBC [Documentary/Compilation]​

Nice documentary and I have to say I do not often claim to be able to identify myself with the soloist but at around 5,20 and on, that could very well have been ME scratching my head there.
I rarely play things from the wrong work but I tend to get lost more often than not without sheet music.
I have seen and watched Rattle live many times since the 90s including Mahler at the Proms..

My own first live symphonic concert experience in 2 years, last week was an "eargasmic" experience seeing and hearing Yeol Eum Son play Rachmaninov´s 2nd piano Concerto.
The concert was recorded by Swedish Radio but has not been broadcast yet.

But here she is earlier this year in the same work: Yeol-Eum Son (손열음) Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 2 France 20-3-2021 - YouTube

Imho a pianist on similar technical level as Yuja Wang.
Absolutely stunning musician.

But still, after more than a week I can not play the main theme of Rachs 2nd first movement at full speed with all the notes actually written.
I have to skip some of all those Gs as Rubenstein recommended in his Autoboigraphy:

"Just use a lot of pedal and nobody will notice!"

I sat close enough to Yeol-Eum Son to see that she did NOT skip any of those Gs or miss any other notes throughout the entire work!
And her encore whatever it was, sounded like she was simply improvising, was simply the most perfect and fluid scale runs I have seen and EVER heard live.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #6,908 of 8,714
Nice documentary and I have to say I do not often claim to be able to identify myself with the soloist but at around 5,20 and on, that could very well have been ME scratching my head there.
I rarely play things from the wrong work but I tend to get lost more often than not without sheet music.
I have seen and watched Rattle live many times since the 90s including Mahler at the Proms..

My own first live symphonic concert experience in 2 years, last week was an "eargasmic" experience seeing and hearing Yeol Eum Son play Rachmaninov´s 2nd piano Concerto.
The concert was recorded by Swedish Radio but has not been broadcast yet.

But here she is earlier this year in the same work: Yeol-Eum Son (손열음) Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 2 France 20-3-2021 - YouTube

Imho a pianist on similar technical level as Yuja Wang.
Absolutely stunning musician.

But still, after more than a week I can not play the main theme of Rachs 2nd first movement at full speed with all the notes actually written.
I have to skip some of all those Gs as Rubenstein recommended in his Autoboigraphy:

"Just use a lot of pedal and nobody will notice!"

I sat close enough to Yeol-Eum Son to see that she did NOT skip any of those Gs or miss any other notes throughout the entire work!
And her encore whatever it was, sounded like she was simply improvising, was simply the most perfect and fluid scale runs I have seen and EVER heard live.
Cheers CC
Rachmaninov‘s 2nd piano concerto is one of my favorites. I was going to see it in a couple of weeks with the Saint Petersburg Philarmonic with Temirkanov conducting and Behzod Abduraimov piano. Unfortunately due to the Covid-1 situation in Russia they have posponed until May. Anyway I completely agree that the experience can be eargasmic with a great concert!

Nov 15, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #6,909 of 8,714
Sir Roger Norrington is performing his last concert next Thursday at 87 since he is retiring after a very long career..
Here with introduction

Schumann Symphony No. 1 | Sir Roger Norrington conducts The Tapiola Sinfonietta​

Tapiola Sinfonietta conducted by Sir Roger Norrington.
Robert Schumann: Symphony No. 1"Spring Symphony" in B flat major I. Andante un poco maestoso - Allegro molto vivace 00:10 II. Larghetto 11:52 III. Scherzo: Molto vivace 16:49 IV. Allegro animato e grazioso 23:08

Recorded live at the Espoo Cultural Centre, Finland, 12 September 2019.

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #6,910 of 8,714
Sir Roger Norrington is performing his last concert next Thursday at 87 since he is retiring after a very long career..
Here with introduction

Schumann Symphony No. 1 | Sir Roger Norrington conducts The Tapiola Sinfonietta​

Tapiola Sinfonietta conducted by Sir Roger Norrington.
Robert Schumann: Symphony No. 1"Spring Symphony" in B flat major I. Andante un poco maestoso - Allegro molto vivace 00:10 II. Larghetto 11:52 III. Scherzo: Molto vivace 16:49 IV. Allegro animato e grazioso 23:08

Recorded live at the Espoo Cultural Centre, Finland, 12 September 2019.

Very nice to hear.

Schumann´s 1st is a work I used to play on my stereo after returning from my winters in Asia or Central America.

"Im Tale zieht der Frühling ein".

But I made an exception to that rule hearing this just at the beginning of Winter with little hope of getting away even this Winter.

But luckily I have already in the last four weeks been to no less than 4 live concerts.

This past weekend again a Church concert with the Swedish eqvivalent to "Wiener Sängerknaben" singing both Bach ,Mendelsohn and Britten in a big church with a mighty organ accompaning them.
But I have now had to "preach" in no less than three different churches in four weeks, alas.

At best there are a handful of people with face-masks, but many loud coughers, without one here in Sweden.
I envy you your closeness to a big orchestra I have to travel an hour or more by car each way for that.

And during my visits to Madrid mainly in summer off season, I only made it to the Prado and other night life experiences, but no concerts.
Cheers CC

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #6,911 of 8,714
Rachmaninov‘s 2nd piano concerto is one of my favorites. I was going to see it in a couple of weeks with the Saint Petersburg Philarmonic with Temirkanov conducting and Behzod Abduraimov piano. Unfortunately due to the Covid-1 situation in Russia they have posponed until May. Anyway I completely agree that the experience can be eargasmic with a great concert!
Hmm, so Temirkanov is still conducting?
Haven´t heard much about him in recent years.
I thought he had retired like Roger Norrington.
Never heard Behzod Abduraimov play.
But I forgot to mention that in the "eargasmic" Rach /Stravinsky concert I went to last week not only was the soloist female, but also the conductor:Joana Carniero.

What a charismatic team.

I missed taking the best conductor /soloist photos I could ever have imagined when she froze in perfect conductor pose and Yeol-Eum Son held her hands in the air after the last chord of the Rach.
My big heavy pro cameras are now dead, and I do not even own a smartphone.
I was there as a paying concertgoer.
But I am seriously thinking of getting a Samsung 40mpx Smartphone and start working as a concert photographer again. That missed opportunity still haunts me .
And some of my old concert and recording sessions shots still sell online now and then.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #6,912 of 8,714
Hmm, so Temirkanov is still conducting?
Haven´t heard much about him in recent years.
I thought he had retired like Roger Norrington.
Never heard Behzod Abduraimov play.
But I forgot to mention that in the "eargasmic" Rach /Stravinsky concert I went to last week not only was the soloist female, but also the conductor:Joana Carniero.

What a charismatic team.

I missed taking the best conductor /soloist photos I could ever have imagined when she froze in perfect conductor pose and Yeol-Eum Son held her hands in the air at the last chord of the Rach.
My big heavy pro cameras are now dead, and I do not even own a smartphone.
I was there as a paying concertgoer.
But I am seriously thinking of getting a Samsung 40mpx Smartphone and start working as a concert photographer again.
Some of my old concert and recording sessions shots still sell online now and then.
Cheers CC
I saw Temirkanov in Madrid just before the plague started the 21st January 2020! It was the same pianist Behzod Abduraimov that time, playing Beethoven´s first. It thought he was very good but not extraordinary! The orquestra was extraordinary playing Chaikovski´s 4th though in the second half of that concert.
Glad you can dig concerts again! Here masks are compulsory but for some coughing seems to be compulsory as well!
You should go ahead and take pictures again!
If you come to Madrid in summer good luck finding concerts! The season finishes end of June, begining of July and there is almost nothing until mid September. There are some nice summer festivals in Spain though. The one in Santander is really good. I have never been but they always have pretty good concerts.

Nov 16, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #6,913 of 8,714

Concertgebouworkest & Klaus Mäkelä | Schostakowitsch & Tschaikowsky | Elbphilharmonie LIVE​

Video on Demand vom 13.11.2021, verfügbar bis 13.2.2022 . // BESETZUNG Concertgebouworkest Dirigent: Klaus Mäkelä // PROGRAMM Dmitri Schostakowitsch Sinfonie Nr. 6 h-Moll op. 54 - Pause - Piotr I. Tschaikowsky Sinfonie Nr. 6 h-Moll op. 74 »Pathétique«

Nov 17, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #6,914 of 8,714

Dvořák In der Natur // London Symphony Orchestra & Daniel Harding​

Daniel Harding conducts Dvořák In der Natur (In Nature's Realm), recorded at the Barbican, London on 31 October 2021. 0:00 Introduction by Clare Duckworth 1:00 Introduction by Daniel Harding 2:09 Dvořák In der Natur Daniel Harding: conductor London Symphony Orchestra

Nov 18, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #6,915 of 8,714
Piano:Nelson Freire Conductor:Kazuyoshi Akiyama

Brahms:piano Concerto No.2 in B-flat major - 4th mov. Paderewski:Nocturne Op.16-4 Grieg:Wedding Day at Troldhaugen - Lyric Piece Op.65-6 2018
An An Evening of Peace Concert August 5th 2018 HIroshima Bunkagakuen HBG Hall

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back