Aug 21, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #4,771 of 8,704
Dvorak - Cello Concerto in A major
(B.10; 1865), autograph version

Jiri Barta , Violoncello
Jan Cech , Piano

1. Andante 0:00
2. Andante cantabile 24:32
3. Allegro risoluto 34:17

This is probably my favourite of all. Many years ago, I was in my late teens, my mother took me to see Dvorak‘s cello concerto at the Teatro Real in Madrid with Mstislav Rostropóvich. I do not remember the orchestra and conductor but it was an absolutely unforgettable experience. For me it was one of the best concerts in my life.

here one of the various available versions with Rostropóvich

Dvorak Cello Concerto
London Philarmonic
Carlo Maria Giulini

Aug 21, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #4,773 of 8,704
Weinberg - Symphony No. 21, Op. 152 "Kaddish"

Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra
Jacek Kaspszyk - conductor
Magdalena Molendowska - soprano

A single movement symphony split into six sections which was dedicated to the victims of the Warsaw Ghetto, "Kaddish" refers to the Jewish prayer for the dead. The opening Largo is particularly harrowing, I could really feel the sadness and anguish in the piece with the solo violin possibly taking the role of the narrator telling a story. The more astute listeners may notice that at 16:38 the pianist plays a fragment from Chopin's Ballade No.1

Aug 22, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #4,777 of 8,704
Copland: Quiet City, suite for English horn, trumpet, and strings

The Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France, conducted by Mikko Franck, perform Copland's Quiet City, suite for English horn, trumpet, and strings with Alexandre Baty and Stéphane Suchanek. Concert recorded live on 5 October 2018 at the Grande salle Pierre Boulez of the Philharmonie de Paris

Aug 24, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #4,785 of 8,704
Hymn of the Cherubim (Excerpt) · The USSR Ministry of Culture Chamber Choir - Sacred Treasures: Choral Masterworks from Russia. Composer: Peter Tchaikovsky

Users who are viewing this thread

Back