Popular Classical Music
May 2, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #2,806 of 8,756
Martin Johnson is the lead cellist for the Irish National Symphony Orchestra (NSO)

I had a quick look at what he had on Youtube and picked two short videos

They are more on the contemporary side but are perhaps not manic and derailed enough to be called true contemporary! :)

and some more of his Youtube stuff is here, composed by Frank Corcoran

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #2,809 of 8,756
Stravinsky / Dushkin - Divertimento

Based on music from his ballet Le Baiser de la fée ( The fairy's kiss). This is in turn is based on Hans Christian Andersen's short story Isjomfruen (English: The Ice-Maiden), the work is an homage to Tchaikovsky.

Solenne Paidassi, Violin
Caroline Esposito, Piano

May 4, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #2,811 of 8,756
On Wednesday night there was a concert at the NCH Dublin celebrating the 20th birthday of the National radio station for classical music. (I don't know how long the video link will work)

Edit: It is a pity that the sound quality is not the best and there seems to be some audio interference. I was at the concert and the performance was very good and a highlight was the William Tell Overture. At the start of the overture you could distinctly hear the dialogue between rows of cellos which is completely missing from the recording

RTÉ lyric fm marks its 20th birthday in style with a powerhouse array of Irish talent in a glittering gala concert hosted by Aedín Gormley and Paul Herriott, celebrating what could well be the station's motto: the joy of music. RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra / RTÉ Philharmonic Choir conductor Gavin Maloney Anne-Marie O’Farrell, Irish harp / Gavan Ring, baritone & Emma Nash, soprano Conductor Gavin Maloney Join with us as we celebrate our 20th birthday with a gala concert featuring the music of Tchaikovsky, Saint-Saens, Rossini, John Williams, André Previn, Strauss and Archibald Potter.

The tone of the concert – celebrating the joy of music – will be set by premiere of three new works by Irish composers who were awarded the prize in an open competition to write new music marking the 20th birthday of RTÉ lyric fm. Tyrone-born and Maynooth-based composer Ryan Molloy has written Gealán, a concerto for Irish harp and orchestra. Gealán's radiant and rich sound-world explores both the lyrical nature of the harp and its nimble energy, borrowing from syncopated reel rhythms to create a virtuosic work for harp that allows its soloist Anne-Marie O’Farrell to showcase her talents. Kate Neville’s setting of the Carrick-on-Suir poet Michael Coady’s poem Though there are torturers (...there is music) will be performed by the massed singers of the RTÉ Philharmonic Choir while Elliot Murphy’s new composition for the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra Cello Octet borrows from the Irish slow air tradition to create a captivating new work.

MUSIC 1. Rossini: William Tell Overture 2. Katie Neville Though There Are Torturers 3. Tchaikovsky Kuda, kuda vï udalilis from Eugene Onegin (Gavan Ring, tenor) 4. Andre Previn I want magic from A Streetcar Named Desire (Emma Nash soprano) 5. Verdi Parigi O Cara from La Traviata 6. Ryan Molloy Concerto for Irish Harp and Orchestra (soloist Anne-Marie O’Farrell) 7. Elliot Murphy Cello Octet 8. Strauss: By the Beautiful Blue Danube 9. John Williams: Fiddler on the Roof Suite 10. Potter Fantasy for Clarinet and Orchestra (soloist John Finucane) 11. Saint-Saens: Danse Bacchanle

Audio link https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradiowebpage.html#!rii=b16_11031987_8861_01-05-2019_

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #2,813 of 8,756
John Williams - Horn Solo Suite (A Tribute)

This is a personal audio/video homage to John Williams' lovely and haunting French Horn solos as heard in several of his film scores. A special mention to the great musicians who played in the scores heard in these selections: James Thatcher (JFK, Always, Sleepers, Rosewood), David Cripps (Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Superman), Gus Sebring (Schindler's List), Daniel Gingrich (Lincoln).

May 5, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #2,819 of 8,756
I prefer that blond pianist version. :D

Thanks again Pokemonn.......... as that is the second time that we recently narrowly avoided an international incident!

Next time we might have to do a virtual arm wrestle to settle any disagreement.................... :deadhorse:

Another nice version of this piece that I posted recently

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back