Popular Classical Music
Aug 20, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #6,586 of 8,756
Beautiful arias by Mozart, Verdi, Rossini and other famous composers! In May 2016, international stars like Roberto de Biasio, Ingeborg Gillebo, Robin Johannsen and Simone Kermes performed these famous Arias at the 5th opera gala in Bonn. The fundraising event was organised by the German AIDS Foundation and the proceeds went to projects in Germany and Mozambique.

Accompanied by the Beethoven Orchestra Bonn, conducted by Stefan Blunier.

Aug 20, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #6,587 of 8,756
Berlioz Symphonie fantastique Op. 14
Orchestre de Paris Herbert von Karajan 25 June 1970 Paris
0:00 I. "Rêveries-Passions“ 14:19 II. "Un bal“ 20:33 III. "Scène aux champs“ 37:19 IV. "Marche au supplice“ 42:03 V. "Songe d'une nuit du sabbat"

Wow!
But first let me get the pretty bad SQ and visual video quality out of the way, and focus on what IMHO makes this one of the best classical music videos I have seen in a long while.
Karajan once said that he sometimes felt he had been born 40 years too early.

But ,Eveything ,EVERY camera cut and angle chosen makes absolute musical sense, which is a lot more than you can say of some recent videos from some otherwise excellent artists and conductors.

Karajan´s conducting exemplifies very clearly to me why a reviewer once said: "It is as if Karajan pulls the music out of the players, magical".

And to see the actual fingering on winds and string instruments played is a VERY welcome change from today´s super close up´s of puffed up cheeks, red faced musicians and a relief!

Today DGG puts Vikingur Olafson in an ugly derilict building and films the dull grey concrete walls in 4K hi res video! while he plays a beautiful piece by Chimarosa !!!

Cheers CC

Aug 21, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #6,589 of 8,756
Ludwig van Beethoven Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 With the final chorus based on Friedrich Schiller’s Ode "An die Freude" Le Concert des Nations Jordi Savall, conductor VOX BONA Chamber choir of Kreuzkirche Bonn Karin Freist-Wissing, production Sara Gouzy, soprano Laila Salome Fischer, mezzo soprano Martin Platz, tenor Manuel Walser, baritone

Aug 22, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #6,590 of 8,756
BTW, thanks again to Mr Luis for all your regular posts, which is a big help to keep this thread trundling along! :)

Schumann - Cello Concerto & Fantasiestücke Op.73 (ref.rec.: Jacqueline Du Pré, D.Barenboim, Gerald Moore)

00:00 Schumann Cello Concerto in A minor Op.129
25:16 Fantasiestücke Op.73 (Piano: Gerald Moore) Nicknamed "La Ginette Neveu du violoncelle" (the Ginette Neveu of the Cello) by Paul Tortelier.

Jacqueline Du Pré has had a dazzling career, destroyed by illness at only 27 years of age. Her husband Daniel Barenboim says of her: "She was a unique musician (...), she wasn't exactly familiar with what to do with music in a musicological or scientific way, but she had an astonishing instinct and speed of mind that was mind-boggling. She was seeing a piece for the first time and she was able not only to play the notes but also to get to the essential".

1629625472671.png

Aug 22, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #6,591 of 8,756
BTW, thanks again to Mr Luis for all your regular posts, which is a big help to keep this thread trundling along! :)
Thank you Mr Light -Man for creating and keeping this thread alive! For me at least it is a source of new discoveries and also recall of long forgotten pieces. Take care!
here a piece with Spanish name but Russian to the core

Rimski-Korsakow: Capriccio Espagnol mit Alan Gilbert | NDR Elbphilharmonie Orchester

Aug 25, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #6,598 of 8,756

Richard Strauss - Ein Heldenleben "A Hero's Life", Op. 40 (Daniel Harding, Orchestre de Paris)

0:00 Introduction to the programme Richard Strauss - Ein Heldenleben "A Hero's Life", Op. 40 1:05 I. Der Held (The Hero) 5:19 II. Des Helden Widersacher (The Hero's Adversaries) 8:42 III. Des Helden Gefährtin (The Hero's Companion) 21:39 IV. Des Helden Walstatt (The Hero at Battle) 31:12 V. Des Helden Friedenswerke (The Hero's Works of Peace) 36:27 VI. Des Helden Weltflucht und Vollendung (The Hero's Retirement from this World and Completion)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back