Popular Classical Music
Oct 3, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #1,921 of 8,756
Last nights "Friday" concert from the National Concert Hall, Dublin.

Note
: that this video will likely only last until next Friday morning before being deleted.

Bach-Stokowski: Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565 / 9'
Serebrier: Symphonic B A C H Variations for Piano and Orchestra / 19' - World Premiere
Holst: The Planets / 51'

RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra
José Serebrier (conductor)
Alexandre Kantorow (piano)
Ladies of the RTÉ Philharmonic Choir (Guest Chorus Master Desmond Earley)

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradiowebpage.html#!rii=b16_10939562_8861_28-09-2018_

Thanks, nice to see that Serebrier is still going strong and that someone still dares to put on Stoky's Bach orchestration.
I'll listen to the world Premiere later.
He is not only a good conductor but also a good composer. I have some of his symphonies.

Oct 4, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #1,922 of 8,756
Sorry Christer, I forgot that you only like the popular stuff, I will try and up my game and post more of the really well known commercial stuff! :nerd:

But seriously, we just post whatever floats our boat at any particular time but not in any particular order. :santa::high_heel:

Make sure that you watch that concert by tomorrow morning before it gets deleted.

Just finishing listening to this one at the moment and quite like it for a change to my usual melodic preference.

Medtner Forgotten Melodies op.39 - Irina Mejoueva

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #1,923 of 8,756
3wHS8L76qOqfhMtKx8LAh1I7zTYzQ9a076qc1NBUIhzUNbUPtI-QSX1dMgmcRxDiH0aULgNpFRo=s360-c-e100-rwu-v1

Oct 4, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #1,926 of 8,756
Sibelius - Valse Triste (Kuolema) - Neeme Jarvi / The National Orchestra of Sweden

Programme notes:

It is night. The son, who has been watching beside the bedside of his sick mother, has fallen asleep from sheer weariness, Gradually a ruddy light is diffused through the room: there is a sound of distant music: the glow and the music steal nearer until the strains of a valse melody float distantly to our ears. The sleeping mother awakens, rises from her bed and, in her long white garment, which takes the semblance of a ball dress, begins to move silently and slowly to and fro. She waves her hands and beckons in time to the music, as though she were summoning a crowd of invisible guests. And now they appear, these strange visionary couples, turning and gliding to an unearthly valse rhythm. The dying woman mingles with the dancers; she strives to make them look into her eyes, but the shadowy guests one and all avoid her glance. Then she seems to sink exhausted on her bed and the music breaks off. Presently she gathers all her strength and invokes the dance once more, with more energetic gestures than before. Back come the shadowy dancers, gyrating in a wild, mad rhythm. The weird gaiety reaches a climax; there is a knock at the door, which flies wide open; the mother utters a despairing cry; the spectral guests vanish; the music dies away. Death stands on the threshold.

Oct 4, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #1,927 of 8,756
Sorry Christer, I forgot that you only like the popular stuff, I will try and up my game and post more of the really well known commercial stuff! :nerd:

But seriously, we just post whatever floats our boat at any particular time but not in any particular order. :santa::high_heel:

Make sure that you watch that concert by tomorrow morning before it gets deleted.

Just finishing listening to this one at the moment and quite like it for a change to my usual melodic preference.

Medtner Forgotten Melodies op.39 - Irina Mejoueva

I'll stir the pot with some less than popular stuff…

Oct 4, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #1,928 of 8,756
I'll stir the pot with some less than popular stuff…

So you think you would shock me? Did you?
FYI, I actually have Kalevi Aho's Theremin Concerto as a BIS hi res download .
But to be honest I prefer the coupling his Horn Concerto.
I am not much of a fan of any electric, amplified or synthezizer whiff really in my favorite music.
Although I quite like parts of Messian's Turangalila symphony I find the primitive Onde Martenot mainly a disturbance.
Messian was obviously fascinated by it's sounds I am not.
Cheers Christer

Oct 4, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #1,929 of 8,756
So you think you would shock me? Did you?
FYI, I actually have Kalevi Aho's Theremin Concerto as a BIS hi res download .
But to be honest I prefer the coupling his Horn Concerto.
I am not much of a fan of any electric, amplified or synthezizer whiff really in my favorite music.
Although I quite like parts of Messian's Turangalila symphony I find the primitive Onde Martenot mainly a disturbance.
Messian was obviously fascinated by it's sounds I am not.
Cheers Christer

I'm Canadian, we don't do shock:ksc75smile:
For the record, I like Aho's tuba and contrabassoon concertos best

Oct 4, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #1,930 of 8,756
I'm Canadian, we don't do shock:ksc75smile:
For the record, I like Aho's tuba and contrabassoon concertos best

Hi, "north of the border" if you like sonorities and timbres a bit "off the beaten track" so to say, maybe this brand new release from BIS might interest you too.
I have only sampled it so far but I love the sound world and intricate rhythms of Indonesian Gamelan Music and combined with exciting string and wind sonorities I liked it.
Kalevi Aho is an interesting often fascinating composer too imho.
24 FLAC Discount
Mantra – music for sinfonietta

Maybe I should have posted it over at the Contemporary thread but here you go anyway.
PS I used to "cross the border" quite often in the late nineties and early millenium years on my way to and from the Canadian Rockies and California in my Motorhome.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #1,931 of 8,756
Hi, "north of the border" if you like sonorities and timbres a bit "off the beaten track" so to say, maybe this brand new release from BIS might interest you too.
I have only sampled it so far but I love the sound world and intricate rhythms of Indonesian Gamelan Music and combined with exciting string and wind sonorities I liked it.
Kalevi Aho is an interesting often fascinating composer too imho.
24 FLAC Discount
Mantra – music for sinfonietta

Maybe I should have posted it over at the Contemporary thread but here you go anyway.
PS I used to "cross the border" quite often in the late nineties and early millenium years on my way to and from the Canadian Rockies and California in my Motorhome.
Cheers Christer

Sounds interesting, I'll have to look into it. Havent been listening to much Classical as of late to be honest. Mostly Dark Ambient and Doom Metal. If you - or anybody else - can reccy some gloomy, misanthropic Classical works I'd be happy(ish:wink:) to check em out.
Cheers

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #1,932 of 8,756
Last nights "Friday" concert from the National Concert Hall, Dublin.

Note
: that this video will likely only last until next Friday morning before being deleted.

RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra
Jaime Martín conductor
Louis Schwizgebel piano

Bernstein Fancy Free (complete ballet) / 25'
Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue (original jazz band version, orch. Ferde Grofe) /16'
Bartók Concerto for Orchestra /36'

Promotional spiel:
With ‘visionary conductor’ (Platea Magazine) JaimeMartín at the helm, we celebrate the centenary of composer-conductor extraordinaire Leonard Bernstein’s birth with three pieces that changed the course of American music.

New York – the Big Apple, the city that never sleeps; so good they named it twice – in its bustling pomp is the scene for Bernstein’s infectious jazz-tinged Fancy Freefrom 1944. A ballet for people who don’t like ballet (there’s not a tutu in sight and you won’t find any ailing swans or sugar-coated fairies here!) it’s a veritable mash-up of popular tunes of the day, delivered with swaggering American bravura, playful panache and a kaleidoscope of colours that will leave you dizzy, dazzled and delighted.

The street meets the concert hall in Rhapsody in Blue, George Gershwin’s rapturous love song to the ‘metropolitan madness’ of New York. The worlds of jazz and classical music collide in a thrilling display of orchestral brilliance that seethes with more energy, romance and poetry than ought to be packed into 16 exhilarating minutes. And who better to take the high-wire piano part than the ‘brilliant, hugely intense and passionate’ (Crescendo) Louis Schwizgebel?

The roller coaster ride continues with Bartók’s Concerto for Orchestra in which the different sections of the orchestra take centre stage to strut their stuff. ‘Old World’ folk melodies from the composer’s native Hungary are treated to a thundering display of ‘New World’ exuberance that will inject itself straight into your blood stream. Don’t say you haven’t been warned. Or enticed.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=b16_10944251_8861_05-10-2018_

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back