Popular Classical Music
Jan 10, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #2,394 of 8,740
A selection of russian works for cello and piano.

Alexander Russakovsky (cello), Amber Shay Nicholson (piano)

Rachmaninov

00:00:00 Cello Sonata in G Minor, Op. 19: I. Lento – Allegro moderato;
00:12:29 Cello Sonata in G Minor, Op. 19: II. Allegro scherzando;
00:19:22 Cello Sonata in G Minor, Op. 19: III. Andante;
00:25:07 Cello Sonata in G Minor, Op. 19: IV. Allegro mosso

Tchaikovsky

00:36:16 Sleeping Beauty, Op. 66, Act 2: No. 15, Pas d’action. Andante cantabile (Arr .Albert Kleineke)

Glazunov

00:40:40 Pieces for Cello and Orchestra, Op.20: II. Serenade Espagnole

Prokofiev

00:43:30 Cello Sonata in C Major, Op. 119: I. Andante grave;
00:55:12 Cello Sonata in C Major, Op. 119: II. Moderato;
01:00:11 Cello Sonata in C Major, Op. 119: III. Allegro ma non troppo

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #2,397 of 8,740
Last night's Friday concert from the NCH Dublin (as usual the video will be deleted next Thursday, i.e. in 6 days)

RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra
Nathalie Stutzmann conductor
Christian Ihle Hadland piano

Haydn Symphony No. 94, ‘Surprise’ / 23’
Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 1 / 36’
Mendelssohn Symphony No. 4, ‘Italian’ / 27’

Promotional spiel:
Boo! Enjoy surprises? Feel a bit short-changed by how few jokes there are in classical music? Then you’ve got a treat in store with Haydn’s 94th Symphony – and no, the surprise isn’t that he wrote so many; a dozen more followed this one! And don’t ask: the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra is not going to spoil the surprise for you (although you might want to pay particular attention to the second movement). Fizzing with colour and vitality, it’s a work of meringue-liked delicacy – crunchy on the outside, soft and gooey inside – and every bit as tasty.

Even a notorious grouch like Beethoven liked to laugh. No, really. His First Piano Concerto is a boisterous affair altogether, the orchestra as busy as bees happily making honey until the piano, intent on mischief, makes its presence felt. A delightful chase between the two around the sunniest of gardens follows. Or at least that’s what it sounds like to us. Light, frothy and fun: prepare to be charmed out of your seats. Young Norwegian Christian Ihle Hadland takes the solo seat and he is ‘as good as it gets’ (The Independent).

Ever been to another country and found yourself falling in love with it? You’re not alone. Mendelssohn was so smitten by Italy (what’s not to like?) that he wrote a symphony in exuberant tribute. Bask in Mediterranean warmth, a kaleidoscope of luxurious colours, moments of high drama (terribly passionate the Italians) and indulge yourself in the sheer beauty and brio of it all. Prego!

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradiowebpage.html#!rii=b16_10983289_8861_11-01-2019_

Jan 12, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #2,399 of 8,740
Anyone use IEMs for classical?
Recommendations?

one of the best IEMs I have tried so far is Taiwan's Dunu TItan 1 for me. it has very close/flat FR curve to the Harman target curve for the ideal loudspeaker(not for IEM. its mean not so bassy as IEM)
but I have limited experiences on IEMs so far. so YMMV. it sounds very good with Mojo + Titan 1 combo for me.
one of the best amp for IEMs is Massdrop THX AAA-789. This amp has the ultla lowest hiss noise currently available on the market.

Jan 12, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #2,400 of 8,740
I’ve loved my Beyerdynamic T8 (1st Gen)

I went to change the cable and heard a “crunch”, looked down & saw I pushed into the wrong hole. (Eyesight).

My wife & I have the same IEMs & have loved them.

I’m overdosing on Qobuz classical and am open to hearing opinions...especially IEMs with orchestrational music.

This morning (KEF LS50W) is

The 2018 New Years Eve concert conducted by Christian Thielemann.

It’s so good that I’ve ordered his book from Amazon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back